takes fuzzy picture and then shuts down

Search This thread

tracsportva

Mar 6, 2010
Gainesville
I am wondering if someone here can help me.
I have an unrooted SGIII from Sprint and have had the phone since 2012.

In the last update, to kitkat at least I have noticed some serious battery drain...in particular when I take pictures, the pictures get very grainy and then boom, the phone shuts down. Not cool.

do i need a new battery? I have read all the information about saving battery infact I can hardly see my screen my brightness is so low.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Try a factory reset after backup what you want.

If that doesn't help, try Odining the stock ND8 tar from a PC, in the development (non-original) section.

[BATTERY] Plasma Battery! ??? & wickeddecimalbarwide_colors

Charging still shot
senygy6y.jpg

n00b-xda-disciple's Wicked X Video review

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII on TouchWiz 4.4.2 with Conquest: Singularity v2.2, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.

Reactions: JoHnNYBlaZE716

g_money

Mar 27, 2013
I can't tell you that a new battery will fix your problems. But, I replaced my battery after 9 months of use and I was amazed at the difference. Try borrowing someone's battery and see if it makes a difference? If you buy a new battery and that doesn't solve the problem, you've ruled out the battery and now have 2 batteries to switch between :eek:

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

huntley

Jul 29, 2008
I have this exact same problem. Any time the battery is below 40-50%, the camera could cause the phone to shut down at any time. Really, anything will cause it to shut down, but it seems like the camera will do it every single time. The phone will not stay on after that point unless you plug it in for even 5 minutes, at which point it tells you your battery is 60-70%.

This is the reason I rooted and then flashed the Odin stock ND8 the other day (http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s3-sprint/help/sprint-galaxy-s3-complete-boot-process-t2829181). I then flashed to Wicked X v7.3. It has only been two days, but the same symptoms persist. My wife has the same phone and experiences the same problems, which all started upon the update to 4.4.2.

If anybody has any ideas, I'm all ears.

Ainz_Ooal_Gown

I have this exact same problem. Any time the battery is below 40-50%, the camera could cause the phone to shut down at any time. Really, anything will cause it to shut down, but it seems like the camera will do it every single time. The phone will not stay on after that point unless you plug it in for even 5 minutes, at which point it tells you your battery is 60-70%.

This is the reason I rooted and then flashed the Odin stock ND8 the other day (http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s3-sprint/help/sprint-galaxy-s3-complete-boot-process-t2829181). I then flashed to Wicked X v7.3. It has only been two days, but the same symptoms persist. My wife has the same phone and experiences the same problems, which all started upon the update to 4.4.2.

If anybody has any ideas, I'm all ears.

how long have you guys had your phone any water damage? hard falls things like that?

huntley

Jul 29, 2008
how long have you guys had your phone any water damage? hard falls things like that?

Got the phone in December 2012, as did my wife. No hard falls that I can remember. Up until recently I had it in an Otter Box Commuter case. I took it out after I updated and started pulling the battery to try to get things to reset (never worked and like the smaller profile so I didn't put the case back on).

Tonight I installed the Xposed critical battery shutdown module and also Battery Calibration recommended in these posts http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2781926 and (can't find the thread recommending Battery Calibration by Nema, but whatever). After I installed the module (and I think activated it), I ran the battery down until the phone shut off. Will charge to 100% tonight and start calibration in the morning.

huntley

Jul 29, 2008
The module does not appear to be working,as the phone shut down at 28% with no prior warnings that it prevented shutdown. That's unfortunate. To activate the module, do I just click the check mark and reboot?

Last edited:

Ainz_Ooal_Gown

from what I've seen water damage and hard falls can have a heavy impact on the OS(not like crack screen or digitizer but just a hard fall and phone survives) well except on water proof/shock proof phones.....but for the most part if a factory reset/Odin/Heimdall/what ever method back to stock you use doesn't fix the problem its a hardware issue

huntley

Jul 29, 2008
All's better after new battery

I just wanted to post a followup to my issue. After the shutdown mod and battery calibration didn't help, I bought an Anker replacement battery from Amazon. Since my wife had the same problem, I bought a two pack for $28. I charged the battery overnight and then in the morning hit the battery calibration button.

I noticed a difference right away - I was only down 7% after a few hours at work. My goal was to let the battery run down until the phone shut off, which happened at about the 30 hour mark with my playing HD youtube videos for the last hour so it would die. The battery life indicator actually counted all the way down to 1% before shutting off, which is a stark contrast to the 30% that had been occurring with the old battery.

With the new battery, I've also used the camera when it was under 30% with no problems.

My recommendation for anyone that has similar problems is to get a new battery. They are a hell of a lot cheaper than a new phone, so it's worth a shot.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I can't tell you that a new battery will fix your problems. But, I replaced my battery after 9 months of use and I was amazed at the difference. Try borrowing someone's battery and see if it makes a difference? If you buy a new battery and that doesn't solve the problem, you've ruled out the battery and now have 2 batteries to switch between :eek:

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    All's better after new battery

I just wanted to post a followup to my issue. After the shutdown mod and battery calibration didn't help, I bought an Anker replacement battery from Amazon. Since my wife had the same problem, I bought a two pack for $28. I charged the battery overnight and then in the morning hit the battery calibration button.

I noticed a difference right away - I was only down 7% after a few hours at work. My goal was to let the battery run down until the phone shut off, which happened at about the 30 hour mark with my playing HD youtube videos for the last hour so it would die. The battery life indicator actually counted all the way down to 1% before shutting off, which is a stark contrast to the 30% that had been occurring with the old battery.

With the new battery, I've also used the camera when it was under 30% with no problems.

My recommendation for anyone that has similar problems is to get a new battery. They are a hell of a lot cheaper than a new phone, so it's worth a shot.
    Try a factory reset after backup what you want.

If that doesn't help, try Odining the stock ND8 tar from a PC, in the development (non-original) section.

[BATTERY] Plasma Battery! ??? & wickeddecimalbarwide_colors

Charging still shot
    senygy6y.jpg

n00b-xda-disciple's Wicked X Video review

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII on TouchWiz 4.4.2 with Conquest: Singularity v2.2, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.