[DISCONTINUED] CM9/ICS Nightly Builds

Search This thread

bigbob23

Feb 21, 2011
Seattle area
Thanks. This is a great service for those of us who don't have a working build environment.

One suggestion--you might consider adding carriage returns to the readme.txt file. Each sentence shows up on a single (long) line.

bobshute

Nov 8, 2010
San Diego
Thanks to all for thier hard work putting this together. I have ICS running on my Vibrant and love it fast and smooth.
I did a sd install using verygreen's method. flshed sneekpeek1, and 2. and a couple of the nightlies ('07, '10). I found a problem on my nook in that the cpu was always pegged to the maximum mhz and would never step down to a lower mhz. This caused significant lag, reboots, sod etc. It happened on sneekpeeak2 and all the nightlies. I couldn't get my Win7 pc to load the proper drivers so I couldn't look at ddms for the logs.
If it's known what might cause this I would love to find out. Thank you.
btw the gapps I used did not have onetimeinitializer.apk in it.

Last edited:

fahadayaz

Mar 21, 2009
Touch recovery?

I'm just wondering if the night CWMs are of the touch variety? ;)

Also, we can't use it to install stock, I believe, but CM7/CM9 are okay?

lekofraggle

Oct 10, 2010
Google Pixel C
I just want to say thank you. This is quite nice. It is pretty smooth on verygreen's sd install.

~Leko

P.S. stupid noob question, does anyone know where the changelog is so I can decide when to reflash?

Last edited:

gbohm

Sep 16, 2010
Thanks to all for thier hard work putting this together. I have ICS running on my Vibrant and love it fast and smooth.
I did a sd install using verygreen's method. flshed sneekpeek1, and 2. and a couple of the nightlies ('07, '10). I found a problem on my nook in that the cpu was always pegged to the maximum mhz and would never step down to a lower mhz. This caused significant lag, reboots, sod etc. It happened on sneekpeeak2 and all the nightlies. I couldn't get my Win7 pc to load the proper drivers so I couldn't look at ddms for the logs.
If it's known what might cause this I would love to find out. Thank you.
btw the gapps I used did not have onetimeinitializer.apk in it.
get alogcat from the market

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

pbot

May 26, 2010
If you look towards the end of verygreens thread, you will see the script edits you need to make to fix the bootloops. The edits remove linking the font and retouch

I just want to point out for the sd-card users using verigreens 1.3 boot image to setup cm7 to run off of sd card and retain stock for various reasons.

That process will also work for ICS/cm9. Currently, you need to flash update-cm-9.0-0-encore-emmc-sneakpeek1-fullofbugs.zip first. It's found in the ics/cm9 dev. thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1370873

Then, flash Samiam's nightly builds otherwise you will get stuck in a boot loop right now.

Sent from my NookColor using xda premium

lekofraggle

Oct 10, 2010
Google Pixel C
For those who are as slow as I am of late, if you want to backup an install on the sd card before flashing an update, just pull the sd card from the nook and image it on your computer using a terminal or disk imaging program.

~Leko

Samiam303

May 15, 2010
Cleveland
www.sphsolutions.net
Unfortunately thats not the case when I search market it doesn't list YouTube app and when I
Google it takes me to mobile YouTube app in market that is not compatible with this device.

Alright, I'll add it back into the gapps. I don't know why it's reporting incompatable from the market.
EDIT: New zip posted. You're welcome to redownload it and see if youtube works correctly.

I just want to say thank you. This is quite nice. It is pretty smooth on verygreen's sd install.

~Leko

P.S. stupid noob question, does anyone know where the changelog is so I can decide when to reflash?

I don't have a changelog since I'm not the one actually making changes to the source. If I know of anything major that changes I'll post about it, but it's generally just small incremental changes that come either from fattire's github or the cyanogenmod one, so you could keep an eye on those if you're really interested.

I'm just wondering if the night CWMs are of the touch variety? ;)

Also, we can't use it to install stock, I believe, but CM7/CM9 are okay?

To be perfectly honest I'm not even using one of the experimental recovery builds. I don't see a reason to when the regular CWM works just as well. I just thought I'd make them available in case anyone else wanted to -- but yes, to my understanding they work for flashing CM roms but not the stock software. I think Fattire posted slightly more info in the development thread, but you'd have to find it.

Last edited:

sdlopez83

Aug 8, 2007
NY-Chile
Anyone getting a wifi issue.when I try to connect to internet connections on routers it never connects. Just saves but can't connect for some reason.

