[FIX] Dust under the screen? Read here.

Search This thread

felixoanta

Jan 31, 2012
Sibiu
I had dust under my screen. Here's a easy solution.

Items needed: heat gun
razor blade
guitar pick/credit card
silicone/ or any other rubbery glue
3m tape

1. Heat outer edges of screen with heat gun, for about a minute.
2. Use razor blade, or something very thin to fit between digitizer and plastic frame of the phone. ( I suggest starting on the right hand side of the screen towards the top, as the connector is on the top left side for the digitizer, and there's a strip at the bottom for the buttons)
3. Once it has started separating, use the guitar pick, or credit card and work your way around the screen, going down the right hand side, bottom( careful of the little white strip for the buttons) and back up the left hand side.
4. When you've done that, you will be able to flip back the digitizer, DON'T TRY TO YANK IT OFF THE PHONE, it's still connected inside, JUST FLIP IT BACKWARDS.
5. Clean off all the crappy double sided tape from the factory.
6. Apply 4 SMALL squares of 3M double tape to the corners, cut them small enough, and place them on the corners, so they don't show up when you put the digitizer back on. You'll see how there's a certain amount of room to work with.
7. Apply with a toothpick, or something similiar, silicone, or your rubbery glue, to the raised edge of the frame, you know the one you just cleaned the factory tape from. ( LESS IS BETTER, if you use too much, when you press the digitizer back on, it will spread between the screen and digitizer, so you will have to remove it again, clean and start over.)
8.Then once you applied your glue, apply your digitizer back on, carefully pushing around the edges, not extra hard, just so it sits nice and flush like it did from the factory.
9. Wipe any excess glue that comes out around the edges.

Enjoy your dust free Sensation.

PS you can search youtube for sensation digitizer replacement, and use the part towards the end, for picture/video reference. YOU DON'T NEED TO TAKE YOUR PHONE APART for this because you don't need to disconnect the digitizer, like I said just flip it back.;)

ALMOST FORGOT, GET THE THINNEST POSSIBLE 3M TAPE, OR DOUBLE SIDED TAPE, SO THE SCREEN WILL SIT FLUSH WITH THE FRAME AFTER INSTALLING.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q_KihDB4Og&feature=related - SKIP TO 4:30 for digitizer removal. IF NOT I'M ALLOWED TO POST LINKS TO YOUTUBE, PLEASE LET ME KNOW, I WILL REMOVE IT.

Last edited:

mrg02d

Jul 3, 2011
Tallahassee
I wouldn't even consider this if your phone is still under warranty. This is a known problem and HTC readily admitted it for me. I got a new phone for free and it IS dust free for months now.

Matt

felixoanta

Jan 31, 2012
Sibiu
True, if I was under warranty I probably would've sent it in too but I got my phone from the US so I probably would've had to send it back there for replacement...but for those of us that don't have warranty and are rooted, flashed, and supercid, and don't want lose all that its a decent alternative in my opinion.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G with Beats Audio using XDA App

cyanogendroid

Nov 24, 2011
just wanted to ask because i may end up doing this, what specific glue did you use and how were your results?

felixoanta

Jan 31, 2012
Sibiu
just wanted to ask because i may end up doing this, what specific glue did you use and how were your results?

I'm in Romania at the moment, and they don't have stuff here that they have in the US. So I just used the thinnest double sided tape I could find here, generic brand, and universal black silicone.

Being in the US, I can tell you that the best tape would be 3M double sided FILM tape( it's very thin, business card like and will allow your digitizer to sit flush with the frame like stock) since you can get it there. And for the sealing part of it, either silicone(black) or a glue that will NOT harden completely when dry, that way if you need to ever remove the digitizer again you are able to do so.

As for my results, you can't tell anything was ever done to the phone!

