Help with gs3 root

Search This thread

Marshmellow92

Jan 4, 2012
Hey guys. This may have been asked already but i am coming from verizons gs4. and over there you can oly get custom recovery if youre on mdk bootloader.
I just bought this phone for my brother and it came with 4.12 (MG2)
I see everywhere that people were able to get 4.3. i tried updating through phone and through kies and says its up to date. so now my question i guess is what bootloader do i need to be on or what 4.x.x do i need to be on in order to root and get custom recovery to flash custom roms?
any help will be greatly appreciated.

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
I recommend not updating to stock 4.3 ROM as this will install Knox and you will have a non-downgradeable bootloader. You can use Odin to flash Philz Touch which is based on CWM. From there, you can flash custom ROMs.

Some ROMs require a 4.3 bootloader, but these would tend to be based on the stock Samsung ROM. I am running the latest Validus 4.4.2 on a stock Bell 4.1.2 bootloader without a problem.

Marshmellow92

Jan 4, 2012
I recommend not updating to stock 4.3 ROM as this will install Knox and you will have a non-downgradeable bootloader. You can use Odin to flash Philz Touch which is based on CWM. From there, you can flash custom ROMs.

Some ROMs require a 4.3 bootloader, but these would tend to be based on the stock Samsung ROM. I am running the latest Validus 4.4.2 on a stock Bell 4.1.2 bootloader without a problem.

Oh ok. Well I just succesfully rotted and installed latest touch cwm.
so if I stay on 4.1.2 I can basically flash any kitkat roms? Because I dont want to install a tw rom.
So another question what are some good 4.4 kk roms? As in stable for daily use that I could flash

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app