Couple of General Questions about ROMS

Search This thread

demert858

Feb 22, 2013
Okay last couple of questions, than I need a break :fingers-crossed:

1-Once I "Flash" a ROM, do I need to keep the .ZIP file on my phone assuming I have backed up my current ROM. They don't take up a ton of room but I don't like keeping a ton of stuff on my phone. It is nice to have it case I don't have the backup.

2-There are hundreds of different ROMS out there.....
I currently have ViperXL which seems awesome....
Some ROMS seem really stripped down.....

IS that what it comes down to in ROMS....Asthetics? The look and feel?

3-Now that I have a rooted phone....that I can update constantly (Jellybean etc) how far will this current model go (2 more major updates....Keylime etc)

Thanks for all of the help along the way!!!

a box of kittens

Jan 24, 2013
san fran california
Once you flash you can delete the zip

Everyone has their personal opinions about Rom you could love viper but someone could not like it and prefer hatka/clean Rom or cm

If we don't get the key lime pie kernel for the one xl it'd be heard porting HTC roms over due to lack of kernel but aosp will probably do well... We can portsense 5 here

demert858

Feb 22, 2013

If we don't get the key lime pie kernel for the one xl it'd be heard porting HTC roms over due to lack of kernel but aosp will probably do well... We can portsense 5 here

Hmmm.Newbie here!!!
Does that mean there will be an easy fix for Key Lime Pie? A ROM will most likely be developed?
I hear a lot of talk about Kernels but that seems too much for me to grasp....:laugh:

I was under the impression that once I rooted my phone, I could always flash a ROM to keep it current with the most up to date version of Android.
Is that not the case?

a box of kittens

Jan 24, 2013
san fran california
Hmmm.Newbie here!!!
Does that mean there will be an easy fix for Key Lime Pie? A ROM will most likely be developed?
I hear a lot of talk about Kernels but that seems too much for me to grasp....:laugh:

I was under the impression that once I rooted my phone, I could always flash a ROM to keep it current with the most up to date version of Android.
Is that not the case?

Without kernel source that's a bit hard to do sometimes and HTC doesn't have the best reputation

demert858

Feb 22, 2013

Everyone has their personal opinions about Rom you could love viper but someone could not like it and prefer hatka/clean Rom or cm

Without kernel source that's a bit hard to do sometimes and HTC doesn't have the best reputation
So HTC will need to release the "Kernel" (Some Source Code) I assume.....
From there, People will Develop ROMS based on that.......?

Without that is this phone is dead in the water as far as updates are concerned?

a box of kittens

Jan 24, 2013
san fran california
Just think of this...the kernel contains all the proper WiFi libs and camera libs and a lot of other things...without the proper kernel wed have to hack things which can take a while and produce worse results...the Rom is not based off kernel it's based off the Rom... Than they build from their if it's aosp they build from source and port over if it's sense they do the base and build off that

demert858

Feb 22, 2013
Just think of this...the kernel contains all the proper WiFi libs and camera libs and a lot of other things...without the proper kernel wed have to hack things which can take a while and produce worse results...the Rom is not based off kernel it's based off the Rom... Than they build from their if it's aosp they build from source and port over if it's sense they do the base and build off that

Got it.....
but what is Aosp??

Hopefully the fine folks on this forum will work their magic for complete noobs like me....I would hate to not keep up with the times :fingers-crossed:
It was a headache for me just to get it rooted and ViperXL installed =)

area51avenger

Sep 14, 2012
Toronto
We will get aosp keylime roms for sure. We have an awesome dev community. We probably won't get a keylime sense Rom because HTC most likely won't develop one for this phone. But aosp (android open source project) which is the os written by Google for their nexus devices that the oems take and make their own version (sense, touchwiz, etc) should always get updated

Sent from my VENOMized HoxL

demert858

Feb 22, 2013
We will get aosp keylime roms for sure. We have an awesome dev community. We probably won't get a keylime sense Rom because HTC most likely won't develop one for this phone. But aosp (android open source project) which is the os written by Google for their nexus devices that the oems take and make their own version (sense, touchwiz, etc) should always get updated

That's awesome news....
I'm not a fan of HTC Sense.....
I opted out of it with the VIPERXL Rom....

Glad to hear my HTC One X will stay current for some time.....
I hate buying a new phone every other year to stay current with Software etc!!!

area51avenger

Sep 14, 2012
Toronto
My HTC desire which the last official Rom was gingerbread, is running jb 4.2.2 dont worry xda makes phones future proof

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
1) You can just delete it. I usually save on my computer for a while, just in case I want to move it back on the phone to re-flash, in emergencies, etc. I usually try to have either (but not both) a nandroid or the ROM zip on the phone, just in case.

2) The differences are aesthetics, features, performance. The thread for each specific ROM will usually have a good description of the features. But you may need to learn some more of the lingo, before you really understand what they are talking about. Start looking through the threads, and you will start to figure out what the differences are, which ones you may like, what others like, etc. Then just choose a few, and flash away.

3) Completely depends on how long the device keeps developer interest, and whether HTC actively supports the device and (as mentioned) releases kernel source for the device for the given Android build.

For example, if HTC decides not to release KLP for the device, and doesn't release kernel source, it makes it really difficult for devs to make custom ROMs with all the hardware components working properly (cameras, Bluetooth, etc.). But its not impossible, and if some devs are still inspired, they may try to make things work as much as they have time for.