Could I have an outdated kernel. But all I did was flash the zip, telephony, gapps. Im sure the correct kernel came with the rom. 2.6.32.9 fatties.

Sorry if this is noob, I picked up the nook this morning.

Sent from my MB860 using xda premium

Last edited:

stewtang

Jan 8, 2011
Anyone getting a wifi issue.when I try to connect to internet connections on routers it never connects. Just saves but can't connect for some reason.

I have the same problem. I reset my router and it connected immediately. This is a weird issue since i have other devices that stay connected on the same router and toggling wifi on/off on the nook doesn't work. I have reproduced this a few times now.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda premium

sdlopez83

Aug 8, 2007
NY-Chile
I have the same problem. I reset my router and it connected immediately. This is a weird issue since i have other devices that stay connected on the same router and toggling wifi on/off on the nook doesn't work. I have reproduced this a few times now.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda premium

Ill give it a whirl brb

No dice, I also reflashed. Wont connect. Wont connect to my neighbors either. (No password)

Last edited:

shumash

Jun 1, 2008
Google Pixel 3
I just want to point out for the sd-card users using verigreens 1.3 boot image to setup cm7 to run off of sd card and retain stock for various reasons.

That process will also work for ICS/cm9. Currently, you need to flash update-cm-9.0-0-encore-emmc-sneakpeek1-fullofbugs.zip first. It's found in the ics/cm9 dev. thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1370873

Then, flash Samiam's nightly builds otherwise you will get stuck in a boot loop right now.

Thanks. You are the first person I've seen that explained how to get out that boot loop Hades.

barakisbrown

Jul 4, 2010
Round Rock, Texas
WIFI

I just wanted to let everyone know that I am using one of Sam builds plus the gapps and I have not issue with the wifi not connecting. I use a clearspot as my router and I connect with no problem.

Samiam303

May 15, 2010
Cleveland
www.sphsolutions.net
I didn't even think enough was being added to warrant nightly builds.

Arguably there probably isn't. There's not much change from day to day. I just built the script as something to do, and figured I'd share them since it's no extra work. I don't intend to reflash every day myself -- but by building every night, anytime someone new wants to give it a whirl there'll always be a current zip for them to use.

EDIT: There's some discussion of the wifi problem over in the dev thread. I personally haven't experienced it... One guy mentioned he fixed it by putting his router into G-Only mode. I'd suggest that if any of you wants to be helpful in diagnosing the problem you could run the adb logcat command to capture the system log while you try to connect -- Fattire recently posted a really good explanation of logcat over in the development thread.

Last edited:

Rick_V

Feb 9, 2011
Fort White, Fl
I installed this this morning most everything seemed to be working. I shut it down and did a cold boot. it boots up but after the boot most apps quit functioning. I went into recovery using a boot sdcard I have and wiped everything boot, system, etc. Did a re-install and same thing happened everything works fine until I shut it completely down and restart. Has anyone had this happen or am I doing something wrong?

Bondja

Jan 27, 2009
Great work all!!! Can anyone tell me where I can download the original sneakpeak full of bugs files. The links seem to be dead.

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

Great work all!!! Can anyone tell me where I can download the original sneakpeak full of bugs files. The links seem to be dead.

Never mind the link is now active. Thank you. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As of 8/25/12, this project is officially discontinued. All information below is for archival purposes only and will not be supported henceforth.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INTRODUCTION
    Now that Fattire has lifted his request that everyone build their own zips, I've decided to make available the nightly builds I've been generating. I've got an OS X system cranking out a new build every night at midnight, so there will always be an up to date zip available!

Credit for this rom goes to Fattire, Dalingrin, keyodi, nemith, arcee and the the other hard working people over in the development thread, as well as the the CyanogenMod developers and anyone who's done work on the Nook Color. I wish I could list everyone by name but there's so many great people who've made contributions I can't even begin to do so. I'm just building zips from the source; we'd be nowhere without the contributions these great developers have made to this community.

As nighty builds, these zips may not always work. I'll try to remove any zip found to be broken, but you know the drill: All files provided here are to be installed at your own risk. I'm making built zips available, but no warranty is expressed or implied by the hosting of said zips. I'll provide what support I'm able to, but that doesn't mean that there aren't potentially unknown bugs. If you have questions, you should check the development thread or try the #NookColor IRC channnel on irc.freenode.net.

