[GUIDE][UNLOCK BOOTLOADER]Guide to unlocking the bootloader on the L90 [ALL VARIANTS]

Search This thread

SubliemeSiem

Dec 7, 2008
Tilburg, NL
I have successfully unlocked bootloader, and since i'm so used on using power + volume up on major android phones to enter recovery, this phone is different, but that's not is concerning me, but I have lost root proprieties after I have unlocked the bootloader, is it normal? Btw my phone is 410d, you can I regain root again?

Thanks in advance

Shouldn't happen, but just run towelroot again and install supersu and you should be rooted again. Root only has effect on the Android OS itself, not on the bootloader.

SubliemeSiem

Dec 7, 2008
Tilburg, NL
Reactions: cyberfrnd

cyberfrnd

Feb 24, 2013
Sorry for the late reply, I had other responsibilities.. Anyway, I'm not really sure, but you should at least check this:
no worries mate.
I successfully unlocked my bootloader and installed twrp using your method.
I used V10C boot file and it worked without any problem.
Thank You very much.

Last edited:

syed sajid

Oct 28, 2014
Hyderabad
unable to root lg l90 d410 vd

Code:
#include 
/*
 * Your warranty is now likely void.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * spontaneous combustion, or any other host of cosmic penalties
 * which may befall you, your family, or your phone.
 */

Over the last few months development on the LG L90 has made some great strides, up to the point where we can actually install roms! In order to do this, however, you'll need an unlocked bootloader.
The problem that arises is that there are different models of the L90, being the D405, the D405n, the D410 and the D415. For most of the models the unlock process is very similar, but for the D415 another method is needed.
This guide is aimed at explaining the entire unlock process in a complete and simple way, so even if you have no experience flashing custom recoveries or roms at all, you should still be able to follow this guide. If you run into problems, please just post a reply or send me a PM and I'll do my best to help you.

First of all I'd like to note that I did not develop any of the bin files or apks in this guide, I'm only collecting all the unlock methods in one place for easy reference. Therefore I am not responsible for you bricking your device or causing any kind of damage to it. You follow this guide AT YOUR OWN RISK! That being said, let's get to the unlocking!

What you'll need to unlock the bootloader

1. A rooted LG L90
You can root the phone by going to https://towelroot.com in your mobile browser and tapping the lambda sign. Save and install the apk (make sure unknown sources are enabled in "menu > general > security"). Google will warn you about the app, this is because of the exploit which will enable the root access. Execute the program and tap "make it ra1n", then install supersu from the play store. Open supersu and choose to rebuild the binaries. This will fail, but after a reboot supersu should be installed and working properly.

2. Have adb installed.
just download the Android sdk and install it or, if you don't care about the SDK itself, the minimal adb from the bottom of this post (thanks to @shinobisoft for the upload). Now add the C:/path_to_the_sdk/sdk/platform-tools to your windows PATH variable (Windows 7: right click my computer > properties > advanced system settings > environment variables) or the foler in which adb.exe is located if you downloaded the minimal adb..
On your phone go to "menu > general > about phone > software information" and tap build version a few times untill it says you're a developer, then go to "menu > general > developer options" and enable usb debugging. Connect the phone with your PC and choose to connect in software mode and install the drivers and tools. When you get a message on your phone that your PC want to access usb debugging make sure you check the checkbox and accept. Now open a cmd prompt and type "adb devices" without the quotes. If it shows a series of letters and numbers followed by device, you're good to go. If it says unauthorized, you haven't accepted the prompt on your phone yet. If your device doesn't show up at all you haven't installed the drivers correctly.

3. Find out which device and software version you're running.
Go to menu > general > about phone > Hardware information for your Model number. Mine is LG-D405n, so my model is D405n.
Go to menu > general > about phone > Software information for your Software version. Mine is V10b-EUR-XX, so I've got version v10b.

4.1 If your model number is D405, D405n or D410, you'll need a modified aboot.bin to unlock the bootloader.
Go to the bottom of this post and download the file with your model and software version. I used the L90_D405n_v10b_hack.zip. Extract the aboot.bin in the zip file to a folder on your PC.

4.2 If your model number is D415, you'll need another method to unlock the bootloader, which is explained in this thread made by @aSuperSaiyanG0D.

Unlocking the bootloader on the D405, D405n and D410

1. Open a cmd window an CD to the folder where you've saved the aboot.bin you've downloaded in step 4.1
2. Execute the following commands:
Code:
adb push aboot.bin /storage/external_SD/aboot.bin
adb shell
  su
    dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/aboot of=/storage/external_SD/stockaboot.bin
    dd if=/storage/external_SD/aboot.bin of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/aboot
Right after the su command, supersu will give you a root request on your phone that you'll have to accept!
This will also make a backup of your current aboot partition as stockaboot.bin on your external SD card. If you don't have an external SD card, this won't work and you'll have to use /storage/emulated/0 (this is a zero, not the letter o) instead of /storage/external_SD/ like this:
Code:
adb push aboot.bin /storage/emulated/0/aboot.bin
adb shell
  su
    dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/aboot of=/storage/emulated/0/stockaboot.bin 5429599
    dd if=/storage/emulated/0/aboot.bin of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/aboot
3. That's basicly it, you can now install a custom recovery. I suggest downloading the latest TWRP (2.8.0.0 right now) from @shoxxy's thread, which can be found here. Just use ROM Toolbox to install it, choose rom installer, press settings > flash image and select the TWRP image from @shoxxy's thread. Afterwards you can boot to recovery using ROM Toolbox, or by shutting down the phone, holding volume down and power untill the lg logo shows, then releasing and immediately pressing those buttons again. You should get a screen asking to perform a factory reset. Choose yes twice (don't worry, it wont actually perform the reset) and TWRP should boot up. Now you can create backups and install custom roms too!
If you're a fan of cyanogenmod, you should visit @Quarx's thread, which can be found here. His CM11 is already mostly functional (right now on some models the front camera doesn't work and the ir blaster doesn't have any software, but most other functions actually do work very well, while it is faster than LG stock and gives almost twice the battery life), so if you like CM it's a thread worth keeping an eye on.

Flashing back the stock rom (in case of a brick)

If you've bricked your device, or want to revert to stock for any reason, you can follow this guide made by @gdjindal.

Towelroot is not working for my device and how can i root this device..pls help

P1nkm00n

May 28, 2007

Dear friends,
I'v just done correctly every step in this wonderful guide with my 405n.
1) Root with towelroot, then rootchecker.
2) Prompt step ok (2095172 bytes transferred in 1.261 secs).
3) TWRP 2.8 installed using flash image menu in ROM toolbox. "Success".

But when I try to reboot in recovery mode, I see black screen with "570 secure booting error" and then the pink one with "Ram dump mode".
Really don't know what to do. Maybe I have to downgrade to 10a, but I can't find 10a stock rom.

I noticed that it has the same behaviour when I try to make a factory reset from the setting menu. Reboot, black screen, pink screen.

Thanks in advance for your help.
P.

Last edited:

bravho

Aug 29, 2014
Dear friends,

But when I try to reboot in recovery mode, I see black screen with "570 secure booting error" and then the pink one with "Ram dump mode".
Really don't know what to do. Maybe I have to downgrade to 10a, but I can't find 10a stock rom.

I noticed that it has the same behaviour when I try to make a factory reset from the setting menu. Reboot, black screen, pink screen.

P.

Unlocked your bootloader?

Sent from my LG-D405n using XDA Free mobile app

bravho

Aug 29, 2014
I used rashr to flash the twrp img. Maybe you can try @Quarx?

bravho

Aug 29, 2014
Then I can't help I think... Sorry

Sent from my K00F using XDA Free mobile app

SubliemeSiem

Dec 7, 2008
Tilburg, NL
Dear friends,

P.

The only thing I can think of is that the bootloader hasn't been unlocked properly. Otherwise you should be able to perform a factory reset. When I tried flashing twrp without unlocking once I got the same pink screen. Try flashing the correct aboot again and pick it up from there.

whodisname

Feb 14, 2012
destrehan
So acording to the last 4-5lines here. I shoulb be ready to unlock

Attachments

• 1415280064402.jpg
    1415280064402.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 304

whodisname

Feb 14, 2012
destrehan
I successfully installed twrp. I can make a nandroid, I can restore that nandroid. That is all. Very helpful, I promise. But this phone already has development. I dont wanna wait for the toolkit ?
Also,i did this on my pc first. It didnt have those errors, it looked like it worked. I left the cord in, powerdown, took cord out. Pressed only the volume up botton, ...straight to download mode. No recovery. I ven tried to delete the laf partition manually. It grew back!

Last edited:

SubliemeSiem

Dec 7, 2008
Tilburg, NL
I successfully installed twrp. I can make a nandroid, I can restore that nandroid. That is all. Very helpful, I promise. But this phone already has development. I dont wanna wait for the toolkit ?
Also,i did this on my pc first. It didnt have those errors, it looked like it worked. I left the cord in, powerdown, took cord out. Pressed only the volume up botton, ...straight to download mode. No recovery. I ven tried to delete the laf partition manually. It grew back!

You can get in the recovery by pressing power + volume down until the LG logo shows and then release those buttons and press them again. You should get a prompt about a factory reset; choose yes here twice and you'll get into your recovery. The laf partition will always be there, it will just be empty if you followed the guide in step 4.2.

Last edited:
Reactions: whodisname

bravho

Aug 29, 2014
You can use same as 10b

Sent from my LG-D405 using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    #include 
    /*
     * Your warranty is now likely void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * spontaneous combustion, or any other host of cosmic penalties
     * which may befall you, your family, or your phone.
     */

Over the last few months development on the LG L90 has made some great strides, up to the point where we can actually install roms! In order to do this, however, you'll need an unlocked bootloader.
    The problem that arises is that there are different models of the L90, being the D405, the D405n, the D410 and the D415. For most of the models the unlock process is very similar, but for the D415 another method is needed.
    This guide is aimed at explaining the entire unlock process in a complete and simple way, so even if you have no experience flashing custom recoveries or roms at all, you should still be able to follow this guide. If you run into problems, please just post a reply or send me a PM and I'll do my best to help you.

First of all I'd like to note that I did not develop any of the bin files or apks in this guide, I'm only collecting all the unlock methods in one place for easy reference. Therefore I am not responsible for you bricking your device or causing any kind of damage to it. You follow this guide AT YOUR OWN RISK! That being said, let's get to the unlocking!

What you'll need to unlock the bootloader

1. A rooted LG L90
    You can root the phone by going to https://towelroot.com in your mobile browser and tapping the lambda sign. Save and install the apk (make sure unknown sources are enabled in "menu > general > security"). Google will warn you about the app, this is because of the exploit which will enable the root access. Execute the program and tap "make it ra1n", then install supersu from the play store. Open supersu and choose to rebuild the binaries. This will fail, but after a reboot supersu should be installed and working properly.
    UPDATE: If towelroot doesn't work for you, you've probably got the L90 with an updated firmware. In that case you can follow this guide by @gdjindal to obtain root access. Afterwards you can follow the rest of this guide again.

2. Have adb installed.
    just download the Android sdk and install it or, if you don't care about the SDK itself, the minimal adb from the bottom of this post (thanks to @shinobisoft for the upload). Now add the C:/path_to_the_sdk/sdk/platform-tools to your windows PATH variable (Windows 7: right click my computer > properties > advanced system settings > environment variables) or the foler in which adb.exe is located if you downloaded the minimal adb..
    On your phone go to "menu > general > about phone > software information" and tap build version a few times untill it says you're a developer, then go to "menu > general > developer options" and enable usb debugging. Connect the phone with your PC and choose to connect in software mode and install the drivers and tools. When you get a message on your phone that your PC want to access usb debugging make sure you check the checkbox and accept. Now open a cmd prompt and type "adb devices" without the quotes. If it shows a series of letters and numbers followed by device, you're good to go. If it says unauthorized, you haven't accepted the prompt on your phone yet. If your device doesn't show up at all you haven't installed the drivers correctly.

3. Find out which device and software version you're running.
    Go to menu > general > about phone > Hardware information for your Model number. Mine is LG-D405n, so my model is D405n.
    Go to menu > general > about phone > Software information for your Software version. Mine is V10b-EUR-XX, so I've got version v10b.

4.1 If your model number is D405, D405n or D410, you'll need a modified aboot.bin to unlock the bootloader.
    Go to the bottom of this post and download the file with your model and software version. I used the L90_D405n_v10b_hack.zip. Extract the aboot.bin in the zip file to a folder on your PC.

4.2 If your model number is D415, you'll need another method to unlock the bootloader, which is explained in this thread made by @aSuperSaiyanG0D.

