No Chromecast button in NetFlix? Simple fix! [ROOT REQUIRED]

Search This thread

dzap

Jan 6, 2008
So certain Android devices are getting pushed this older, tackier and less functional version of NetFlix.

I have a Droid Bionic and a Nexus 4 and some cheap Kyocera running ICS.

The Nexus 4 and cheap Kyocera had the latest NetFlix version with Chromecast capability, yet the Droid Bionic did not.

After reading this from another user, I thought of a simple workaround for this.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2380956

Seems Netflix pushes out an older version of Netflix for some reason to certain devices without Chromecast, even though they are capable of using it.

To fix this simply edit two lines in build prop.

1.) Download Build.Prop editor from Google Play
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrummy.apps.build.prop.editor

2.) Give it root permissions if asked.

3.) Open the app and swipe from the left and click on "create backup:" This is just in case you mess it up, you can restore it later or if Netflix pushes out an update that fixes your device.

4.) Either scroll around until you find these two entries, or simply use the search button in the app.

Code:
ro.product.model
ro.product.manufacturer

I just changed it to a Nexus S. You can change the values to some other device if you know your way around build.prop, otherwsie just use the values I have provided.

So for sake of simplicity, I changed

ro.product.model to Nexus S

and

ro.product.manufacturer to samsung

Tap save on both entries and reboot! That's it!

Before
EOcf55J.png

AFTER
RZ1ORbH.png

If for any reason this causes any issues with your other apps, simply restore the build.prop you backed up earlier in build prop editor, and reboot. That's it!

mayhem85

Jul 26, 2012
Not working for me.

Details:

ATT HTC One X
ROM: Cm 10.1 (4.2.2) nightlies

So certain Android devices are getting pushed this older, tackier and less functional version of NetFlix.

The Nexus 4 and cheap Kyocera had the latest NetFlix version with Chromecast capability, yet the Droid Bionic did not.

After reading this from another user, I thought of a simple workaround for this.

Seems Netflix pushes out an older version of Netflix for some reason to certain devices without Chromecast, even though they are capable of using it.

3.) Open the app and swipe from the left and click on "create backup:" This is just in case you mess it up, you can restore it later or if Netflix pushes out an update that fixes your device.

4.) Either scroll around until you find these two entries, or simply use the search button in the app.

Code:
ro.product.model
ro.product.manufacturer

I just changed it to a Nexus S. You can change the values to some other device if you know your way around build.prop, otherwsie just use the values I have provided.

and

Before
EOcf55J.png

AFTER
RZ1ORbH.png

If for any reason this causes any issues with your other apps, simply restore the build.prop you backed up earlier in build prop editor, and reboot. That's it!

Reactions: 4Freedom

mista_young

Aug 9, 2007
I have mine working, took a minute. in each box i just type in droid just as you see here Uninstall Netflix and reinstall you should be good to go.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1375819290199.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375819290199.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 906

nmatulich

Apr 27, 2013
Would sideloading the be easier

If you didn't want to root your device, couldn't you just sideload the netflix app with the listed build #.

welbinator

Jul 19, 2010
wouldn't you need to reinstall the netflix app after you make this change?

didn't work for me. I have 2 ro.product.model one has a value of HTC EVO View 4G and the other had a model number. I changed the one to Nexus S and the other to the Nexus S model number I9022. Changed manufacturer to samsung, rebooted and no chromecast button. uninstalled netflix reinstalled netflix, no dice.

question: in my haste, I forgot to make a backup of my build.prop. any way of getting the old one back if I need to?

Last edited:

welbinator

Jul 19, 2010
First of all, I got it working thanks for this post! LOVE IT.

I tried this several times with no results. There's a couple things I had to do to get this to work.

First of all, when I open the build prop app, and search for those two lines of code, I tap on it and it gives me two boxes. one says ro.product.model and the second box said HTC EVO VIEW 4G (or something to that effect). If I changed it to say "Nexus S" like you instructed, and rebooted, it would not save it. I would open the build prop app and it still thought it was an evo. same for ro.product.manufacturer. still said HTC. Also, I have two ro.product.model. one said HTC EVO VIEW 4G and the other had the model number.

So, what I did was uninstall Netflix.

Then, in order to get the build.prop to actually save, I had to tap the pencil in the top right, which then gives you a long list of the build.prop values, and you could tap on one, backspace and edit it. I edited both my ro.product.models to reflect the nexus S model, and the manufacturer to samsung. Instead of the two boxes, it just shows ro.product.model=HTC EVO VIEW 4G and I changed it to ro.product.model=Nexus S.

I rebooted, and lo and behold, it saved this time! Then I reinstalled Netflix (I had already tried this without uninstalling netflix and reinstalling it, and it didn't work) and viola! the cast button showed up!

So to sum it up, I recommend the following steps:

Step 1: uninstall Netflix
Step 2: download the build.prop app
Step 3: open build.prop app
Step 4: tap pencil in top right
Step 5: scroll down, find ro.product.model and ro.product.manufacturer and edit them as instructed
Step 6: reboot device
Step 7: re-install netflix
Step 8: buy the OP of this thread a beer.

stewtang

Jan 8, 2011
I'll I had to do was start Netflix from another device and open the Netflix app on the device in question. Automatically updated itself, no root , no build prop edit and no installing a new Netflix app

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Reactions: chateau1

chateau1

Sep 19, 2012
I'll I had to do was start Netflix from another device and open the Netflix app on the device in question. Automatically updated itself, no root , no build prop edit and no installing a new Netflix app

I can confirm this worked for me as well.

My Galaxy S3 with a fresh install of Netflix did not have the ' Cast ' Icon. I started Netflix on my NeoTV Prime and then started Netflix on my Galaxy S3. It took considerable time loading with the spinning Icon on a Netflix screen but when it did start I had the ' Cast ' Icon.

pmgreen

Apr 17, 2012
Had this working, flashed to a new ROM now can't get it to work again.
UGH frustrated

Aug 3, 2013
First of all, I got it working thanks for this post! LOVE IT.

I tried this several times with no results. There's a couple things I had to do to get this to work.

First of all, when I open the build prop app, and search for those two lines of code, I tap on it and it gives me two boxes. one says ro.product.model and the second box said HTC EVO VIEW 4G (or something to that effect). If I changed it to say "Nexus S" like you instructed, and rebooted, it would not save it. I would open the build prop app and it still thought it was an evo. same for ro.product.manufacturer. still said HTC. Also, I have two ro.product.model. one said HTC EVO VIEW 4G and the other had the model number.

So, what I did was uninstall Netflix.

Then, in order to get the build.prop to actually save, I had to tap the pencil in the top right, which then gives you a long list of the build.prop values, and you could tap on one, backspace and edit it. I edited both my ro.product.models to reflect the nexus S model, and the manufacturer to samsung. Instead of the two boxes, it just shows ro.product.model=HTC EVO VIEW 4G and I changed it to ro.product.model=Nexus S.

I rebooted, and lo and behold, it saved this time! Then I reinstalled Netflix (I had already tried this without uninstalling netflix and reinstalling it, and it didn't work) and viola! the cast button showed up!

So to sum it up, I recommend the following steps:

Step 1: uninstall Netflix
Step 2: download the build.prop app
Step 3: open build.prop app
Step 4: tap pencil in top right
Step 5: scroll down, find ro.product.model and ro.product.manufacturer and edit them as instructed
Step 6: reboot device
Step 7: re-install netflix
Step 8: buy the OP of this thread a beer.

What app are you using. I'm not seeing the pencil your describing.

Fortunately I was able to interpret these feelings correctly: loss of essence.

psychoace

Apr 21, 2009
Kicking around a little pointless theory here but how many of us who are struck by this problem are using a phone with an OMAP processor?

siratfus

Dec 28, 2011

Code:
ro.product.model
ro.product.manufacturer

and

Before
EOcf55J.png

AFTER
RZ1ORbH.png

Is it really this complicated?

My netflix didn't have the cast icon, and it says it's fully updated. I uninstalled, reinstalled and still didn't get it. So I uninstalled and re-installed again, but this time, I opened the chromecast set-up app and use their netflix link. Which basically takes you back to the playstore again, but for some reason, this works. I then get the cast icon.

Reactions: raburruss

GrandBub

Jul 28, 2012
Hmmm

My netflix didn't have the cast icon, and it says it's fully updated. I uninstalled, reinstalled and still didn't get it. So I uninstalled and re-installed again, but this time, I opened the chromecast set-up app and use their netflix link. Which basically takes you back to the playstore again, but for some reason, this works. I then get the cast icon.

Hmm. That's interesting. I tried what you did before changing the settings, and it didn't work. I had to use dzap's trick.

Sep 30, 2013

this worked perfectly, no root or other convoluted work needed, make sure netflix is up and running on "good" device, then on the device where it is not showing chromecast button, close netflix app, clear data (from application menu) for netflix app and re-open it, re login and it should work.

Reactions: Joshmccullough

raburruss

Sep 19, 2013
Worked perfectly

Code:
ro.product.model
ro.product.manufacturer

and

Before
EOcf55J.png

AFTER
RZ1ORbH.png

Worked perfectly on my LG P509 with Cm 7.2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:
    ro.product.model
    ro.product.manufacturer

and

Before
    EOcf55J.png

AFTER
    RZ1ORbH.png

Not working for me.

Details:

ATT HTC One X
    ROM: Cm 10.1 (4.2.2) nightlies

Code:
    ro.product.model
    ro.product.manufacturer

and

Before
    EOcf55J.png

AFTER
    RZ1ORbH.png

Code:
    ro.product.model
    ro.product.manufacturer

and

Before
    EOcf55J.png

AFTER
    RZ1ORbH.png

this worked perfectly, no root or other convoluted work needed, make sure netflix is up and running on "good" device, then on the device where it is not showing chromecast button, close netflix app, clear data (from application menu) for netflix app and re-open it, re login and it should work.