As posted by Fattire slightly further down, anyone feeling adventurous should definitely consider building from source rather than downloading the built zips. Here's his two cents:
    Want to build ICS from raw source code yourself?

It may be a good learning activity, and will certainly make you more self-sufficient. Hundreds have built ICS for Nookcolor successfully, and understanding the process will make you an Android ninja-- PLUS you can try features and bug fixes as-yet-unaccepted-into-the-mainstream build.

Take a look at:

The ICS NookColor Build WalkThrough

However, if you're not quite sold on setting up a development environment but you still want to try the goodness that is Ice Cream Sandwich, proceeed on down to the...

DOWNLOADS
    Without further ado: The Ice Cream Sandwich zips!
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nightly Builds.

The rom does not include the google apps, so you can/should flash the lastest version of those, which is available here.

Finally, I've hosted a few flashable zip files to make small tweaks to the rom. These are all located in the misc. folder on my server. Below is an explanation of each zip and its purpose.

MISC FOLDER INFO

If you notice that some apps are missing from the market, this may be due to the fact that these ICS builds for the nook do not include support for apps which request phone permissions. Although this ideally would be fixed by developers not requesting phone permissions for their app unless it absolutely needs to be phone-specific, you can also fix it by flashing the telephony-permissions-fix.zip file located in the misc folder. You will likely want to flash this file immediately after flashing your rom.

Secondly, if you prefer the old bootanimation from the galaxy nexus, you can also flash the fix-bootanimation.zip located in the Misc. folder, which replace the new CM9 animation it with Homer_S_xda's fixed version. Thanks to Homer for the fix!

NOTES ON INSTALLING TO SD
    I've fixed Verygreen's sd installer image to work with ICS -- you should no longer have to flash SP1 first, or rename the gapps to gapps-gb. If you test out this image, please let me know how it works for you! More recently, Leapinlar has stepped up in helping to fix the image further, increasing its size to allow for the larger size of the new nightlies. Thanks to him for his help -- It's available for download here. Huge thanks to Verygreen for helping me to figure out what needed to be fixed -- in the words of HacDan, "He's not just super helpful, he's a genius". Once you've got the new image, you can use Verygreen's original instructions from his thread on SD Installs, replacing "cm7" with "cm9" where necessary.

IN CONCLUSION
    Please remember to thank the developers working on this project, as they've done seriously awesome things for us in an amazingly short amount of time. If you have questions/comments specifically regarding my zips, please post them here, but if you have more general questions regarding Ice Cream Sandwich on the NC you may want to head on over to the development thread. Finally, if you're really enjoying the rom I'd strongly recommend that you try setting up a build environment and building your own zips -- even though I'm making prebuilt ones available they're no substitute for the experience gained by getting familiar with the build process yourself, and Fattire has done a great job of making it an extremely accessible and rewarding project.
    It seems that a while back my build system broke for some reason, and I just haven't ever had time to focus on getting it back in working order -- I've started a new job and am going back to school, so I think at this point I'm just going to officially discontinue this project and leave you guys in Eyeballer's well qualified hands. Thanks to everyone who used my builds -- this was a fun project for me and I hope you all enjoyed it too.
    And you can build too!

Want to build ICS from raw source code yourself?

It may be a good learning activity, and will certainly make you more self-sufficient. Hundreds have built ICS for Nookcolor successfully, and understanding the process will make you an Android ninja-- PLUS you can try features and bug fixes as-yet-unaccepted-into-the-mainstream build.

Take a look at:

The ICS NookColor Build WalkThrough
    So I've fallen off the forum a bit in recent weeks/months, but it's summer now so I'm back! In the interest of trying to bring this thread back up to date with the new developments, I've FINALLY gotten around to making a change I'd been meaning to make for a long time now -- my builds will now clobber after uploading each nightly to the server, so every one will be a clean scratch build. Hopefully this'll get rid of any issues that may have been kicking around from reusing the code.

EDIT: I also want to thank those helpful posters -- I have leapinlar primarily in mind but there's too many to name individually -- who have been tirelessly providing user support and keeping this thread alive. You guys are a great help to the community!
    I'm sorry, but the poster who comes into a ROM build post for the Nook Color in the Nook Color development section of XDA and says they have dumped it for a Fire because the Fire is faster (duh it has a dual core processor and was released a year later than the Color), is the troll.

Mods you can remove this whole string of off-topic posts started by the troll.

Done... Carry on folks!