Review: Nite Ize Steelie Car Mount

Search This thread

Eris _2.1_2010

May 13, 2010
South Bend, IN
Just picked this up today at a local farm store (Rural King) for $14.91. I'm Pretty shocked I found it this cheap, since its retailing for $34.99 on NiteIze's website. https://www.niteize.com/product/Steelie-Car-Mount-Kit.asp. It comes with an alcohol swipe, for prepping the area you'll be sticking Steelie too. There's also a 3M primer stick for when applying onto a soft, vinyl, rubber, or textured surface.

I like how it's a ultra minimal car mount and can be placed just about anywhere with its 3M VHB foam adhesive. I've got the magnetic metal backplate attached to my Speck case, which will hold my phone during travel. I've attached some pics and will update how this mount handles in my large car. If it performs good here it'll work in probly any situation. Also it'll stick to almost any metal surface, like my refrigerator lol. I stuck my phone to a metal picnic table and the neodymium magnet is strong enough to to move/wiggle the table before it lets go.

Update: 5/19 After 314 miles of bouncing around, I can say this is a very solid car mount.

y5yvazu8.jpg

ejehuhuz.jpg

su3u5are.jpg

uhe3ypu2.jpg

ysy9enat.jpg

ne9ypa9e.jpg

5uja2uja.jpg

Sent From My Galaxy S5 Far Far Away

Last edited:

Eris _2.1_2010

May 13, 2010
South Bend, IN
How was the backplate attached on your case?
Like, is it removable?

It's attached with the adhesive foam tape. Personally I've removed it to get it more towards the center of my case and have had no issues. I would think if the adhesive wore out you could get the 3M double sided 11 psi tape and repair it that way. Also there is replacements sold on the website.

du5u5e9e.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: justanotherasian

justanotherasian

May 15, 2014
It's attached with the adhesive foam tape. Personally I've removed it to get it more towards the center of my case and have had no issues. I would think if the adhesive wore out you could get the 3M double sided 11 psi double sided tape and repair it that way. Also there is replacements sold on the website.

du5u5e9e.jpg

So it's just stuck on with tape, meaning i would have to remove the phone from the case if i didn't want a case with extra thickness?

Eris _2.1_2010

May 13, 2010
South Bend, IN
So it's just stuck on with tape, meaning i would have to remove the phone from the case if i didn't want a case with extra thickness?

Yes. I chose to stick it to my case since this Speck case scuffs up easily. I'll be getting another case that I'll use outside my truck. I have no problem swapping cases when I get ready to drive or get out of my truck. Also I don't really mind it on my Speck case currently since it provides a little lift and makes the speaker sound better. I don't notice the back plate either in my pocket.

ve7upy7u.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: justanotherasian

justanotherasian

May 15, 2014
Yes. I chose to stick it to my case since this Speck case scuffs up easily. I'll be getting another case that I'll use outside my truck. I have no problem swapping cases when I get ready to drive or get out of my truck. Also I don't really mind it on my Speck case currently since it provides a little lift and makes the speaker sound better. I don't notice the back plate either in my pocket.

ve7upy7u.jpg

Well then, this sounds like something I might want now... You've got me convinced. Haha :good:

Except now I have to find where it's sold for $15. It's crazy expensive online.......

Reactions: Eris _2.1_2010

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Like, is it removable?
    Like, is it removable?

It's attached with the adhesive foam tape. Personally I've removed it to get it more towards the center of my case and have had no issues. I would think if the adhesive wore out you could get the 3M double sided 11 psi tape and repair it that way. Also there is replacements sold on the website.

du5u5e9e.jpg

ve7upy7u.jpg

ve7upy7u.jpg

Well then, this sounds like something I might want now... You've got me convinced. Haha :good:

Except now I have to find where it's sold for $15. It's crazy expensive online.......
    Nice Freightliner

TA4S on my Galaxy S5