[DISCUSSION] Xperia S battery life

Search This thread

blacksheepvn

Mar 29, 2012
Battery life

What the best way to charging? Turn off power to charging or charging when power on.
I've just upgrade to .73 but seem be nothing changed.

thanks,

rmk152

Jun 14, 2009
I appear to be losing 1% per hour on standby whilst at work in locker, also Angry birds space took a whopping 9% from 100% after a few minutes play.

6.0.A.3.67

Kengsta

Oct 21, 2008
I have been reading this entire thread and I have a suggestion which is more sensible that many I have read here;
To massively increase battery life hold the phone in your left hand and a live rooster in your right while there is a new moon.
Dance around a fire started with branches from a Pohutakawa tree while barking at the new moon.
This should work as well as many of the responses I have read here.

LL13- :rolleyes:

does this work if I hold the rooster in my left hand? plz tell me

dragon546

Sep 28, 2007
Essex
Fast Dormancy had an impact on my SGS2 when I had one you could turn it off on that phone but I don't think you can on the XS

steelmm

Jun 20, 2008
Google Pixel 6 Pro
OnePlus 10 Pro
Hey guys
I have got more power with the phone by simply underclocking the device and changing the voltage with the cpu core using an app called proton voltage and voltage control lite
I am getting alot more battery power with these apps running but you need your phone rooted to use
Also turn of your brighteness to alow setting and use juice defender to manage wifi
This works guys no probs just as good as an iphone 4s for the battery lasting now

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

PollPixx

Apr 27, 2009
I have been reading this entire thread and I have a suggestion which is more sensible that many I have read here;
To massively increase battery life hold the phone in your left hand and a live rooster in your right while there is a new moon.
Dance around a fire started with branches from a Pohutakawa tree while barking at the new moon.

Damn i have to wait for a new moon....
Or can i download the unlocked full moon app somewhere? Nevermind, I have to work at my barking skills first, i skipped barking class twice this month and need some practice....

Verstuurd van mijn LT26i met Tapatalk

shmoejoe

Jan 9, 2011
Zuid-Holland
So this is my update after a full days use, and I must say post .73, the battery life is amazing with my use :) I'm sitting in the 30's so I can easily last overnight and into the morning probably.

Most of the day with WiFi on, and a good bit of the day with Bluetooth and music streaming. Lots of texting and XDA browsing, and a few app installations :)

I also didnt have that wake process frozen.

screenshot_2012-03-30_2053.jpg

screenshot_2012-03-30_2053_1.jpg

Not bad at all, I am actually a little impressed now :)

Bosszwo

Mar 27, 2012
So this is my update after a full days use, and I must say post .73, the battery life is amazing with my use :) I'm sitting in the 30's so I can easily last overnight and into the morning probably.

Most of the day with WiFi on, and a good bit of the day with Bluetooth and music streaming. Lots of texting and XDA browsing, and a few app installations :)

I also didnt have that wake process frozen.

View attachment 973789

View attachment 973790

Not bad at all, I am actually a little impressed now :)

Hi
Official update forum holland? Or are your rooted?

LMAO :-D Quality mate, quality.

Sent from my LT26i using xda premium

wing_zero8556

May 22, 2010
My battery life improved a little bit overnight.. dropped 5% in about 8hrs. But on my X10 cell standby would be the thing that showed most usage overnight but on Xperia S it is "android system" which is using most of my battery overnight! It says keep awake: 3hr 23min, is anyone elses like this as well?

edit: Installed betterbatterystats and it shows that alarm manager is keeping it awake and the intent is com.sonyericsson.android.wakeup as discussed earlier in the thread. I have frozen it in titanium and have also renamed the .apk in root manager but it is still running somehow

Last edited:
G

GuestX00810

I had this problem since last Saturday that I purchased the phone. Overnight, with NOTHING running and totally stock, no GPS, WIFI or 3G, I would lose 30-40% of my battery charge.

