[Boot Animation] ctOS Boot Animation

Search This thread

Ariac Konrel

Dec 13, 2014
Mesa
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Weird.

Strange... not sure why it would be doing that to you, which ROM are you using? Both seem to work for me, and I just rechecked the new 1440x2560 one.

Anyway, I made you one here that loops the entire animation while booting. Hopefully you'll catch a glimpse of that elusive "part0". :)

I'm on the stock ROM, decided to go with that for a while until some more ROMs get released for the G3. There are some, but eh.
Animations work and all, most of the time so that's not an issue.

How odd, this time around the boot logo was the only thing there, no boot animation.

benmeroff

Sep 11, 2008
Austin
I'm on the stock ROM, decided to go with that for a while until some more ROMs get released for the G3. There are some, but eh.
Animations work and all, most of the time so that's not an issue.

How odd, this time around the boot logo was the only thing there, no boot animation.
Yeah that is odd... never seen that happen unless you're booting a ROM for the first time, and it's taking it's time loading everything to boot up.

It sounds like, for whatever reason, the boot animation doesn't start until it's almost over. And you said this wasn't an issue with other boot animations?

Ariac Konrel

Dec 13, 2014
Mesa
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Yeah that is odd... never seen that happen unless you're booting a ROM for the first time, and it's taking it's time loading everything to boot up.

It sounds like, for whatever reason, the boot animation doesn't start until it's almost over. And you said this wasn't an issue with other boot animations?

Nope. I am not.

Not that I noticed, I am going to try making it into a Gif and converting it on http://gif2boot.ifc0nfig.com/, and see how that works out.

Since the G3 boots very fast, 120FPS at the proper resolution without loop should be fine.

benmeroff

Sep 11, 2008
Austin
Nope. I am not.

Not that I noticed, I am going to try making it into a Gif and converting it on http://gif2boot.ifc0nfig.com/, and see how that works out.

Since the G3 boots very fast, 120FPS at the proper resolution without loop should be fine.

Well I could actually start working on a 120FPS version, as mine is only 30FPS; unless you actually just want it to speed up so it has time to show while booting, which setting it at 4X its frame speed would definitely do.

Ariac Konrel

Dec 13, 2014
Mesa
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Sorry, got caught in a meeting for a bit; here's a 120FPS version for you, with no loop.

I made this.
http://i.imgur.com/1djQaA2.gif (Gotta decrease the file size, working on it now).

I will use http://gif2boot.ifc0nfig.com/ to make the bootanimation.zip files and test them out.

I'll report back if I have any success!

---------- Post added at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------

I wasn't able to do it, it would start to run but just show a black boot animation.

I am trying your 120fps on and still no success. The boot animation won't even go on.
I restored my old boot animation, and I am just gonna stick with the high resolution (working) boot animation that I used earlier, despite part0 being gone.

I set the boot animation to 60FPS, and it skipped it.
How odd.

Last edited:

benmeroff

Sep 11, 2008
Austin
Is it possible to use this on CM12? I love this, would be stoked to use :good:

Unfortunately I'm wicked busy right now between my full-time job and the 3 classes taking, so I don't have the time necessary to look into rebuilding a CM12 version, but I'd go ahead and try the CM11 one currently on the Play Store and just make sure you can delete the APK within your recovery if it won't boot. I'd assume it should be fine (I'm actually using it myself on CM12 right now), but until I can rebuild it or just confirm that it works 100% of the time, use at your own risk.

TheShamsMan

Oct 11, 2010
Taitung
I'm on a 5.0.2 and 5.1 based ROM. One S3 and the other a Nexus 10. They both worked fine. I did, however, notice that before the boot animation comes up for the Nexus 10, an area of the screen, I'm guessing 1920x1080 bit of the whole 2560x1600 flashes and spazes white before the actual animation comes up. Any ideas? Could it be because my device isn't 1080p exactly? Thanks!

benmeroff

Sep 11, 2008
Austin
I'm on a 5.0.2 and 5.1 based ROM. One S3 and the other a Nexus 10. They both worked fine. I did, however, notice that before the boot animation comes up for the Nexus 10, an area of the screen, I'm guessing 1920x1080 bit of the whole 2560x1600 flashes and spazes white before the actual animation comes up. Any ideas? Could it be because my device isn't 1080p exactly? Thanks!

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it is, but I can't say for certain. It does seem like that white flash could be a quick resizing redraw that you're seeing before it begins the animation.

TheShamsMan

Oct 11, 2010
Taitung
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it is, but I can't say for certain. It does seem like that white flash could be a quick resizing redraw that you're seeing before it begins the animation.

Thanks for the reply!

Do you know if there is anyway I can change the canvas size so that it won't adjust?

It obviously isn't a huge deal, but it totally bugs me. Haha.

TheShamsMan

Oct 11, 2010
Taitung
Hi,

I was wondering if you could upload a 720x1280 (S3) and a 2560x1600 (Nexus 10) version of this boot animation?

I ask because on both my devices, there is about a second of a white flash before the animation begins. We had previous suspected that this could be due to the resolution adjustment. I tried making the changes myself, but was not able to do it without spending hours on cropping and expanding the images. So I thought I'd request it from you.

I installed the boot animation through the Play Store, so I'm guessing everyone is has a non 1080x1920 resolution device is experiencing the same thing.

