parsifal968

Mar 14, 2011
My needs:
- underclocking cpu (NOT OVERclock)

- gamma correction for videos too dim

- move apps to microsd.

it's possible only rooting?
or i need also a custom kernel?
i don't want custom recovery and recovery.

sleekmason

Dec 22, 2013
Fayetteville
sleekmason.wordpress.com
My needs:

- move apps to microsd.

If you search throught the forums you will find this answered many times over.
For the sake of simplicity I will do so again here.

Yes, you will want to root your device in order to use the apps for underclocking.
Custom recovery is recommended. TWRP is your starter flavor.
You may use apps like link2sd and app2sd if you have your micro sdcard formatted to fat32 w/ two separate partitions, at least for link2sd.

Gamma has been corrected using a custom kernel on the Google Play Edition of the tablet. If you didn't buy it through the Google Play store, It's not the Google Play Edition.

There are (hopefully) some people working on a gamma corrected kernel for the 500, but as of now it has not been released. There is a thread in the development section on compiling your own kernel should you wish to give it a go. Regards,

Reactions: parsifal968

Pman

Oct 28, 2013
UK
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
My needs:

- move apps to microsd.

- Once rooted, get this app - CPU Tuner
- Like sleekmason mentioned above, no kernel for the v500 version. However you can get this app without root - Screen Adjuster
- Yes you can move apps to microsd. Follow these instructions - Prep SD Card for moving apps
Make sure to only take a maximum of 20% of the SD Card as a partition, e.g. 32GB should have max 6GB for partition.
Once you've done that, follow these steps to Link the apps to sd card - How to use Link2SD

parsifal968

Mar 14, 2011
- Like sleekmason mentioned above, no kernel for the v500 version. However you can get this app without root - Screen Adjuster
- Yes you can move apps to microsd. Follow these instructions - Prep SD Card for moving apps
Make sure to only take a maximum of 20% of the SD Card as a partition, e.g. 32GB should have max 6GB for partition.
Once you've done that, follow these steps to Link the apps to sd card - How to use Link2SD

thanks for the usefull reply...
and now:

1) it's better than setcpu? they underclock also the Gpu?
2) i will do a check.
3) why only 20% max? hour gpad support ext4 or i stick with ext2?

Pman

Oct 28, 2013
UK
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
thanks for the usefull reply...
and now:

1) it's better than setcpu? they underclock also the Gpu?
2) i will do a check.
3) why only 20% max? hour gpad support ext4 or i stick with ext2?

No probs.

1. Not sure about underclocking the GPU, what I do now is that it has profiles similar to setcpu. I would have recommended setcpu, but depends if you want to pay the £1.50 or not. There's plenty more on Playstore, check out the "similar apps" for cputuner/setcpu.
3. I saw it a few times here and there to only use no more than 20%. I think it's the optimal amount for Links2SD to work and with no loss of speed. Also anymore could cause stability issues to the partition and the unallocated space. To be fair, with a 32GB card, 6GB is more than enough space, I have that on my phone and only used 1.5gb with 100+ apps and some system apps on there too. Works great and faster to load apps than on internal.
For the partition, I've used ext4 on my phone, I haven't tried it yet on my g pad (not needed it). Try ext4 first, if the pad doesn't recognise it, then re-partition to ext2.

sleekmason

Dec 22, 2013
Fayetteville
sleekmason.wordpress.com
No probs.

1. Not sure about underclocking the GPU, what I do now is that it has profiles similar to setcpu. I would have recommended setcpu, but depends if you want to pay the £1.50 or not. There's plenty more on Playstore, check out the "similar apps" for cputuner/setcpu.
3. I saw it a few times here and there to only use no more than 20%. I think it's the optimal amount for Links2SD to work and with no loss of speed. Also anymore could cause stability issues to the partition and the unallocated space. To be fair, with a 32GB card, 6GB is more than enough space, I have that on my phone and only used 1.5gb with 100+ apps and some system apps on there too. Works great and faster to load apps than on internal.
For the partition, I've used ext4 on my phone, I haven't tried it yet on my g pad (not needed it). Try ext4 first, if the pad doesn't recognise it, then re-partition to ext2.

Neither ext4 or ext2 were allowed for patitions on the sdcard on my device. This is the gpe which may be different in that, LG may allow for those types.
FAT32 works fine though. I am still working on whats required to allow ext2. Wouldn't think it would be so difficult. I know some of the roms allow for it.

Pman

Oct 28, 2013
UK
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
Neither ext4 or ext2 were allowed for patitions on the sdcard on my device. This is the gpe which may be different in that, LG may allow for those types.
FAT32 works fine though. I am still working on whats required to allow ext2. Wouldn't think it would be so difficult. I know some of the roms allow for it.

Hmm that's strange, I haven't tried so can't tell you if it works or not on v500. There maybe a kernel for the GPE which would allow it, I believe there'es a few in the android development area mostly for GPE (v510).

Edit: Just found this thread, supposedly there's a permission issue on GPE versions, there's a fix though through this post:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48635344

Last edited:

sleekmason

Dec 22, 2013
Fayetteville
sleekmason.wordpress.com
Hmm that's strange, I haven't tried so can't tell you if it works or not on v500. There maybe a kernel for the GPE which would allow it, I believe there'es a few in the android development area mostly for GPE (v510).