So last night, I upgraded to 0.73 using flashtool, and voila, only lost 2% in 9 hours. Two percent! Brilliant!

Again, I did nothing else (no battery recalibration, no rooting, no process freezing, NOTHING) but upgrade to 0.73. Problem solved.

Yakandu

Apr 9, 2011
Bilbao
My battery life is good enough. Unless i start playing games of course xD

3 short calls 5 sms some web browsing and some Wifi downloading =50%battery/24h

Im calculating usages and 15min Display On (30% brightness) = 1h Music (Volume 50%) = 12h inactive.

WTF display? yes, i know its 720px display but... WTF?

Wakeup and unused apps frozen (timescape, office, music/video unlimited, stock Gallery, Browser, email, music/video sharing, google books/videos, etc)

PD: im on UK .67

Last edited:

mateusz243

Feb 26, 2010
Manchester
My screen uses about 70-80% of the battery it's ridiculous :mad:
I set up the brightness on 50% and switched the bravia engine off and still drains loads of battery. Also it drains about 23% overnight with wifi/bluetooth/gps/data off. Can someone give few tips how to fix the battery problem? :)

Last edited:

ssj_jaypee

Dec 4, 2010
Republic of Toronto
My screen uses about 70-80% of the battery it's ridiculous :mad:
I set up the brightness on 50% and switched the bravia engine off and still drains loads of battery. Also it drains about 23% overnight with wifi/bluetooth/gps/data off. Can someone give few tips how to fix the battery problem? :)

Are you using the latest update?
Also bravia engine does nothing unless you view pictures/movies.

Is your phone new? Give it 2-3 weeks for the battery to settle too.
Drain it completely, then charge fully. Do this process a few times.

I can get a full day of use now and my battery only drops 5% overnight.

Battery only becomes an issue if you're not able to charge it. People who mention" my battery drains x amount over night", do you not put it on charge while you're asleep?
I get at least a day ( while I'm awake) of use and that's all I need. If you're at home have it on charge while you use it.
I don't understand this obsession with trying to get your battery to last for days,if your in the middle of nowhere, fair enough but come on guys, seriously!
It would be nice to be able to have a battery that lasts days on a single charge,but unless you get a simple txt and call phone it ain't gonna happen.

Sent from my LT26i using xda premium

mateusz243

Feb 26, 2010
Manchester
Are you using the latest update?
Also bravia engine does nothing unless you view pictures/movies.

Is your phone new? Give it 2-3 weeks for the battery to settle too.
Drain it completely, then charge fully. Do this process a few times.

I can get a full day of use now and my battery only drops 5% overnight.

No im not using the latest update and yes the phone is new I get it a week ago. I always drain the battery completely until the phone switches off by itself. I saw that other users have about 50% usage of screen i just checked and I got 79%:confused:. I shall wait few more weeks and see how it goes hope ICS update will help a lot :p

intellix

Aug 1, 2010
As I had promised earlier (in the ver73 firmware thread), here is my observation based on a moderate usage using the new firmware. The battery looks freaking awesome now. Its been more than 26hours now and I still have 50% juice remaining.
I have used my phone with WIFI switched on for more than 12 hours. Rest of the time I had 3G On. The Gmail,Facebook and Google contacts sync is turned on. The GPS is turned ON as well.
Screen brightness is set to 30% (which is more than enough for me, When I need more I just turn the backlight ON temporarily.). I didnot play games. However, I did some light internet surfing and had voice calls for around 40-45mins. I also sent a few sms.

The stats look freakingly awesome. The guys have certainly done a great job in ver 73. And with out feedback on what else needs to be improved, this can only get better when ICS comes in.
(Note: I am on Non Rooted Stock version of ver 73 with no customizations.)

Attachments

• battery.jpg
    battery.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 393
  • download2.jpg
    download2.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 435

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just did some tests on browsing time 15% brightness vs. 50% brightness and got some interesting results.

