[Q]Pretty sure my Xoom died..

Search This thread

boredmug

Nov 18, 2008
I was streaming a tv show and paused it and turned the screen off to answer a phone call.. After about a 10 minute conversation i went to turn it back on and nothing... holding down the power button doesn't do ANYTHING. i plugged it into the charger and nothing also. I am rooted with custom kernel installed with setcpu to scale all the way up to 1500mhz. it's been overclocked for a few weeks. When streaming i did notice it getting a couple degrees over 100 fahrenheit but didn't think that much of it cuz my EVO can get a lot hotter. . I didn't buy a warranty through Best Buy so i haven't checked what their return policy is. . I'm sure Motorola has some sort of warranty which i KNOW i voided with the rooting and such.. What should i do? I've only had this thing for less than a month. it's the wifi only version

boredmug

Nov 18, 2008
Weird.. I plugged it into my laptop with the usb and held the power down and it booted.. it's sitting at 89 degrees. . I'm guessing there is a thermal protector? What kinda temperatures should i be careful not to exceed with this thing? i've seen my EVO hit like 112 before..

rajones19

Aug 11, 2010
Might have just been a lock-up. Did you try to reboot it by holding down Power and Volume Up? That's saved me a few times when things came to a crashing halt.

willverduzco

User Experience Admin
Staff member
Apr 30, 2010
Manassas, VA
Might have just been a lock-up. Did you try to reboot it by holding down Power and Volume Up? That's saved me a few times when things came to a crashing halt.

+1. I also assume that it may be a lockup. If it happens again, try holding down Power and Volume Up as Rajones19 said. This has saved me several times as well.

Last edited:

antiguangenius

Apr 14, 2008
NYC
I would try to remove OC, running using at 1.5 makes CPU generate more head and for the form factor I dont believe it can cool enough... maybe it doesnt bother people that does normal stuff but if you going to run hi def movies and games it will max out cpu and generate massive heat and like xbox 360 may cause chip to rise off main board.....