Network Selection Issue (T-Mobile)

Search This thread

Stretlow

Jun 3, 2010
Hi,

For 12 months i've been fighting with T-Mobile UK, insisting that theres an issue with their network and poor web speeds with their inept customer service team continuing to blame the handset (even though Ive had two handsets and tested my sim card in others).

Anyway yesterday I finally cracked it, its to do with T-Mobile sharing with Orange.

When I set the network to automatic, most of time it reverts to "T-Mobile Orange" on this I get les than 0.5 meg download speeds however if I manually change it to just the "t-mobile" network I get 4 meg which is what it should be.

The problem is however my Nexus reverts back to Automatic randomly which puts me on Oranges' poor network.

T-Mobile are refusing to help and are insiting I just need to manually select the network despite me saying my phone reverts

My question is, how can I ensure that my nexus only uses the t-mobile network and doesnt revert back to auto?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Stret

Puzzlegirl

Nov 16, 2010
Southampton
Hi,

For 12 months i've been fighting with T-Mobile UK, insisting that theres an issue with their network and poor web speeds with their inept customer service team continuing to blame the handset (even though Ive had two handsets and tested my sim card in others).

Anyway yesterday I finally cracked it, its to do with T-Mobile sharing with Orange.

When I set the network to automatic, most of time it reverts to "T-Mobile Orange" on this I get les than 0.5 meg download speeds however if I manually change it to just the "t-mobile" network I get 4 meg which is what it should be.

The problem is however my Nexus reverts back to Automatic randomly which puts me on Oranges' poor network.

T-Mobile are refusing to help and are insiting I just need to manually select the network despite me saying my phone reverts

My question is, how can I ensure that my nexus only uses the t-mobile network and doesnt revert back to auto?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Stret

I'm sorry I can't help you, but this is interesting. My GNex *never* switches onto T-Mobile Orange unless I force it manually. I had come to think that the Automatic function just doesn't work as my phone is happy to sit there with a totally lost signal. I've found T-Mobile's customer service a million times better than O2, but they're all inept really and if they can't troubleshoot from a list of problems they are incapable of using their brains. Hope you get it sorted out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

GR36

Apr 1, 2011
If you are on tmo-orange signal then you are only on 2g.

The better option would be to change the signal to 3g only. This will stay on tmobile. I have been in T-Mobile for years and have never had a problem with internet speeds. However bare in mind that you will be throttled if you use a lot on the web and walk package

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

David Horn

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 30, 2008
Manchester

The better option would be to change the signal to 3g only. This will stay on tmobile. I have been in T-Mobile for years and have never had a problem with internet speeds. However bare in mind that you will be throttled if you use a lot on the web and walk package

Wrong.

The 3G merger is complete. To be honest, I've only ever noticed appalling download speeds when roaming onto Orange once, but as you say reverting to normal T-Mobile fixes it.

I have mine set to stay on T-Mobile-Orange permanently and it never loses the setting, so it is possible to do.

GR36

Apr 1, 2011
It is far from complete. I do apologise if it'd complete in your area. Didn't take that into account. Buts not complete yet. Last time they showed me a display its was like Swiss cheese below humberside

David Horn

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 30, 2008
Manchester
It is far from complete. I do apologise if it'd complete in your area. Didn't take that into account. Buts not complete yet. Last time they showed me a display its was like Swiss cheese below humberside

Can only go from what I was told by T-Mobile (who provide my work phone) who warned of network disruption in December while the final parts of the 3G network were merged.

Stretlow

Jun 3, 2010
I'm sorry I can't help you, but this is interesting. My GNex *never* switches onto T-Mobile Orange unless I force it manually. I had come to think that the Automatic function just doesn't work as my phone is happy to sit there with a totally lost signal. I've found T-Mobile's customer service a million times better than O2, but they're all inept really and if they can't troubleshoot from a list of problems they are incapable of using their brains. Hope you get it sorted out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

It changes as soon as I move

How do I change it to 3g only, this would obviously solve it

Wrong.

The 3G merger is complete. To be honest, I've only ever noticed appalling download speeds when roaming onto Orange once, but as you say reverting to normal T-Mobile fixes it.

I have mine set to stay on T-Mobile-Orange permanently and it never loses the setting, so it is possible to do.

I was told by a customer service agent just last night that i will be on 2g with Orange, maybe it is area specific.

Thanks for the responces though chaps :)