I did test in Dolphin with "tab reload" add-on set on 1minute. The site I was reloading was technobuffalo which is really heavy to load. But before testing brightness I was curious what is difference in battery usage desktop vs. mobile website on 50% brightness. And the difference was really obvious.

Desktop site was so power consuming, that the phone got a bit hot. And in 30 minutes it ate 15% of battery. So, 3 hours of browsing and only 10% to spare.

But luckily mobile sites are a lot friendlier. In 30 minutes 12% on 50% brightness, so 4 hours of browsing and 4% to spare. But the most interesting part was when I changed the brightness to 15% and I got the exact same results. 30 minutes 12%...

And then I wanted to isolate web browsing so I tried the same tests in airplane mode in case of mobile network eating battery.
    Without network connection half an hour of browsing mobile sites ate 10% of battery with 50% brightness. So, exactly 5 hours of browsing to 0%. But what happens with 15% brightness? Nothing much, 30 minutes 9%. That means 5 hours and 10% to spare, or 5 hours and 30 minutes and 1% left.

Is it really worth to hurt your eyes on 15%???
    Do you know what? It irritates me reading you people moaning about battery life, it's a high definition phone with an awesome screen, if you want your battery to last a few days, go get a cheap phone that does nothing but txt and calls:mad:

Sent from my HTC HD2 using xda premium
    As I said I did battery tests with the new Jelly Bean in web browsing and video playback and I must say that difference is really really obvious.

I did the same tests as before with ICS and compared them.

All my tests in browsing were done in dolphin browser with auto reload plugin put on 1 min reload. Website I tested was TechnoBuffalo because it is quite a heavy load. Brightness was at 50%.

To quicky freshen up, my previous results with ICS are found here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=37103064 and I will include them for easier comparison.

In ICS browsing desktop pages was really battery consuming so the first test I did was this.
    Half an hour of reloading desktop version of TechnoBuffalo every minute did consume 15% in ICS. So in 3 hours 90% would be gone, not a very good result.

But in Jelly Bean the same test ate only 10% of battery. Pretty good improvment right? 1 hour 20% so 5 hours till the phone dies. Almost 2 hours of improvement which is really great.

screenshot2013-05-30-18-.png
    screenshot2013-05-30-18-.png

And next is mobile version. My previous result on ICS was 12% in 30 minutes so in 4 hours you would be left with 4%. Not that good but at least better than desktop sites.

Result in Jelly Bean was so surprising that I had to redo the test once more, because I couldn't believe my eyes. In 30 minutes only 7% of battery was gone so 1 hour 14% and if we calculate, we get 7 hours with 2% to spare. WOW, right? This is whole 3 hours more which is pretty huge improvment.

screenshot2013-05-30-19-.png
    screenshot2013-05-30-19-.png

And I got curious what would really heavy load do to battery usage. I did another test with the same mobile version but with 15 second reload which is pretty hard because it loads almost all the time. It loads the page and there it goes again.
    The results aro also pretty good. 10% in 30 minutes so basically the same as desktop site - 5 hours of browsing but I don't know who would load new page every few seconds in real life.

screenshot2013-05-31-01-.png
    screenshot2013-05-31-01-.png

Last test was video playback. I tried 720p video in mp4 and mkv to see if there is any difference. And I also tried if there is any difference between Sony's movie player and BS player. But in all tests I got the same result - 9% in half an hour. So 5 hours with 10% to spare. In ICS I got same 5 hours but with 0% to spare so some improvment is there but not that amazing as web browsing.

screenshot2013-05-30-22-.png
    screenshot2013-05-30-22-.png

So Jelly Bean is a massive improvment in terms of battery usage comparing to ICS and I am really happy with it.
    You guys should've bought the Xperia SP, S is sooo outdated and weak

You're absolutely right, I should've hopped on my time machine, gone to the future, and gotten that phone

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    I m gone... stay with your beautyfull piece of ... and stay at least two years behind good technology... lol. Bye bye looser.
    |
    |

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

Virgin detected.
    Fap less, read more.

Desde el celular.