Would it be too much trouble to request additional resolutions? Thanks!

benmeroff

Sep 11, 2008
Austin
Hi,

I was wondering if you could upload a 720x1280 (S3) and a 2560x1600 (Nexus 10) version of this boot animation?

I ask because on both my devices, there is about a second of a white flash before the animation begins. We had previous suspected that this could be due to the resolution adjustment. I tried making the changes myself, but was not able to do it without spending hours on cropping and expanding the images. So I thought I'd request it from you.

I installed the boot animation through the Play Store, so I'm guessing everyone is has a non 1080x1920 resolution device is experiencing the same thing.

Would it be too much trouble to request additional resolutions? Thanks!

Sorry TheShamsMan, classes have had me swamped recently and I just totally forgot to get back to you!

As far as the white flash, I do believe it is the system resizing the animation, so you're right on there. I can easily pump out the 720p version this weekend as it's an easy proportionate resize (same aspect ratio), and adding 80px of black space to each side of the current 2560x1440 version I have should be a fairly simple batch action as well. Hopefully I can have both done this Saturday.

Also, I've noticed that a few black frames somehow got added between the initial animation and the loop when I made my Play Store version, so I'll be addressing that as well.

Reactions: TheShamsMan

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello!

So I've been playing a bit of Watch Dogs as of late, and decided that I wanted to go ahead and make a ctOS-style boot animation, emulating the geometric hacker-looking loading animation you see in the game;

I went ahead and found this video of the animation I was looking for, and formatted it into a 1080p boot animation for my OnePlus One, and any other 1080x1920 resolution phones.

Click Here To Download The CM11/CM12 Version From Google Play!

OTHER LINKS ARE DOWN THIS WEEK UNTIL MY GOOGLE DRIVE IS UPDATED

I've attached the two ZIP installers to this OP in the meantime:

Installation Instructions:

The first download link is the Google Play link for my CM11/CM12 version, it works with any ROM that supports both the CM11 Theme Engine, and the new CM12 Theme Engine!

The other 2 attachments are flashable ZIP files - one for 1080p phones, and the other for 720p phones - just reboot to your recovery (TWRP or CWM), and flash away! The installer backs up your previous boot animation, and applies mine. It's that simple.
    A huge thanks to Flashalot for making the ZIP for me, and now thanks to exxxistent for making a 720p version installer too!

ATTENTION -- for any ROMs using the CM11 or CM12 Theme Engine, use the Google Play link above; any of the following methods will only replace the stock boot animation for the ROM with the one you install. Therefore, any themes you apply other than the stock ROM theme will supersede my boot animation and use the theme's instead.

To install via your phone:

• Download the bootanimation.zip file, and open up a root file explorer to find where you downloaded it to
    • Now go ahead and navigate to your /system/media folder (you may need to allow your file explorer to mount system as read/write for the next step)
    • Find your current bootanimation.zip, and rename it to bootanimation.zip.bak (just backin' up your original one)
    • Now copy the downloaded bootanimation.zip into /system/media, and make sure the permissions for the zip are RW-R-R (octal 644)
    • And it's installed!

To install via ADB:

• Download the bootanimation.zip file from the download link above, and find the file in your computer's file manager
    • Open up the folder where you have your ADB binary, and copy the bootanimation.zip file into that folder
    • Connect your phone to your computer via USB, and make sure USB Debugging is enabled on your phone
    • Open up Command Prompt (PC) or Terminal (Mac), and type:
      Code:
      cd [THE FOLDER ADB IS IN]
    ** For Mac users, you may need to type in ./adb instead of just adb, if you get a "command not found" error

• Now, type in the following, hitting enter after every line:
      Code:
      adb push bootanimation.zip /sdcard/bootanimation.zip

adb shell

su

mount -o remount rw /system

mv /system/media/bootanimation.zip /system/media/bootanimation.zip.bak

cp /sdcard/bootanimation.zip /system/media

chmod 644 /system/media/bootanimation.zip
    • And you're good to go!

I'm currently working on a variant of this animation, in which the beginning part loops and then the animation ends on the ctOS icon, like it does if you are waiting for the game to load. I've figured out how the Android L and M boot animations implement a closing animation, so it shouldn't take long to recreate the 1080p version to start with.

Enjoy!
    No worries on your English, it sounds just fine to me!

And on the animation, I just finished a OnePlus/ctOS hybrid one you may be interested in... see what you think:

DhOOdUob

Here's the bootanimation.zip, just replace it using the instructions in the OP.

Okay, this is just amazing. I love it lol. I worked on a bootanimation too but this is awesomely better than mine :good: :good:
    CM11 Theme!!

Just updated the OP with a link to the CM11 version in Google Play!!

Click here for the Google Play link
    Very nice!
    Is this just download and flash via twrp?
    Sent via quantum entanglement, focused through my OnePlus One.

It is not. It's to push to /system/media and to set permissions to at least rw-r-r.
    Great animation. I saw on the first page you said the images are in JPEG. If you'll allow me to offer some unsolicited advice, I highly recommend converting them to PNG8. Your full 1080p JPEG images are about 150k a piece, whereas the 1080p images I use in my animations are about 56k a piece. That could reduce your zip to about 1/3 its current size with no reduction in quality. Win-win! :highfive:

Again, though, really cool animation. :good: