Magnetic charging strips

Search This thread

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
The S5 is a great looking phone, spec wise. Nothing is dramatically different over the S4, other than Waterproof, fingerprint and a couple other sensors. But everything is an upgrade in some way.

Except for ease of charging.

Yes, for those of us who like to get everything done with one click, one hand, one motion, one something.... the S5 has taken a step back in docking/charging capabilities.
While the USB 3.0 offers *faster* charging to some degree, we are now obstructed from ease of use by the very thing that makes this phone *really special* and unique. Waterproofing. Yep, those dang "doors" that seal up the USB port have added "one more" step. This time, one more step in the form of attaching a USB cable or docking our phones. I myself paid $75 for a killer dock that gave me one-handed, one motion docking that offers charging. I just plop my S4 phone down and it's secured and charging right away (Craigsdocks Dock).

Most of you probably don't care about this "one extra step". So those are the folks who will step into this thread and participate the most, because they don't care and think it's stupid that other people care. lol

But for you "one step" people out there like myself, who are avidly into Tasker automation, modifying the Quick Settings panel and want the fastest launcher with coolest widgets possible.... YOU will understand what I'm talking about when I say the S6 *NEEDS* to have Magnetic Docking Pins.
And I cannot believe Samsung has not only locked the bootloader on us USA citizens, but they have also not given this phone some semblance of ease of use when it comes to Car Docks and other types of docks, for everyone in the entire world.

Ugh, shame on you, Samsung. Your lack of foresight is amazing. Because we all know the S6 will have Magnetic Docking Pins and thus, every single one of us will pay to upgrade our phones once again, next year.

Oh, you might ask why Magnetic Pin charging is better than wireless charging?
Well that's because it charges twice as fast. Which is very important when your screen is set to 100% brightness, Pandora is streaming over Bluetooth and GPS is wildly trying to re-route me every few seconds. All while I'm on a 25% charge and have no plans to be anywhere near a charger for the next 24 hours after I get out of my car.

Last edited:

da.trute

Jul 22, 2011
it will be the US carriers that have requested the phone is locked, not samsungs fault as is usually the case. You get a RAW deal over there compared to Europe.

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
This would GREATLY increase manufacturing costs.

Hey, Sony has done it with the Xperia lineup and other MFG's have all fit it into production costs without any problems.
"Greatly" = what, $0.37 in materials? lmao

And here they all come, just as I predicted. lol

Maybe the phone isn't for you..... The beauty of Android is that you can get whatever manufacturer you like to sort your hardware needs.

Umm, you think?!

AMoosa makes a great point. If you don't like it get a different phone or create your own.

Yeah, another intelligent post. :good:

eyecon82

May 30, 2010
although the flap annoys me, the huge USB cable with 2 prongs annoys me more

I'm just using my old S4 charger, which works nearly just as fast and i dont have to fuss around with it as much

JS_racer

Oct 29, 2011
does the usb flap fold around flat ?? not sure i understand what happens to it in a dock.
thanks

Top Liked Posts