Last edited:

Zedrax

Feb 5, 2012
Technical otaku. My G3 hero has this problem too.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using XDA App

felixoanta

Jan 31, 2012
Sibiu
I bought mine used, so I'm not even sure if it was still under warranty. And I'm in Romania right now and I got it from the US, so I don't know how that would've worked. I'm rooted, flashed, supercid, and all that good stuff, and the back cover is polished. I'm sure HTC would've had something to say about that. And then to sit without a phone for who knows how many weeks and the replacement to get dust too.. at least now I know it'll never have dust again.

exxeHR

Jan 16, 2012
well, too extreme for me...heat gun? Since my Sensation has 2-year warranty and HTC admits there is a problem, i will not take the risk (and void warranty)...but i guess somenone could use this fix...i guess...

orellius

Feb 3, 2011
Calgary
Yeah that sounds freaky and I'm used to reppairing small electronics and doing stupid things, but I wouldn't try this :p

ungraph

Dec 30, 2011
Well, my Sensation isn't under warranty (I believe; was purchased via ebay), so I might have to perform this in the future when the dust build up becomes unbearable. Thanks for the tutorial OP.

boleguc

Aug 26, 2011
Novi Sad
Thank you so much for this tutorial! I did it and I've never done something like this before, it's not that difficult. I just had some problems with cleaning the tape that was on the screen before, but I managed somehow... Thanks again, OP, you save my senny and you saved me a lot of money by not having to take it to a pro to do it :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I had dust under my screen. Here's a easy solution.

Items needed: heat gun
    razor blade
    guitar pick/credit card
    silicone/ or any other rubbery glue
    3m tape

1. Heat outer edges of screen with heat gun, for about a minute.
    2. Use razor blade, or something very thin to fit between digitizer and plastic frame of the phone. ( I suggest starting on the right hand side of the screen towards the top, as the connector is on the top left side for the digitizer, and there's a strip at the bottom for the buttons)
    3. Once it has started separating, use the guitar pick, or credit card and work your way around the screen, going down the right hand side, bottom( careful of the little white strip for the buttons) and back up the left hand side.
    4. When you've done that, you will be able to flip back the digitizer, DON'T TRY TO YANK IT OFF THE PHONE, it's still connected inside, JUST FLIP IT BACKWARDS.
    5. Clean off all the crappy double sided tape from the factory.
    6. Apply 4 SMALL squares of 3M double tape to the corners, cut them small enough, and place them on the corners, so they don't show up when you put the digitizer back on. You'll see how there's a certain amount of room to work with.
    7. Apply with a toothpick, or something similiar, silicone, or your rubbery glue, to the raised edge of the frame, you know the one you just cleaned the factory tape from. ( LESS IS BETTER, if you use too much, when you press the digitizer back on, it will spread between the screen and digitizer, so you will have to remove it again, clean and start over.)
    8.Then once you applied your glue, apply your digitizer back on, carefully pushing around the edges, not extra hard, just so it sits nice and flush like it did from the factory.
    9. Wipe any excess glue that comes out around the edges.

Enjoy your dust free Sensation.

PS you can search youtube for sensation digitizer replacement, and use the part towards the end, for picture/video reference. YOU DON'T NEED TO TAKE YOUR PHONE APART for this because you don't need to disconnect the digitizer, like I said just flip it back.;)

ALMOST FORGOT, GET THE THINNEST POSSIBLE 3M TAPE, OR DOUBLE SIDED TAPE, SO THE SCREEN WILL SIT FLUSH WITH THE FRAME AFTER INSTALLING.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q_KihDB4Og&feature=related - SKIP TO 4:30 for digitizer removal. IF NOT I'M ALLOWED TO POST LINKS TO YOUTUBE, PLEASE LET ME KNOW, I WILL REMOVE IT.
    That sounds a bit scary :eek: heat gun on my screen? No no no...

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using XDA App
    Well, my Sensation isn't under warranty (I believe; was purchased via ebay), so I might have to perform this in the future when the dust build up becomes unbearable. Thanks for the tutorial OP.

No problem... if you do it, you'll see it's not a big deal, and an easy process.