Unlocking the bootloader on the D405, D405n and D410

1. Open a cmd window an CD to the folder where you've saved the aboot.bin you've downloaded in step 4.1
    2. Execute the following commands:
    Code:
    adb push aboot.bin /storage/external_SD/aboot.bin
    adb shell
      su
        dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/aboot of=/storage/external_SD/stockaboot.bin
        dd if=/storage/external_SD/aboot.bin of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/aboot
    Right after the su command, supersu will give you a root request on your phone that you'll have to accept!
    This will also make a backup of your current aboot partition as stockaboot.bin on your external SD card. If you don't have an external SD card, this won't work and you'll have to use /storage/emulated/0 (this is a zero, not the letter o) instead of /storage/external_SD/ like this:
    Code:
    adb push aboot.bin /storage/emulated/0/aboot.bin
    adb shell
      su
        dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/aboot of=/storage/emulated/0/stockaboot.bin 5429599
        dd if=/storage/emulated/0/aboot.bin of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/aboot
    3. That's basicly it, you can now install a custom recovery. I suggest downloading the latest TWRP (2.8.0.0 right now) from @shoxxy's thread, which can be found here. Just use ROM Toolbox to install it, choose rom installer, press settings > flash image and select the TWRP image from @shoxxy's thread. Afterwards you can boot to recovery using ROM Toolbox, or by shutting down the phone, holding volume down and power untill the lg logo shows, then releasing and immediately pressing those buttons again. You should get a screen asking to perform a factory reset. Choose yes twice (don't worry, it wont actually perform the reset) and TWRP should boot up. Now you can create backups and install custom roms too!
    If you're a fan of cyanogenmod, you should visit @Quarx's thread, which can be found here. His CM11 is already mostly functional (right now on some models the front camera doesn't work and the ir blaster doesn't have any software, but most other functions actually do work very well, while it is faster than LG stock and gives almost twice the battery life), so if you like CM it's a thread worth keeping an eye on.

Flashing back the stock rom (in case of a brick)

If you've bricked your device, or want to revert to stock for any reason, you can follow this guide made by @gdjindal.
    Good news for the brazilian users that owns the D410hn variant, I managed to unlock the lollipop v20b. It may also work with the v20a, the aboot is exactly the same every single byte.

Thanks to Зевс at 4pda, all I done was load the D410 aboot variant at IDA he unlocked, took a look at the flow chart to what changes he made, loaded our D410hn aboot and patched the right addresses.

At first I was reluctant to test myself - for those who are using the D410 binaries and image files to our D410hn, beware, they are not the same (I compared many variants KK v10a/b/c/... and LL v20a/b aboots with IDA and HxD). I see many people with the D410hn getting bricks and struggling to unbrick their phones after flashing other variables binaries and images, at least make a mmcblk0 backup before trying anything.

My advises:

First make a backup of your mmcblk0 as advised in this topic (you need busybox): http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=49442094&postcount=25

If anything goes wrong, you can recover from a brick using your own loader with the steps in this post: http://xdaforums.com/lg-l90/help/bricked-d410-t3094018/post61741908

Then go ahead and flash the aboot. Make sure you are rooted on v20a/b with the d410hn variant. Then flash the twrp recovery from this topic with rom installer app: http://xdaforums.com/lg-l90/development/recovery-twrp2-7-1-0lgl90w7xxshoxx-t2826150

Also, never flash CM with lollipop bootstack, they boot only with kitkat bootstack. AFAIK, there is no actual d410hn aboot unlocked, people are just using the d410 aboot, if you want to flash d410 kk bootstack and anything goes wrong, well, good luck, don't blame on me, maybe if I feel downgrading to kitkat I'll make an actual d410hn bootstack to everyone stop risking using the d410 variant files.
    I found no problem, but anyway thanks dude! :laugh:

Then don't say thanks, but hit the thanks button on the first post! ;)
    There are aboots for V10a and for V10b and you wonder which file you should choose?
    Hmmm... Can you read it again please?
    There are aboots for:

D405 V10a
    D405n V10b

I have a D405n V10a.
    That's why I asked if I should use D405 V10a or D405n V10b.
    Hi, I followed your instructions, and it worked. But when I try to go into fastboot it says waiting for device .
    I think that my bootloader is still locked. How can it be? What can I do to unlock it?
    Thanks in advance!
    The fastboot is hidden by the download mode so you should remove the laf.img
    follow these https://xdaforums.com/lg-l90/general/guide-fastboot-l90-d415-t2827825