[Q] Bootanimation.zip zipping ?!

Search This thread

sambuculus

Feb 5, 2014
Hi everyone,

I've been looking around these forums for days now, but it seems nobody else has had this problem. It's about boot animations. My screen just stays black. I have narrowed it down to the zipping process.

I've tried it with somebody else's bootanimation.zip to make sure it is not about my .pngs or .txt file.
When I put a downloaded .zip directly inside system/media/ or data/local…it works like a charm!

But as soon as I unzip and then zip it again (on Mac OS, Windows as well as 7zip for Android), it won't work anymore! There must be something apart from the "store" method and the permissions.

Things I tried:
(Mac OS Terminal) zip -r -X -0 bootanimation.zip bootanimation -x "*.DS_Store"
(Mac OS) "Keka" app (unofficial 7zip port) "store" method
(Windows) 7zip , "store" method
(Android) "7Zipper" app, "store" method

Phone:
Rooted Xperia Arc ("Anzu") with CM9 (also tested on CM10)

I need your help, I don't know what else I can do!

demkantor

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
mpls
Well that's hard to say, it looks like you are doing things correctly, I use 7zip on Linux and windows and it always works when compression is set to store
Maybe upload the copy of working one and the one you played with and I'll take a look when I get home

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: sambuculus

sambuculus

Feb 5, 2014
First off - thanks very much for your helpfulness! I won't be able to figure this out by myself.

Att. #1 is an already zipped download.
Att. #2 is the exact same, except that I unzipped it and then zipped it again (via Terminal "zip -r -X -0…")

Attachments

• bootanimation_notWorking.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
  • bootanimation_working.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 72

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
First off - thanks very much for your helpfulness! I won't be able to figure this out by myself.

Att. #2 is the exact same, except that I unzipped it and then zipped it again (via Terminal "zip -r -X -0…")

ok, so what you are doing is zipping up a folder nameded bootanimation, in this folder there is
part0
part1
desc.txt

but you dont want that folder!
so when zipping just highlight the three from above and zip those, do not add an extra level
than you will be all good!

let me know if you have further questions but im guessing you'll be just fine now!

Reactions: sambuculus
@sambuculus
You may be interested in this.
If you have gif for bootanimation then use Bootanimation Creator from ROM Toolbox app (No PC, no zipping, software does everything).
I have used this and works fine.

Sent from my GT-S5360 Gadget of Mass Destruction by xda-app
using CWM........Busybox commands........ No I use my hands:D

sambuculus

Feb 5, 2014
ok, so what you are doing is zipping up a folder nameded bootanimation, in this folder there is
part0
part1
desc.txt

so when zipping just highlight the three from above and zip those, do not add an extra level

let me know if you have further questions but im guessing you'll be just fine now!

Just did that, but it didn't work o_O I actually think that the outcome is the same.

Instead, I had a TeamViewer session on a Windows PC. Here's the outcome:
Unzip Mac - Zip Mac : Doesn't work
Unzip Mac - Zip Win : Doesn't work >> that's interesting I think
Unzip Win - Zip Win: Works!
> I forgot to test if unzipping on Windows and then re-zipping on Mac would work…

So what finally brought my own bootanimation.zip onto the device was using the BootAnimationFactory on the PC. Pretty sure it would have also worked if I manually wrote the desc.txt but whatever.

For now, that's an acceptable workaround for me, but it bugs me that I don't know the reason it doesn't otherwise.

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
Very strange, the only thing I found wrong with the .zip you posted was the the extra folder in there, to double check I removed it and flashed it to one of my devices and it worked just fine.
But if you found a solution than good! Let me know if you want to try again with teamviewer or something

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

sambuculus

Feb 5, 2014
@demkantor It WAS the folder! It worked!

Info for Mac users:
I saw that opening a .zip on PC doesn't render a Folder like it does on Mac. That may be the reason why I couldn't see a difference on OSX, as it shows me the additional bootanimation folder, whether I zipped the whole folder or just its contents.

Anyways, thanks again for your help!

@hnkotnis Thanks for the tip! If only the color range on a .gif wasn't that bad, it would be a convenient workaround as well.

Last edited:

davek17

Jun 19, 2007
www.raptorhub.com
Thought I would just add to this to make it relevant to Android 7.0 and 2018!

I just had the exact same issue and i've been doing this for years, from Android v4, but now have an Android 7.1 device I wanted to change the bootanimation on. You do forget the little things from time to time!

I use Windows, you need to use 7-zip, I can't tell you how much better that is for LINUX-y based things you build, (also notepad++). Also the advice by divyamg28 was bang on for me.

make sure when you "add to archive", you choose "store" as the compression level.

This definitely worked for me

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well that's hard to say, it looks like you are doing things correctly, I use 7zip on Linux and windows and it always works when compression is set to store
    Maybe upload the copy of working one and the one you played with and I'll take a look when I get home

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    you have to zip it again using the store option in 7-zip

part0
    part1
    desc.txt