Edit: Just found this thread, supposedly there's a permission issue on GPE versions, there's a fix though through this post:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48635344

Heh, I'm am a kernel developer for the 510. In signature.
No, it's not a kernel issue as such. well, maybe, sorta. It is a permissions/fstab problem as far as I can tell. I haven't really messed with that yet. The kernel itself DOES allow for both ext4 and ext2, and if somebody wants it, I'll enable ntfs for the kernel as well.

I will need to rip apart a rom that allows it and see what is on file. That won't happen anytime soon as I am working on other items at the moment.

The link you posted is just to get rw permissions for the sd card. nothing to do with the format thereof.

Pman

Oct 28, 2013
UK
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
Heh, I'm am a kernel developer for the 510. In signature.
No, it's not a kernel issue as such. well, maybe, sorta. It is a permissions/fstab problem as far as I can tell. I haven't really messed with that yet. The kernel itself DOES allow for both ext4 and ext2, and if somebody wants it, I'll enable ntfs for the kernel as well.

I will need to rip apart a rom that allows it and see what is on file. That won't happen anytime soon as I am working on other items at the moment.

The link you posted is just to get rw permissions for the sd card. nothing to do with the format thereof.

Interesting, didn't know that. I've got the 500 but not tried an sdcard yet (only had tab for couple of weeks). Do you know if the permissions is a problem for the 500 too?

Wasn't sure if it was the tab that wasn't reading the ext2/4 formats.

P.s. I'm new, didn't realise you are the kernel god for the LG v510. Apologies :)

Last edited:

sleekmason

Dec 22, 2013
Fayetteville
sleekmason.wordpress.com
Interesting, didn't know that. I've got the 500 but not tried an sdcard yet (only had tab for couple of weeks). Do you know if the permissions is a problem for the 500 too?

P.s. I'm new, didn't realise you are the kernel god for the LG v510. Apologies :)

Lol. It is a google problem as far as the permissions go. They saw a potential for abuse and removed the auto access as such. I don't know if lg left it the same or does what Samsung does and has their own fix.

In the development section under the kernel compile thread, if you read the last page or two you will see where muiriddin is working on a kernel for the 500 that should take care of the gamma issues and such. I believe he has a test kernel compiled and is working on getting it into a useable zip file for your device. There are still a few mysteries to work out ;)

Anyway, there is a thread on these forums (gpad) that discusses the problem and the same fix you found.

Reactions: Pman

Pman

Oct 28, 2013
UK
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
Lol. It is a google problem as far as the permissions go. They saw a potential for abuse and removed the auto access as such. I don't know if lg left it the same or does what Samsung does and has their own fix.

In the development section under the kernel compile thread, if you read the last page or two you will see where muiriddin is working on a kernel for the 500 that should take care of the gamma issues and such. I believe he has a test kernel compiled and is working on getting it into a useable zip file for your device. There are still a few mysteries to work out ;)

Anyway, there is a thread on these forums (gpad) that discusses the problem and the same fix you found.

Naughty Google!

Oh nice, you have many big threads, nice to be speaking to a clever person! Well i'll be happy to test the kernel out for muiriddin when it's up and ready, sound exciting.

sleekmason

Dec 22, 2013
Fayetteville
sleekmason.wordpress.com
Naughty Google!

Oh nice, you have many big threads, nice to be speaking to a clever person! Well i'll be happy to test the kernel out for muiriddin when it's up and ready, sound exciting.

Good Day! Thought you, or whoever else has an interest may like to see this article by chainfire (lead developer),
and this one about android device specific configurations. ( I keep looking at this like there might be some magic there;)

http://www.chainfire.eu/articles/113/Is_Google_blocking_apps_writing_to_SD_cards_/

http://source.android.com/devices/tech/storage/config.html

apparently, the so-so work around for us was initiated by Samsung, and is a dirty hack that they still implement.

I was looking into the init.rc file for the 510 and found:
Code:
mkdir /storage 0751 root sdcard_r
I changed the above to rw thinking I found the golden calf, recompiled the kernel with the adjusted ramdisk and tested it to no avail.

I do however think I'm on the right track.
I dont think the problem is getting the device to user the sdcard(1), as a symlink maybe could do the trick, I think the problem is making it visible to programs like Dolphin when you want to download something, and then getting a request to do so, meaning programs can't arbitrarily write to the sdcard without our explicit permission (root or question).

parsifal968

Mar 14, 2011
Update...

Rooted my gpad and tryed almost all setcpu apps for underclock but no lucky.
At start only core0 seem to do the freq i set (1.2 for example) and others 3 core runs at 1.7 but after some seconds all 4 cores return to 1.7
Tested with perfmon app active and running antutu.
Someone help me!

Sent from my LG-V500 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My needs:

- move apps to microsd.

My needs:

- move apps to microsd.

If you search throught the forums you will find this answered many times over.
    For the sake of simplicity I will do so again here.

Yes, you will want to root your device in order to use the apps for underclocking.
    Custom recovery is recommended. TWRP is your starter flavor.
    You may use apps like link2sd and app2sd if you have your micro sdcard formatted to fat32 w/ two separate partitions, at least for link2sd.

Gamma has been corrected using a custom kernel on the Google Play Edition of the tablet. If you didn't buy it through the Google Play store, It's not the Google Play Edition.

There are (hopefully) some people working on a gamma corrected kernel for the 500, but as of now it has not been released. There is a thread in the development section on compiling your own kernel should you wish to give it a go. Regards,