Kaiser Kernel Thread - ONLY FOR KERNEL AND BUGS

Search This thread

scooter1556

Feb 13, 2008
Bristol
I meant the yaffs driver, the Nand driver I was working on somehow got better in detecting bad blocks (or it could be an err on my part) :) and is obviously not the way to go.

No, it didn't sound too hopeful, i take it the NAND chip has had it? I made a change to the initrd the other day which clears another directory on the data partition which is used for dalvik cache. Since then, whenever data has become corrupt clearing dalvik cache in the installer menu has recovered the system and kept data mostly, so i would assume this directory is probably written to frequently so gets corrupt more often than not, or it could be an issue with dalvik that is being overlooked.

l1q1d

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 19, 2008
Venice
www.tech-team.it
I meant the yaffs driver, the Nand driver I was working on somehow got better in detecting bad blocks (or it could be an err on my part) :) and is obviously not the way to go.

I test that configuration and it seems quite stable (10 power cycle and many apps installed). I think that the bug is caused by the ecc:
- Nand driver doesn't handle the ecc
- yaffs create a new ecc from the data of nand driver
result:
nand corruption

with that configuration:
- Yaffs doesn't create ecc list
- the erase chunck avoid problem (hopefully)

the bad news is: it's quite slow!

I will release tomorrow a new kernel with ipv6 and this changes (need some more testing) only for brave testers.

Last edited:

cycloid

May 14, 2009
I've been thinking for a few weeks now that cell-data-connection may be related to stability. As a bit of background info i live on a hill surrounded by trees, the connection is generally only 2 bars and if it's windy/rainy the signal can drop, but whenever I have signal it's Edge. Where I work (some 20 miles away) the voice signal is *always* a full 4 bars, but G3/GPRS is non existent.... and this is where it gets really interesting. Some days I have a full data signal, other days there's no data, but on some days there's data at one end of my desk but none at the other! I noticed this before I switched to android and on my previous WiMo phone, it must be atmospheric or something.

Anyway, I have had quite a few lockups or restarts, and I've been thinking that the sheer stress of inconsistent data connections - and my attempts to use them while at work, where we have a mean firewall so I have to use my phone for email/facebook - is messing with Android. I.e. one second the phone checks the data connection and thinks all is good, the next second the data connection is gone but the phone is now attempting to sync...Other times the phone can be stubbornly convinced that there's no data connection but if I pull the battery and reboot it finds the one I know for a fact is there (because I'm somewhere else and can see the mast) as soon as it wakes up.

Last edited:

clemsyn

Sep 19, 2006
I test that configuration and it seems quite stable (10 power cycle and many apps installed). I think that the bug is caused by the ecc:
- yaffs create a new ecc from the data of nand driver
result:
nand corruption

with that configuration:
- Yaffs doesn't create ecc list
- the erase chunck avoid problem (hopefully)

the bad news is: it's quite slow!

I will release tomorrow a new kernel with ipv6 and this changes (need some more testing) only for brave testers.

I do agree, the nand driver gives 10 bytes of ecc but I think yaffs gives 12 bytes of ecc. When I changed the nand driver to 12 bytes, all hell broke lose and found all kinds bad blocks. If you look closely at the nand driver, I think it has the software ecc disabled. Another way to go around this is to enable software ecc in the nand driver and let yaffs do its own ecc.

clemsyn

Sep 19, 2006
Just a quick thumbs up, was on the #63 kernel and today upgraded to the #253 .. or whatever those numbers are :)

This latest build does seem smoother, faster and prettier. But that could be a placebo from reading all the other comments. Am system on NAND, data and swap on SD card partitions.

Main thing is that since Xmas when I put the #63 kernel on I've had zero, zip, nada data corruption, despite almost daily fallovers, lockups, white screens and swapping batteries. (which I'm hoping will all be a lot less now as I think I've finally figured out that I'm panel type 3!)

Keep it up people, thanks for your efforts.

If you are putting data on SD, I suggest you try my new kernel with Ext4 support in SD partition. I will update it soon to use barrier=1 for better data security while keeping the speed reasonable.

l1q1d

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 19, 2008
Venice
www.tech-team.it
i added also the support for ext4 but i need the changes to the initrd, could you please send me them?

The new changelog will be:
- ext2/ext4 support
- adb working on windows
- ipv6 support
- bluetooth modules
- nand stable

i wait for your changes on ext4.

ferr2

Jul 30, 2010
hangups

Hi there,

another hint. i noticed if i have data connection enable constantly, i have to reset the phone 2-4 times/day. if the data is turned off, it can alive days.

clemsyn

Sep 19, 2006

Attachments

• yaffs2.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Reactions: ahmet-54-54

tiagoclc

Nov 16, 2008
Thanks!
But I have bad news...
Lost my contacts after reboot using soft reset button.

Sent from my CyanogenMod Kaiser/Kaiser using XDA App

msichal

Feb 24, 2010
The main issues I have:
-sometimes can't wake from sleep
-is the backup/recovery even working? It never worked for me
-battery usage, of course.

Is the CPU frequency changed when going sleep? I think it should, maybe it should be compiled in kernel or something? Maybe a smart roguetools-like app to dynamically change the freq?

Heiligkuh

Dec 11, 2010
I think you guys may be on to something suspecting the data connection having something to do with the data corruption. I have been running Not So Super Froyo on a Kaiser for the past 4 months or so and noticed something. As with everyone else I have suffered with the corruption of the data partition on NAND every couple of days.

I switched to Clemsyn's 2.6.32.9 kernel from post 61 a couple months ago and it was better but still corrupted the data partition a little more often than I like although I learned to live with it by backing up important info regularly.

Anyway, recently I was able to get my phone to go a whole 12 days without corruption by turning off background data and disabling backup my data in privacy settings. I always disable the cellular data connection because the sim card I use does not have a data plan (company phone).

I'm thinking maybe Android is trying to do backups or send data in the background when there is no data connection and it is corrupting the data partition somehow.

It may be related to the problems we have with this kernel not wanting to wake up from standby at times and requiring a reset.

I did notice that with background data and automatic backups disabled the phone would recover from a lockup with little if any corruption. Over the 12 days it ran without corruption I would say I rebooted the phone on average twice a day due to lockups.

Before this a reboot would almost certainly mean loss of data if not total corruption of the data partition.

Anyone else notice that the Kaiser tends to lock up more on cloudy/rainy days or when you are in an area where cell coverage is poor, especially if you use GPS?

How about issues with bluetooth especially when disconnecting and re-connecting?

Does turning bluetooth on/off mess with your WiFi connection?

At any rate keep up the good work, you guys have done a great job breathing new life into the old Kaiser.

Krazy-Killa

Mar 14, 2009
kz.game-server.cc
I think you guys may be on to something suspecting the data connection having something to do with the data corruption. I have been running Not So Super Froyo on a Kaiser for the past 4 months or so and noticed something. As with everyone else I have suffered with the corruption of the data partition on NAND every couple of days.

I switched to Clemsyn's 2.6.32.9 kernel from post 61 a couple months ago and it was better but still corrupted the data partition a little more often than I like although I learned to live with it by backing up important info regularly.

Anyway, recently I was able to get my phone to go a whole 12 days without corruption by turning off background data and disabling backup my data in privacy settings. I always disable the cellular data connection because the sim card I use does not have a data plan (company phone).

I'm thinking maybe Android is trying to do backups or send data in the background when there is no data connection and it is corrupting the data partition somehow.

It may be related to the problems we have with this kernel not wanting to wake up from standby at times and requiring a reset.

I did notice that with background data and automatic backups disabled the phone would recover from a lockup with little if any corruption. Over the 12 days it ran without corruption I would say I rebooted the phone on average twice a day due to lockups.

Before this a reboot would almost certainly mean loss of data if not total corruption of the data partition.

Anyone else notice that the Kaiser tends to lock up more on cloudy/rainy days or when you are in an area where cell coverage is poor, especially if you use GPS?

