Galaxy Nexus Screen - What's Normal, What's Not. (Photos!)

Search This thread

lee.jarratt

Dec 17, 2010
Kingston upon Hull
Hey guys,

I've just received my first replacement handset as the previous one was very grainy on low brightness and had a purple tint. This replacement handset is worse than the last, the backlight is brighter at the bottom of the screen and gets darker as you look towards the top, an issue my previous handset didn't have.

Anyway, I'm exchanging the phone for yet another one and hoping the display will be okay.. On this call however I mentioned this thread and have given the rep I was speaking to the URL which he will give to one of the managers at Phones 4u HQ and they will look/investigate the issue further. I don't know how much this helps but I'm hoping for something at least.

I will update once I receive my 2nd replacement in around 5-6 days.

Last edited:

fyresoul

Apr 8, 2010
Austin
Well I allways hated iOS but as I got an iphone (was just curious and the contract was at a good price) I ****ing loved it. Well only with jailbreak tho, without its stupid. But thats not the subject here.
I agree with you, the retina Display is ****ing awesome, alltho from what I saw in Videos the Display vom the Galaxy Nexus isnt that bad, at least not depending on colors (Compared to the retina display they are a lot better) its not as sharp as retina but from what I saw it was pretty good (?)

Im kinda scared from what I've read here tho, I would really like that phone but not under this conditions.

Is it just for US phones or for every phone?
And are there any fixed models yet?

The Ironic thing here is that Samsung makes the awesome new iPad retina displays

G

--GNex--

But the display is awesome ;) I would prefer a petter white than black ! How many pages i open which are completly black and how many are white !!! You know what I mean ;)

Flashed AOKP and Franco Kernel..fixed colors with his app and display is fine now, but it cant be a soloution to root the phone and flash kernel to fix display issues !

I will refund it on monday...hope Ill get a better display this time..5th already..
Gesendet von meinem Galaxy Nexus mit Tapatalk 2

jeNova-

Mar 16, 2011
So, this is serious for me, I was almost sure to get a galaxy nexus, but if its true what I read in that thread I will definitely not buy one.

So my questions are, is it really just on lowest brightness in the dark (So under normal use, with normal brightness you wont notice anything) or is the display (or settings, whatever) really that bad? I mean if its that bad, why is the phone even out? lol. These are heavy issues for me.

And is it really possible to COMPLETLY fix it with custom kernel and a custom rom?
If so its not that big of a problem for me, since I will install a custom rom anyways I guess.

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
So, this is serious for me, I was almost sure to get a galaxy nexus, but if its true what I read in that thread I will definitely not buy one.

So my questions are, is it really just on lowest brightness in the dark (So under normal use, with normal brightness you wont notice anything) or is the display (or settings, whatever) really that bad? I mean if its that bad, why is the phone even out? lol. These are heavy issues for me.

And is it really possible to COMPLETLY fix it with custom kernel and a custom rom?
If so its not that big of a problem for me, since I will install a custom rom anyways I guess.

yes and no

G

--GNex--

I fixed my display and looks great now with AOKP and Faux kernel

Gesendet von meinem Galaxy Nexus mit Tapatalk 2

sblantipodi

Nov 7, 2011
I can see texture in white and grey screens, there are lines of different hue.
This display sucks.
I use the display at 50% brightness

asb123

Dec 15, 2009
Vancouver
My phone is the example for "Tint Fade at 0% brightness"

I just want to say that it has significantly improved since I first bought my phone 3ish months ago.

jeNova-

Mar 16, 2011

But if the display is that bad under normal usage (and from what I read here I'd say really ****ing bad) why isnt it mentioned in ANY review i've seen/read? oO

And about custom rom + custom kernel, I've read that its possible tho. I just wanna know how good it actually fixes the screen.

Just wanna have some good statement if thats possible.

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
But if the display is that bad under normal usage (and from what I read here I'd say really ****ing bad) why isnt it mentioned in ANY review i've seen/read? oO

And about custom rom + custom kernel, I've read that its possible tho. I just wanna know how good it actually fixes the screen.

Just wanna have some good statement if thats possible.

when you talk about reviews, you mean from members or sites.
the phone does have one of the best screen available, but thats if the problem does not exist, and many people does have a perfect phone, but not all.

I cannot comment about custom roms, but it's not the proper solution to deal with this problem if it does exist, you're only covering up the problem, it is actually a hardware problem and i'm sure no roms or kernal will fix it.

marcusva79

Feb 5, 2010
Little Elm, TX
Went into the sprint store today and they will not replace my phone. Just bought it Sunday and its purple at the greys at 0 brightness. And whites are grainy and just saw blacks spots on an all black screen. out to return the phone back and not get one at all.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

Last edited:
Reactions: Seikei925

resynx

Jun 14, 2010
Went into the sprint store today and they will not replace my phone. Just bought it Sunday and its purple at the greys at 0 brightness. And whites are grainy and just saw blacks spots on an all black screen. out to return the phone back and not get one at all.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

They should have to replace your phone no matter what because you just bought it on Sunday.

I just recieved another Nexus yesterday from Negri (after my first screen mysteriously messed up) and the purple hue was so bad on this one that I am sending it back, now it's back to the waiting game :(
I really can't believe that this problem is so big, Google and / or Samsung really dropped the ball on the screen. I hope I do not have to change this phone out +7 times like many others I am reading about.

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
They should have to replace your phone no matter what because you just bought it on Sunday.

I just recieved another Nexus yesterday from Negri (after my first screen mysteriously messed up) and the purple hue was so bad on this one that I am sending it back, now it's back to the waiting game :(
I really can't believe that this problem is so big, Google and / or Samsung really dropped the ball on the screen. I hope I do not have to change this phone out +7 times like many others I am reading about.

to be honest people with the sony xperia S are having a bigger problem.:p

I went through 7-8 phones in store and 2 phones with invoice issued, but i'm lucky as I only need to take the phone in store. I had no problem with the colour on all units, just dead/bright pixels, scratched inside of screen, dust in screen and a dinted screen (tiny crack), now I have a totally perfect phone.

Last edited:

jeNova-

Mar 16, 2011
If I buy a Galaxy Nexus, I see it has screen issues (like 80% of the galaxy nexus's seem to have) i flash a custom rom and a custom kernel to try to fix it, it doesnt work.

Will they still give me another phone? Probably dont because of the custom rom?

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
If I buy a Galaxy Nexus, I see it has screen issues (like 80% of the galaxy nexus's seem to have) i flash a custom rom and a custom kernel to try to fix it, it doesnt work.

Will they still give me another phone? Probably dont because of the custom rom?

flash back to stock.

marcusva79

Feb 5, 2010
Little Elm, TX
Nope they still didnt exchange it. I give up on there bull****. Purple tint only happens at 15% so I wont dim my screen :) havent rooted yet but i will and see whats ups. Sprint store sucks out here. The Nexus has been out for a while on Verizon I kinda figured they got there **** right now but didnt. Got insurance on my phone so if it does get worse. Cha ching....new phone. :)

Ravynmagi

Nov 2, 2010
I returned my last two Galaxy Nexus phones because of purple tint. I have a third coming today (got the $400 one from Google Play). Really hoping the third time is the charm.

I really want a Nexus phone. But getting tired of having to keep sending phones back. I used to love AMOLED displays, my Galaxy S Vibrant looks so nice. But the Galaxy Nexus has made me an AMOLED hater. Hope the next Nexus sticks with LCD.

alangrig

Oct 15, 2010
Riga
So here is correctly-calibrated screen 1st one on the left. See attachment.

Attachments

• GalaxyNexus_Purple.jpg
    GalaxyNexus_Purple.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 883

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Got the Nexus today and having no experience with the AMOLED screens (iPhones and EVO before) I'm not sure what is considered normal and what is defective. I know there are plenty of threads about this, but very few examples.

Whites (Brightness 0-100%)

whites-1.gif

Greys (Brightness 0-100%)

blacks-1.gif

More Texture (bad) left, Less Texture (good) right.

nexuscompare1.jpg

Viewing Angle - UPDATE: My new Nexus has much less tint when viewed at an angle. *Colors adjusted to match as close as possible in Adobe Lightroom - and they are very close.

compareViewingAngle.jpg
    nexuscompare2.jpg

Viewing Angle - At extreme angles the screen with produce an iridescent effect.

rainbownexus.jpg

Courtesy of TAMIM2007 - Left Galaxy nexus / right Galaxy 1

2c.JPG

Courtesy of iansmith

Galaxy Nexus OLED's with a black screen showing red and green pixels are indeed slightly lit even though it should be "black" (15 second exposure).

AMOLED-BLack.gif

Galaxy Nexus "black" vs LCD "black" (15 second exposure).

LCDvsAMOLED.gif

THESE ARE DEFECTS Exchange these phones... You shouldn't have to live like this!

Courtesy of asb123 - Tint Fade at 0% brightness.

tint_fade.jpg

Courtesy of staticx57 - Black spots on a dark screen. Very common issue, odds are your replacement screen will have these, too.

black_spots.jpg

Courtesy of blackhand1001 - Image Retention issues.

image_retention.jpg

Courtesy of tonnytech - Banding and Transparent Lines

banding.jpg
    lines.jpg

If other people want to add their own pictures for analysis I'll try and add them to the first post so people new to the AMOLED world can feel better about theirs/exchange for a new one.
    So here is correctly-calibrated screen 1st one on the left. See attachment.
    Just dont deal with screen issues that you dont notice every day and are not that big problem. If in 99.9% situations the screen is ok let i be, we are still not in age where everything will be perfect. I compared display with Iphone 4S and be happy guys. It has much better colors (not sure with white). Black is much much more black and other colors are more richer. 4.0.2 factory also increased minimal brightness so this paper pattern is no longer big deal. I was really worried about display when I bought it but now everything is ok. In the evenings I switch on the screen (to look at clock) and black merges with borders and I just see beatiful screen :). btw its just Super Amoled HD not plus. Plus should be still in development and maybe it will appear in Galaxy S3 I would rather if not (it feels better if you know there isnt better display). Some models have issues but I dont know smartphone or just phone which dont.
    I found this on another thread on a different forum and it does show the inconsistencies of the display.

If you turn down brightness all the way down to the left and can see how greys might become purple.

See attached images. These are 3 different models all with brightness at the lowest from the settings menu.

Of course on mine once I turn brightness up a bit it goes back to normal, so not sure if it really means much.
    I have corrected color balance using application "Screen Adjuster 1.6"
    (it's free application)

Settings
    Red +0
    Green +0
    Blue +6

Now the color balance is much better for me :)