[WARNING] Google Music and Root [MEGA UPDATE--FIXED]

Search This thread

Amphibliam

Feb 28, 2011
If you have root, then be careful. If you authorize 10 devices (different ROMs) to your Google Account, then you can't add any more. It used to be as simple as deauthorizing devices every time you reach you limit. As of now, you can only deauthorize 4 device PER YEAR. Be careful...I just had to reupload all my music to a different account because of this.

MEGA SUPER ULTRA EDIT: Google appears to have fixed the issue. Both Adrynalyne and I can now deauthorize devices. It still says the 4 device restriction applies, but seems to be fixed. YAY GOOGLE!

Last edited:

Amphibliam

Feb 28, 2011
I called and they said it happened within the last 60 days. They couldn't do anything, but passed it onto Level 2 Tech Support and will email me if they can manually deauthorize my devices.

ragnarokx

Sep 1, 2010
Southwest
How does Google determine if your device is the same or not? Something in build.prop? If when flashing between ROMs we keep this value the same, your device would always appear to be the same. Problem solved.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

codesplice

Jun 17, 2008
Huntsville, AL, USA
Good thing I just deauthorized all but two devices! This blows

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Me too! I did just check to make sure it wouldn't let me deauthorize anymore, and Amphibliam is correct. Quite a bummer. Do let us know if you are able to manually deauth any devices or if any other workarounds are found.

Attachments

• ScreenShot004.png
    ScreenShot004.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 2,132

codesplice

Jun 17, 2008
Huntsville, AL, USA
How does Google determine if your device is the same or not? Something in build.prop? If when flashing between ROMs we keep this value the same, your device would always appear to be the same. Problem solved.

I think it has to do with how the app authenticates with your Google account. Each time you click "allow" on the prompt to allow the Music app access to your account counts as an activation.

ragnarokx

Sep 1, 2010
Southwest
I think it has to do with how the app authenticates with your Google account. Each time you click "allow" on the prompt to allow the Music app access to your account counts as an activation.

Last time I changed ROMs and restored Google Music with data via MyBackup, it didn't ask me to authorize - it was already authorized. Potential work around?

Amphibliam

Feb 28, 2011
Possibly. Doesn't help me at this point. My tenth device was reached when I upgraded to build 36. I forgot to flash gapps, so it killed all my google accounts. I tried restoring data from the Music app on my Inc2, but no dice. My guess is once this s**t really hits the fan, people are gonna find a fix. If this happens again with no workaround, my fix is called Amazon MP3.

adrynalyne

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2008
They can't provide an AOSP supported device and then limit Google services to it and not expect an uproar.

Seems to me a simple data wipe would do the same thing.

Last edited:

Amphibliam

Feb 28, 2011
Honestly, the only reasons why this isn't widespread is because people just haven't flashed enough ROMs yet. This won't just affect the Nexus, but ANY rooted Android device that flashes 15 or more ROMs in a year. Which is like 99% of the rooted population. My guess is that within 1-2 months, this will be all over the internet. I was just unlucky enough to be one of the first. But this really is absurd. What is the reasoning behind limiting the # of devices that can be revoked? Absolutely ridiculous.

And yes, any data wipe would do the same thing, so I imagine if you have a phone with issues (like the Nexus) and you buy the first one, then try 2-3 data wipes/different ROMs to get signal drops/color/whatever fixed. That's 3 devices. Then, they get 2 more Nexuses, and try the same thing on the first, but the second device is fine, so they flash a ROM. That's already 7-9 devices right there. That means you can only flash 5-7 ROMs before you encounter this issue.

Last edited:

adrynalyne

Dec 13, 2008
Honestly, the only reasons why this isn't widespread is because people just haven't flashed enough ROMs yet. This won't just affect the Nexus, but ANY rooted Android device that flashes 15 or more ROMs in a year. Which is like 99% of the rooted population. My guess is that within 1-2 months, this will be all over the internet. I was just unlucky enough to be one of the first. But this really is absurd. What is the reasoning behind limiting the # of devices that can be revoked? Absolutely ridiculous.

Wiping a device has the same effect.

You don't need to flash a rom, because it doesn't change your esn, meid, or even your android_id.

adrynalyne

Dec 13, 2008

I am sure that once this issue is out in the open, it will be a rule that you can only deauthorize 4 unique devices each year. As of right now it is not differentiating between multiple instances of the same device.

I have no idea who to ***** at, but I'll support anyone who starts a complaint, petition, or whatever.

quick_

Jul 14, 2010
Houston
It was mentioned earlier but, what I do is restore my "accounts/sync" with titanium backup.

That way you don't have to authorize the device each time.

Be sure to:

1. After backing up all apps and system data, then after flashing a new ROM on first boot, install titanium backup (pro or not) VIA APK
  2. Then run Titanium Backup and restore the accounts
  3. Then restore the google music app with DATA via Titanium Backup
  4. Then use the market and music like normal without any need for autorizing a new device etc..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you have root, then be careful. If you authorize 10 devices (different ROMs) to your Google Account, then you can't add any more. It used to be as simple as deauthorizing devices every time you reach you limit. As of now, you can only deauthorize 4 device PER YEAR. Be careful...I just had to reupload all my music to a different account because of this.

MEGA SUPER ULTRA EDIT: Google appears to have fixed the issue. Both Adrynalyne and I can now deauthorize devices. It still says the 4 device restriction applies, but seems to be fixed. YAY GOOGLE!
    It was mentioned earlier but, what I do is restore my "accounts/sync" with titanium backup.

Be sure to:

1. After backing up all apps and system data, then after flashing a new ROM on first boot, install titanium backup (pro or not) VIA APK
    4. Then use the market and music like normal without any need for autorizing a new device etc..
    Unfortunately, I don't think we're going to get a whole lot of sympathy from Google on this issue. After all, I don't really think they care about the 1% of us who flash custom ROMs to our devices. For the overwhelming majority of Android end users, this is a complete, total non-issue.

I just spoke to a google rep regarding this issue.
    I expressed my concern regarding the same device showing up multiple times. This happens working with aosp as well as flashing multiple custom roms...
    He immediately corrected the clone devices showing up and also offered to delete any other additional devices. then he "reset" my authorization list.

The rep told me they are working on the identifying so the devices don't show up repeatedly. If it goes by imei (which is the intention) then the limit of 4 devices a year is sufficient.

This still can be a problem for people doing reviews or testing/working with many new devices (aka Paul O'Brien) but the rep said that this can be taken care of very easily by contacting them.

Be sure to:

As rooted users we have additional options.

Stock users are going to get backdoored without vaseline.