[SOLVED - bad SIM card] Viperone 4.x, desperate to get 4G LTE to stick

Search This thread

ProcyonSJJ

Aug 11, 2011
UPDATE: My SIM card was bad. I swapped it for a new one and the entire problem was solved.

I dreaded the thought of wiping my phone and starting over, but I hated losing 4G LTE so frequently that I gave in and wiped my phone in order to get LTE to stick... and it didn't work.

I'm going to give a very thorough account of everything I did so that hopefully someone can point out any particular problem and/or solution to my issues. This plan was largely based around user AznInertia's steps which he reported to have eliminated his mobile data issues.

1) Downloaded Viperone 4.1.0 full, 4.2.1 full, and 4.3.0 OTA. In addition, I downloaded Philz latest custom CWM recovery and the 3.11.605.1 firmware, primarily in order to have the latest radios.
2) Went into fastboot and flashed Philz recovery.
3) Went into recovery and did a Factory Reset wipe.
4) Back to fastboot to flash 3.11.605.1 using santod's instructions.
5) Back to recovery to wipe data again, and install Viperone 4.1.0 full (with option to wipe data again from within Aroma)
5a) proceed to reboot immediately after installation had finished, and ended up with boot loops. Realized I forgot to flash boot.img from 3.11.605.1, so I went back to fastboot and flashed it.
6) Boot loop goes away, Viperone logo appears, takes a really long time, reboots, Viperone logo reappears and finally I get the "Android is optimizing apps" screen. I let it go all the way through and start doing the first time setup. I fill in the Google account info, and Google Play syncs my contacts, and starts downloading apps. Meanwhile, I have absolutely no network service.
7) Reboot to recovery and flash 4.2.1 without wiping. Phone proceeds to Viperone logo and this time gets fully stuck (waited approx. 15 minutes). Help power down to reboot the phone, and this time it kicks over to "Android is optimizing apps," etc.
8) OS fully loads up, and this time I have Verizon Network service, but it's very apparent that 4G LTE isn't sticking, and it keeps dropping down to 3G.
9) Reboot to recovery and flash 4.3.0 OTA (no wipe). Back in the OS, I click Venom Tweaks->Misc->Phone info, drop down to "Set preferred network type:" and I switch it from "CDMA/EvDo/GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto" to "LTE, CDMA." Phone goes back to 4G for a moment, and then drops down to 1X.
9a) Back to phone info, switch from "LTE, CDMA" to "CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto," phone goes back to 4G briefly and then down to 3G.

I am DESPERATE here, I really want to stick with this ROM, but having been forced by Verizon to increase my monthly payment for 4G and not being able to use it feels like a punch in the nuts. Does ANYONE have ANY ideas on what I could do? Some different order and/or application of the steps I mentioned? I would be so grateful for any kind of help at all. Thanks very much in advance to this amazing and knowledgeable community.

Last edited:

santod040

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Nov 7, 2008
NorCal
Flash full odex stock ROM and stock recovery.
Perform a factory reset from settings with stock recovery installed.
Then reboot.
Now you can flash a custom recovery and ROM and data should be fine...
The stock recovery factory reset restores the Verizon NV partition responsible for your data issues.
Good luck!

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Reactions: ProcyonSJJ

ProcyonSJJ

Aug 11, 2011
Then reboot.
The stock recovery factory reset restores the Verizon NV partition responsible for your data issues.
Good luck!

Hi Santod, I appreciate the help, I read this post and thought, "oh simple, this will be a breeze," and naturally (for me), nothing is working properly.

I tried downloading 3.11.605.1_M7_WL_KK_55_VZW_442_Odex_Full.zip and installing it through Philz recovery. I selected the zip, I get what looks like an ASCII art face, followed by "M7vzw-KitKat, Stock Rooted ROM, Android 4.4.2, Verizon HTC One 3.11.605.1, Packaged by santod." So far so good. Then it's immediately followed by: "format() expected 5 args, got 4. E:Error in /data/media/0/3.11.605.1+M7_WL_KK_55_VZW_442_Odex_Full.zip (Status 7). Installation aborted."

So I thought perhaps I was meant to flash the recovery first? I tried flashing 3.11.605.1_recovery.img, and all I got was the red triangle exclamation point. So I tried 1.10.605.10 instead, and that seemed to do something ("Installing Verizon Wireless" something or other) but no option to install and/or wipe. So I went back to Philz, tried your odex full ROM again, and same thing.

I'm back on ViperOne 4.2.1 for now just to have a workable phone. Please help :crying:

santod040

Nov 7, 2008
NorCal
Use CWM recovery .4.5 version to install stock Rom.
Do Rom first then recovery.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

AznInertia

Jun 12, 2010
I dreaded the thought of wiping my phone and starting over, but I hated losing 4G LTE so frequently that I gave in and wiped my phone in order to get LTE to stick... and it didn't work.

I'm going to give a very thorough account of everything I did so that hopefully someone can point out any particular problem and/or solution to my issues. This plan was largely based around user AznInertia's steps which he reported to have eliminated his mobile data issues.

1) Downloaded Viperone 4.1.0 full, 4.2.1 full, and 4.3.0 OTA. In addition, I downloaded Philz latest custom CWM recovery and the 3.11.605.1 firmware, primarily in order to have the latest radios.
5) Back to recovery to wipe data again, and install Viperone 4.1.0 full (with option to wipe data again from within Aroma)
5a) proceed to reboot immediately after installation had finished, and ended up with boot loops. Realized I forgot to flash boot.img from 3.11.605.1, so I went back to fastboot and flashed it.
6) Boot loop goes away, Viperone logo appears, takes a really long time, reboots, Viperone logo reappears and finally I get the "Android is optimizing apps" screen. I let it go all the way through and start doing the first time setup. I fill in the Google account info, and Google Play syncs my contacts, and starts downloading apps. Meanwhile, I have absolutely no network service.
7) Reboot to recovery and flash 4.2.1 without wiping. Phone proceeds to Viperone logo and this time gets fully stuck (waited approx. 15 minutes). Help power down to reboot the phone, and this time it kicks over to "Android is optimizing apps," etc.
8) OS fully loads up, and this time I have Verizon Network service, but it's very apparent that 4G LTE isn't sticking, and it keeps dropping down to 3G.
9) Reboot to recovery and flash 4.3.0 OTA (no wipe). Back in the OS, I click Venom Tweaks->Misc->Phone info, drop down to "Set preferred network type:" and I switch it from "CDMA/EvDo/GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto" to "LTE, CDMA." Phone goes back to 4G for a moment, and then drops down to 1X.
9a) Back to phone info, switch from "LTE, CDMA" to "CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto," phone goes back to 4G briefly and then down to 3G.

I am DESPERATE here, I really want to stick with this ROM, but having been forced by Verizon to increase my monthly payment for 4G and not being able to use it feels like a punch in the nuts. Does ANYONE have ANY ideas on what I could do? Some different order and/or application of the steps I mentioned? I would be so grateful for any kind of help at all. Thanks very much in advance to this amazing and knowledgeable community.

Not sure if it makes a difference but try TWRP (I think 2.6.3.4?), I see people having issue with Philz all the time. Use the newest TWRP, you have the sequence of ROMs correct

1.) Clean flash ViperOne 4.1 FULL
2.) Dirty ViperOne 4.2.1 Full
3.) Dirty ViperOne 4.3 OTA

Also, don't install the Full 3.11.605.1 Firmware unless you download the ZIP and remove the boot.img file. If you don't do that that screws up your kernel. To be safe you can just download the flashable radios only once you got through the instructions I included.

- FYI, I never got stuck at #7, so that's odd

Last edited:

santod040

Nov 7, 2008
NorCal
I added a firmware zip without the Boot.img yesterday.
But if having the data issues like described above, the factory reset in stock recovery is really what is needed to fix things up...

ProcyonSJJ

Aug 11, 2011
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...

I didn't remove the boot.img file first :( Now I'm stuck at verizon logo. Not sure what the correct approach to fixing this is. Do I try to reinstall a custom kernel? Do I reflash CWM and do a full wipe and try again? *banging head on desk*

Wait, you said to remove it from the firmware. But this time I didn't flash the firmware, I didn't think I had to. I left boot.img in the 3.11.605.1 ROM though, is that safe? Very confused...

Thanks so much for your support and sticking with me through this.

Update:
1) Went back to CWM 6.0.4.5
2) Flashed Full Odex (with boot.img left in)
3) Back to fastboot, flashed 3.11.605.1 recovery,
4) Entered recovery, red triangle exclamation point. Not sure why my phone doesn't like 3.11.605.1 recovery.

Last edited:

AznInertia

Jun 12, 2010

I didn't remove the boot.img file first :( Now I'm stuck at verizon logo. Not sure what the correct approach to fixing this is. Do I try to reinstall a custom kernel? Do I reflash CWM and do a full wipe and try again? *banging head on desk*

Wait, you said to remove it from the firmware. But this time I didn't flash the firmware, I didn't think I had to. I left boot.img in the 3.11.605.1 ROM though, is that safe? Very confused...

Update:
4) Entered recovery, red triangle exclamation point. Not sure why my phone doesn't like 3.11.605.1 recovery.

You leave the boot.img in if you want to use a stock kernel with a 4.4.2 ROM (like the odex stock rom that you flashed). The problem is that the 3.11.605.1 recovery (with boot.img) is made for 4.4.2 which is the OTA, whereas ViperOne runs on 4.4. I had issues before running stock kernel with the ViperOne rom which runs a slightly different version. I'm hoping it will get fixed later on.

I would redownload 3.11.605.1 recovery and make sure md5 match before flashing

Last edited:

santod040

Nov 7, 2008
NorCal

Update:

That is standard stock recovery behavior.
Volume up and power will get you a stock recovery menu.
From here you can do a factory reset.
Or just boot into the system and go to settings > storage I believe, and do a factory reset from there with stock recovery still installed.
It will take care of the rest itself from there.

Last edited:

ProcyonSJJ

Aug 11, 2011
OK, here's where I'm at.
1) I successfully installed both the 3.11.605.1 ROM and recovery. Booted up the OS, requested a factory restore, the phone rebooted and did that green icon screen indicating that the recovery was doing its thing. (BTW Santos, could never get power + volume up to do anything, not that I tried too hard once I got the factory restore to work through the OS.)
2) Based on Santos's confidence, I didn't bother flashing ViperOne 4.1.0, and went straight to clean flashing 4.2.1. I let it boot up, did the setup, went back to recovery and dirty flashed 4.3.0.
The results: 4G LTE still drops. It seems to hang on better, but it definitely drops back to 3G regardless of what settings I choose. Interestingly, when I changed the preferred network from Global to CDMA/LTE, sometimes it would tell me that there's no network, would I like to switch to Global. When I went back to the preferred network setting, somehow thge setting was changed to GSM. I also noticed something similar if I went into the Misc Phone info setting under Venom Tweaks and tried to force CDMA/LTE only without EvDo.

SO... Now I'm back to square one, determined to figure out the root cause. I'm back to 3.11.605.1, and I'm going to stick with it for around 24 hours to see if it drops to 3G before I proceed to follow AznInertia's instructions and clean flash 4.1.0. At least then I'll know if it drops, it's not the ROM, but its been about an hour and no drop so far. *sigh* Thanks again for your patience and assistance.

Update: An hour and a half later, still connected to 4G. Although, I've been at my home the entire night. The true test will be when I drive to and from work tomorrow.

Update 2: I don't know when it happened exactly, but I dropped to 3G on stock! I'm actually excited because maybe it's just my sim card after all! Hopefully I can just replace it, reinstall ViperOne and put this whole issue to bed!

Last edited:

Dark Jedi

Sep 23, 2012
It could be the SIM card or just your area having 4g issues. I have been on the Rom for awhile and never had an issue with 4g dropping. I do drop to 3g when at work but that's more due to coverage. Hope it's just your SIM card but it's definitely not the Rom.

