Stuck in recovery loop

Search This thread

godlyatheist

Jun 30, 2012
I was helping my friend switch to a custom rom and I messed up. His One XL was on 4.1.1 with 3.18 software. I managed to temporarily change the CID by followin guides and unlock the bootloader using htcdev.com. The problem began after I tried to flash boot.img, from an One X rom because I thought this is a One X(ATT's naming). Now the device is stuck in a recovery boot loop. Once in a while I can get out of it and get to the bootloader. From there I'd erase cache, flash new recovery (TWRP for One XL), flash correct boot.img, go into recovery and flash rom. However, upon finishing install the reboot will start the recovery boot loop again. The phone keeps trying to boot recovery instead of normal boot on restart and gets stuck. I've tried both CWM and TWRP, wiped many times, but it refuses to boot normally. Every time after the logos for the rom plays the phone reboots. Unlocked bootloader but no root or S-off. What can I do?

Thanks

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
What ROM are you tying to flash? And are you sure you're flashing the boot.img from that ROM zip?

Out of interest, is there a reason your friend isn't doing this himself? Handing an unlocked phone to someone who hasn't undergone the learning experience of actually unlocking the device and researching the ins and outs of a modified phone is a pretty terrible idea.

Sent from my Evita

Last edited:

marknoll

May 13, 2014
Wouldn't it be advisable if he formatted and ran a ruu? Sounds like he messded up his bootloader with a incompatible ROM.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
He can't run an RUU. The fact that he flashed a boot.img would suggest that he's s-on, he mentioned changing the CID which suggests that he has SuperCID. S-on + SuperCID + jb RUU = brick.

Sent from my Evita

marknoll

May 13, 2014
Uh oh. Nothing can be done....?
?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk