Busted phone for a Dev if you want it

Search This thread

Soup_Nazi

Jan 16, 2012
Alright guys, I had a conversation in Ax's "Run ROMs on different Carriers" thread, but I really want to get to the bottom of my issue, whether it be a hardware issue, ROM related, OR user related.

I've been having an issue with my phone the past few days. Started out it would read "invalid sim, need to reboot" or something along that. Anyways this was after flashing a nightly and I figured, OK, it's a nightly i'll live with it. Eventually my phone just started to power off/reboot all by itself; not real consistent but it was happening more than I would like. Today, the S*&% really hit the fan. I flashed a nightly Wednesday night(i'm not going to say which one, because i'm not sure if it was from the ROM itself or if this was a hardware issue). Anyways, Friday at about noon or so, I open a game to play on my lunch break, I get distracted so I lock my phone to attend to something else. I go back to my phone and it is powered off, now totally unresponsive to anything. I pull battery and try to restart, when I place the battery back in the phone it automatically reboots(WITHOUT ANY BUTTON PRESS) I thought to myself ok this is kind of weird. I try rebooting by using power+vol up...absolutely nothing, it's just a brick. Well, I pull the battery again, hold vol up thinking it will go into recovery...nope, it will boot for a sec or two, just enough to get the blue lettering on the top left of the screen then shuts off again. OK, let's put this b*&*h into download mode and see what happens. it goes into DL mode, all the way to the point of where it says " do not turn target off" then shuts down. I did both of these multiple times, with different batteries as well, plugged in and not. It won't stay on for a computer to recognize it. Someone suggested a stuck power button, I don't think so; it feels the same as it always has.

I was fortunate enough to be able to get another S4 with a busted screen so I switched out motherboards. I have a working phone again...which is all I was worried about. I've flashed quite a few ROMs, I follow procedure to the T when flashing... What do you guys think...hardware issue...user issue...ROM issue? I'm very curious to know because I don't want this happening again, obviously. I would even send the phone out to someone to play with(mind you, the screen doesn't work and the silver bezel is crappy because I just used my original one).

crazzysandman

Aug 3, 2010
Bakersfield
I would say stay away from whatever ROM you flashed. This could also be a hardware issue. I had my old note just randomly shut off on me and was unresponsive as well. Finally got it to boot and reset it. But in your case I would stay away from that ROM and maybe find something more stable. So as this is unknown to what happened I would not blame either. Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

rebel1699

Feb 13, 2008
Oklahoma
Google Pixel 3a XL
Google Pixel 4 XL
Alright guys, I had a conversation in Ax's "Run ROMs on different Carriers" thread, but I really want to get to the bottom of my issue, whether it be a hardware issue, ROM related, OR user related.

I've been having an issue with my phone the past few days. Started out it would read "invalid sim, need to reboot" or something along that. Anyways this was after flashing a nightly and I figured, OK, it's a nightly i'll live with it. Eventually my phone just started to power off/reboot all by itself; not real consistent but it was happening more than I would like. Today, the S*&% really hit the fan. I flashed a nightly Wednesday night(i'm not going to say which one, because i'm not sure if it was from the ROM itself or if this was a hardware issue). Anyways, Friday at about noon or so, I open a game to play on my lunch break, I get distracted so I lock my phone to attend to something else. I go back to my phone and it is powered off, now totally unresponsive to anything. I pull battery and try to restart, when I place the battery back in the phone it automatically reboots(WITHOUT ANY BUTTON PRESS) I thought to myself ok this is kind of weird. I try rebooting by using power+vol up...absolutely nothing, it's just a brick. Well, I pull the battery again, hold vol up thinking it will go into recovery...nope, it will boot for a sec or two, just enough to get the blue lettering on the top left of the screen then shuts off again. OK, let's put this b*&*h into download mode and see what happens. it goes into DL mode, all the way to the point of where it says " do not turn target off" then shuts down. I did both of these multiple times, with different batteries as well, plugged in and not. It won't stay on for a computer to recognize it. Someone suggested a stuck power button, I don't think so; it feels the same as it always has.

I was fortunate enough to be able to get another S4 with a busted screen so I switched out motherboards. I have a working phone again...which is all I was worried about. I've flashed quite a few ROMs, I follow procedure to the T when flashing... What do you guys think...hardware issue...user issue...ROM issue? I'm very curious to know because I don't want this happening again, obviously. I would even send the phone out to someone to play with(mind you, the screen doesn't work and the silver bezel is crappy because I just used my original one).

Im saying nothing for sure, but a stuck power button feels just like normal. I had this issue on two separate samsung phones (they are known for this issue). I thought it was just bs, but i decided to tear it down and check. I used a q-tip and everclear and got plenty in there, wiggled and pressed the button for around five minutes. Re assembled, put the battery in and sure enough, the problem was gone. You cant always feel the button sticking. But hey, if you are offering the remains up, ill take em! I would gladly pay $200 for a replacement screen for it to test on.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: ted77usa

Soup_Nazi

Jan 16, 2012
Im saying nothing for sure, but a stuck power button feels just like normal. I had this issue on two separate samsung phones (they are known for this issue). I thought it was just bs, but i decided to tear it down and check. I used a q-tip and everclear and got plenty in there, wiggled and pressed the button for around five minutes. Re assembled, put the battery in and sure enough, the problem was gone. You cant always feel the button sticking. But hey, if you are offering the remains up, ill take em! I would gladly pay $200 for a replacement screen for it to test on.

Someone beat you to it, Rebel, sorry...just took the first poster or PM that I got. I got the message overnight otherwise I would have posted in here.

I kinda played with the power button when it was tore down, however I didn't use any alcohol on it but that is a good idea.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Soup_Nazi

Jan 16, 2012
Edit: Used some IPA on the power button this morning, soaked it pretty well, pressed the button many many times with varying pressure, with a hard pointy object etc. etc., jiggled side to side, tried every option I could to get it unstuck (if that's what it is) and still doing the exact same thing.

Soup_Nazi

Jan 16, 2012
Mods, I'd like to politely request this thread to be closed...no use for it now. Thanks.

Reactions: s8freak

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Someone beat you to it, Rebel, sorry...just took the first poster or PM that I got. I got the message overnight otherwise I would have posted in here.

I kinda played with the power button when it was tore down, however I didn't use any alcohol on it but that is a good idea.

Mods, I'd like to politely request this thread to be closed...no use for it now. Thanks.