[Q] MicroSD card

Search This thread

Hoibb

Jan 19, 2012
Just bought an ASUS HD7 tablet - specs show it will take a 32gB SD. I have a 32gB SD in my Nook Color (CM7) that has a lot of music. Let's bring it over and try that on the new HD7. I unmounted the SD card on the Nook, powered off and powered off the HD7. Inserted the card and powered the HD7 on. After boot, it claimed to be "preparing the SD card for use". I thought, "Great". But, sadly no music. I inspected the SD card with ES File Expl - it identified the SD card but with only 114mB capacity. The card is mounted but shows folders with no files/sub-folders I know are there when in the Nook C.

I pulled out a brand new 32gB SD card - never been used - right out of the blister pack. Dismounted, powered down. Inserted fresh card, powered up, "Preping card - yada-yada". But this time the new card shows an even smaller 96mB capacity.

So obviously I'm missing some key Android-ness point with respect to these cards. Since I've never actually swapped them like this, I'm sort of treating them like a "USB flash or thumb drive" and maybe I shouldn't. Am I just ignorant and missing some sort of prep step or "mount this card" command? Is it possible this reader is defective? (Remember - it recognizes, mounts and unmounts without incident...) Is it a fact that I can independently move these around from device to device in Android even if my versions are different (quite different in fact)?

Any guidance appreciated.

Hoibb

chan.sk

Dec 22, 2012
Singapore
There is no prepping required for Android to recognise SD cards. Usually, they work just as thumbdrives on a PC. The "remove hardware" process should be observed because this will ensure that any cached data will be written to the removable media and that the files are all closed.

With Android, in Settings-Storage, there is a Mount / Unmount. This is similar to add or remove the storage media, eg, SD card.

You can try this workaround. As before, when switched off, insert the SD card to the HD7 and then switch it on. Go to the Settings-Storage and you should see the SD card details. Do an Unmount, remove the SD card, wait a while and then re-insert the SD card and do a Mount. You might be able to acess the data on your SD card by now.

If this still does not work and since you had just bought the HD7, bring it to the seller and have it checked. Also bring along both your SD cards that you had tried to use, as well as the Nook so that you can prove to the seller that there is nothing wrong with the SD cards.

Hoibb

Jan 19, 2012
Answer found

Answer comes from another forum:

Try a Safe Mode boot. Forget it. No help.
But...

•Power down

•Pop out SD

•Power up

•Say prayer

•Android shows the desktop

•Settings // Storage

•There's the Internal Memory restored to its correct position

•While still powered on, pop IN the SD

•Another prayer

•"Preparing SD Card..."

•Poof - it shows now as the second selection

•Done

Bonus: Tablet now runs smoothly just like it was.

Hoibb