[Q] Flashing to MK2

Search This thread

unluckypatron

Jan 24, 2014
I recently got a SGH-i337 S4 as a gift from a relative, but i'm not sure if it was rooted. I checked with two apps, Root Checker Basic and Root Status, and they are saying my phone is rooted. I'll take these into consideration, but I am not able to contact my relative to ask if they really did root it or not, and if they unrooted it.

Anyways, I want to flash my galaxy to the latest stock firmware, and I have downloaded the the MK2 tar files. Do i just proceed and connect my phone and press start, and then my phone will be essentially fresh-out-of-the-store firmware? Using Odin, I do not have to be rooted, so because of the previous ambiguity, am i able to use Odin without knowing for sure?

NighthawkXL

Mar 4, 2013
Florida
I recently got a SGH-i337 S4 as a gift from a relative, but i'm not sure if it was rooted. I checked with two apps, Root Checker Basic and Root Status, and they are saying my phone is rooted. I'll take these into consideration, but I am not able to contact my relative to ask if they really did root it or not, and if they unrooted it.

Anyways, I want to flash my galaxy to the latest stock firmware, and I have downloaded the the MK2 tar files. Do i just proceed and connect my phone and press start, and then my phone will be essentially fresh-out-of-the-store firmware? Using Odin, I do not have to be rooted, so because of the previous ambiguity, am i able to use Odin without knowing for sure?

Yes, you can use the Odin files to update to MK2, but mind you there is NO way to ever go back to MF3. If you have any sort of need of custom rom's I recommend staying with MF3 until the MK2 branches grow some more. But if you plan on using the phone complete stock go ahead and upgrade, your still be able to reroot and get Safestrap your just have a small amount of TW 4.3 roms.

hednik

May 31, 2012
Fort Worth

A few questions. Do you know what firmware you are on right now ? Is it MF3 or MDL ? i only ask because with MDL you are able to try out MK2 firmware (not using odin) instead of having to use Odin to flash the firmware.

I was unable to determine from your post if you want it rooted or not. If the app says you are rooted then you more than likely are. Is there a superuser app on there or superSU ? If you aren't interested in being rooted then I suggest you avoid odin to update and go the Kies way to update to the new firmware.

Let us know your intentions so we can best help. Thanks !