remote wipe & custom recovery

Search This thread

jebise101

Jan 22, 2010
So I have always wondered what happens when you remote wipe a phone from like Android Device Manager and if you have a custom recovery like TWRP. I tried the wipe on my M8 and it for sure worked, but since TWRP was installed it left all the data ion the SD Card. Is there anyway to force TWRP to do a full factory reset by default rather than just removing apps etc?

If not I may just have to install the stock recovery, if I can find it for my Bell M8.

Niorun

Mar 19, 2011
Friesland, Netherlands
So I have always wondered what happens when you remote wipe a phone from like Android Device Manager and if you have a custom recovery like TWRP. I tried the wipe on my M8 and it for sure worked, but since TWRP was installed it left all the data ion the SD Card. Is there anyway to force TWRP to do a full factory reset by default rather than just removing apps etc?

If not I may just have to install the stock recovery, if I can find it for my Bell M8.

From TWRP, (Advanced) wipe and select sdcard.

jebise101

Jan 22, 2010
already did, wiped from device manager and it wiped the phone but left the SD card intact. This is a major oversight for custom recovery because same applies on my N7. Send a remote wipe to the phone, your actually just giving your data away because now they can access your SD card since you wiped it remotely but it didn't wipe the SD card.

Wonder if encrypting the SD Card and then wiping will resolve this? The data should be useless after remote wiping and will need the advanced wipe from TWRP to bring the SD card back to life.

Last edited:

GinoAMelone

Jun 6, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
I use an app called Cerberus that can remotely wipe the SD card. It also has a bunch of other features for remotely controlling phones.

Been a happy user for several years. Never needed the remote wipe, but I have used the location and other features.

Reactions: jayinc11
I use an app called Cerberus that can remotely wipe the SD card. It also has a bunch of other features for remotely controlling phones.

Been a happy user for several years. Never needed the remote wipe, but I have used the location and other features.

Thanx for your suggestion, that apps looks promising. Been looking for something like this after a buddy's phone was stolen. A self destruct wiould be great after x number of unlock attempts-not sure if it has this or not, but will definitely check it out.

GinoAMelone

Jun 6, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Thanx for your suggestion, that apps looks promising. Been looking for something like this after a buddy's phone was stolen. A self destruct wiould be great after x number of unlock attempts-not sure if it has this or not, but will definitely check it out.

It doesn't have a wipe on failures, but it does take a picture and email you after X failures.

It can also be setup to notify you if a different SIM is inserted.

I also like that is can be controlled via a client app, the web or texts from any phone (with a password).

I like that it has an update.zip installer that survives factory resets. Few thieves will know/think to flash a new ROM.

Edit: Geez, I sound like a shill. Just a very happy user. I think I found it on XDA originally.

It doesn't have a wipe on failures, but it does take a picture and email you after X failures.

It can also be setup to notify you if a different SIM is inserted.

I also like that is can be controlled via a client app, the web or texts from any phone (with a password).

I like that it has an update.zip installer that survives factory resets. Few thieves will know/think to flash a new ROM.

Edit: Geez, I sound like a shill. Just a very happy user. I think I found it on XDA originally.

Nah you don't really - I perfectly get it. The stress I have seen on my buddy is immense, so I appreciate you emphasizing on this app. The thief wants $800 else... They have already changed gmail password, facebook, yada yada. If there's an app we can send to the phone and destroy it now that would be awesome. Any who major lesson learned. Thanx again.

Last edited:

GinoAMelone

Jun 6, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
If there's an app we can send to the phone and destroy it now that would be awesome. Any who major lesson learned. Thanx again.

I know I've seen an app that you can push that will locate the phone. Lemme look. Some thoughts for your friend...

Android Device Manager might work.

Maybe Lookout: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lookout

This one looks very promising: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.androidlost

This article seems to go over a bunch of options: http://phandroid.com/2014/02/11/find-lost-stolen-android-phone/

More good stuff: http://trendblog.net/how-to-track-your-lost-android-phone-without-tracking-app/

Best of luck.

Top Liked Posts