How about issues with bluetooth especially when disconnecting and re-connecting?

Does turning bluetooth on/off mess with your WiFi connection?

At any rate keep up the good work, you guys have done a great job breathing new life into the old Kaiser.
Data corruption is because of a buggy NAND driver, not because of something in Android. We know of the issue, we just don't have spare phones to break to attempt fixing the NAND driver. Also we've been working on temporary work arounds to help with data corruption (ECC checking, filesystem ECC checking, etc), but so far they've yielded minimal help because the actual NAND driver is not reading/writing data properly, even though it thinks it is.

As far as everything else. I believe is just coincidence, as the kernels are still buggy, and there will be crashes, so the fact that it "crashes more on cloudy/rainy days" is just superstition.

Bluetooth, at least with my kernel is because the phone sleeps it shuts EVERYTHING down including Bluetooth when it's suppose to stay on. Like I said, most of the issues we are aware of, and we are fixing them, and the only one I believe won't be fixed anytime soon is the NAND driver as it's buggy, and anytime one of us attempts to fix, we corrupt our NAND chips to the point our phone's are not even usable.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is my latest nbh. Fixed the GPS and reboot issue with wifi (and hopefully any random reboots)

Hope you guys have the time to try it. LMK how it goes.
    BTW, use atools to edit it accordingly. This is panel 2 tilt keyboard

If issues still persists LMK and I'll Force chunk erase check and enable block refreshing for more stability (but this well decrease speed in writing)

BTW, this can be used with any BUILD. Just reinstall everything and would recommend fresh install of data.
    I'm back! Didn't realize our device was pushed back to legacy now :) Anyways, I got a G tab and was quite busy updating the kernel and playing with the device. I have to say, it's a pretty impressive tablet. I just built a kernel for my wet Kaiser that is still chugging along. Here are the changes I made.

1. Loosen up some Yaffs setting to improve speed
    2. Decreased kernel log buffer size to 32
    3. Enabled Block layer SG support to v4
    4. Enabled Block layer data integrity support
    5. Enabled CONFIG_UACCESS_WITH_MEMCPY
    6. Enabled Installation of FIQ hander

Please give me input on how it goes. Thanks.
    I start this new thread because i want highlight only kaiser changes
    Before posting use search button and look in this thread.

This is the kernel thread so all problem like "how to install","i can't install", "miss module", ecc ecc are not allowed. If you need to ask this probably you didn't read correctly the guide in atools.
    Atools is multyplatform and need python.

2.6.32 kernel changelog
    nand fixed
    irq problem is now fixed

TODO:
    finish battery support
    rewrite camera driver
    speed up gps

Latest releases are here

Atools thread
    Yah, not sure why but system is still mounted under RW permissions, no matter which build is used.

I know the partition is mounted on a RO section, but couldn't the kernel overwrite that permission and remount it as RW?

Our default userinit.sh calls for it to mount in ro so you might want to check your userinit.sh. My device mounts /system as ro.

BTW, Here is another experimental kernel to test. Here are the changes from the previous one

1. Disabled Cache short names in RAM
    2. Disabled yaffs2 block refreshing
    3. Disabled yaffs2 background processing
    4. Added Nand Device Support to Verify NAND page writes

Been trying to enable YAFFS to do ECC checks on tags by default but it crashes androidinstall. Anyways, I was informed by l1q1d that this is useless at the moment so I guess it's fine disabled.

This would require fresh installation of data. I dont think the data backup would work with this kernel.
    OK, releasing another experimental kernel..Here are the changes from the last kernel

1. Enabled yaffs ECC on tags (via init)
    2. battery fix by n2jrt
    3. Enabled block refreshing by yaffs (recommended by scooter)
    4. Enables background processing by yaffs
    5. Force chunk writes

and a few things I can't remember (must be the beer)

So far, I have enabled most of the options to protect the partition. Any recommendations will be appreciated. BTW, don't complain if it's slower than the last kernels :) Its because of all the options to make it stable. I Challenge you to make it fail :)