AznInertia

Jun 12, 2010
OK, here's where I'm at.
1) I successfully installed both the 3.11.605.1 ROM and recovery. Booted up the OS, requested a factory restore, the phone rebooted and did that green icon screen indicating that the recovery was doing its thing. (BTW Santos, could never get power + volume up to do anything, not that I tried too hard once I got the factory restore to work through the OS.)
2) Based on Santos's confidence, I didn't bother flashing ViperOne 4.1.0, and went straight to clean flashing 4.2.1. I let it boot up, did the setup, went back to recovery and dirty flashed 4.3.0.
The results: 4G LTE still drops. It seems to hang on better, but it definitely drops back to 3G regardless of what settings I choose. Interestingly, when I changed the preferred network from Global to CDMA/LTE, sometimes it would tell me that there's no network, would I like to switch to Global. When I went back to the preferred network setting, somehow thge setting was changed to GSM. I also noticed something similar if I went into the Misc Phone info setting under Venom Tweaks and tried to force CDMA/LTE only without EvDo.

SO... Now I'm back to square one, determined to figure out the root cause. I'm back to 3.11.605.1, and I'm going to stick with it for around 24 hours to see if it drops to 3G before I proceed to follow AznInertia's instructions and clean flash 4.1.0. At least then I'll know if it drops, it's not the ROM, but its been about an hour and no drop so far. *sigh* Thanks again for your patience and assistance.

Update: An hour and a half later, still connected to 4G. Although, I've been at my home the entire night. The true test will be when I drive to and from work tomorrow.

Update 2: I don't know when it happened exactly, but I dropped to 3G on stock! I'm actually excited because maybe it's just my sim card after all! Hopefully I can just replace it, reinstall ViperOne and put this whole issue to bed!

I'm glad you were able to get 3.11.605.1 going and got it restored, I went through the same frustration with you and I tried multiple combinations for the 4G drop but the one I suggested was the only way to do it (clean of 4.2.1 and 4.3 full ROM had dropped connections).

If you get dropped connections to 3G its probably: coverage drops or perhaps you need to change SIM card. If you go to the corporate stores (not 3rd party), you can swam SIM for free. If you go to those 3rd party Verizon dealers they charge for SIMs. FYI

ProcyonSJJ

Aug 11, 2011
So it was the SIM card afterall... *facepalm*

Couldn't find a corporate VZW store, so I had to go to a retailer, and like you said, they charged me. $10, so it wasn't too bad.

But I switched on Wednesday, and I have dropped down to 3G exactly one time, when I was in a particularly bad area. Flashed 4.2.1 clean and 4.3.0 dirty, and have been running fine ever since. Don't know why I waited so long to address the SIM card. I really wish there was some kind of useful diagnostic tool that could identify SIM cards that have gone bad.

Although this thread is Note centric, the second post describes the problem I was having perfectly (understanding after the fact...): http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus/185483-sim-card-ever-go-bad.html

Thanks again for everyone's help. I'm going to modify the original post.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Then reboot.
    Good luck!

Use CWM recovery .4.5 version to install stock Rom.
    Do Rom first then recovery.

Not sure if it makes a difference but try TWRP (I think 2.6.3.4?), I see people having issue with Philz all the time. Use the newest TWRP, you have the sequence of ROMs correct

1.) Clean flash ViperOne 4.1 FULL
    2.) Dirty ViperOne 4.2.1 Full
    3.) Dirty ViperOne 4.3 OTA

Also, don't install the Full 3.11.605.1 Firmware unless you download the ZIP and remove the boot.img file. If you don't do that that screws up your kernel. To be safe you can just download the flashable radios only once you got through the instructions I included.

- FYI, I never got stuck at #7, so that's odd
    I added a firmware zip without the Boot.img yesterday.
    But if having the data issues like described above, the factory reset in stock recovery is really what is needed to fix things up...

Update:

You leave the boot.img in if you want to use a stock kernel with a 4.4.2 ROM (like the odex stock rom that you flashed). The problem is that the 3.11.605.1 recovery (with boot.img) is made for 4.4.2 which is the OTA, whereas ViperOne runs on 4.4. I had issues before running stock kernel with the ViperOne rom which runs a slightly different version. I'm hoping it will get fixed later on.

I would redownload 3.11.605.1 recovery and make sure md5 match before flashing