[MOD] Nexus 7 720p Video Recording

Search This thread

antaine

Jan 29, 2011
Paris
So I just got 720p video recording working on my Nexus 7 and felt you guys should know about this too. It's a simple fix as it's not a limitation of hardware or a kernel function or anything, rather it's just Google didn't add the media profile for 720p to tell it how to use 720p.

What firmware does this need?

It doesn't matter. If you're on the original N7 firmware or the latest builds from Google, it still works just fine. I'm now on JOP40C and it works just fine. One update.zip fits all. I do suggest keeping your original file as a backup though as it plays up with OTA updates if you have this mod installed.

You don't need to install this if you are running a CM based firmware (CM10, etc) as I have pushed the patch to the CM repositories and it will be preloaded on your Nexus 7. And no, it's not them stealing credit, I pushed the patch to them.

Download Link/

Update.zip: http://d-h.st/8Cw

Glad to see you in an other forum (i'm from G3 forum too :) )
Nice work :)
Video are better than before for Skype ....
Thanks

Envoyé depuis mon Nexus 7 avec Tapatalk

ace-user

Feb 23, 2012
how do i backup my original files in case i want to use OTA update in the future?
all i need to do is just flash the update zip in the op right? do i need to wipe cache or dalvik cache too?
i'm a newbie so if someone could help me it would be great =D

Last edited:

hillbeast

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2011
Dunedin
how do i backup my original files in case i want to use OTA update in the future?
all i need to do is just flash the update zip in the op right? do i need to wipe cache or dalvik cache too?
i'm a newbie so if someone could help me it would be great =D

If you're using ClockworkMod or any custom recovery, do a backup using that. Wiping cache/dalvik is only needed if the camera app crashes.

angel.grin

Oct 15, 2012
Good day TS, can i use this mod on my phone? My phone only has 480p recording which is a rebadged karbonn a9+ which has the 720p option. thanks.

Sent from my S100 using xda app-developers app

abhishek_turbo911

Jan 7, 2011
I've edited the media_profiles manually. I'm rooted on the Stock ROM, and the Camera Launcher by Modaco takes video captures in 352x288 dimensions. Can you please suggest an App that I can use? CameraJB+ CRASHES when I press the video button.

hillbeast

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2011
Dunedin
I've edited the media_profiles manually. I'm rooted on the Stock ROM, and the Camera Launcher by Modaco takes video captures in 352x288 dimensions. Can you please suggest an App that I can use? CameraJB+ CRASHES when I press the video button.

If its not capturing right then the patch hasn't been applied correctly. The MoDaCo app is just a shortcut. You're actually using Googles Camera. You don't need to pay for a camera app.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

abhishek_turbo911

Jan 7, 2011
If its not capturing right then the patch hasn't been applied correctly. The MoDaCo app is just a shortcut. You're actually using Googles Camera. You don't need to pay for a camera app.

Thank you for your continued support, appreciated. :)

Please have a look at these media profiles screen capture and let me know if anything is wrong.

7Lp90.png

UyKY1.png

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I just got 720p video recording working on my Nexus 7 and felt you guys should know about this too. It's a simple fix as it's not a limitation of hardware or a kernel function or anything, rather it's just Google didn't add the media profile for 720p to tell it how to use 720p.

What firmware does this need?

It doesn't matter. If you're on the original N7 firmware or the latest builds from Google, it still works just fine. I'm now on JOP40C and it works just fine. One update.zip fits all. I do suggest keeping your original file as a backup though as it plays up with OTA updates if you have this mod installed.

You don't need to install this if you are running a CM based firmware (CM10, etc) as I have pushed the patch to the CM repositories and it will be preloaded on your Nexus 7. And no, it's not them stealing credit, I pushed the patch to them.

Download Link

Update.zip: http://d-h.st/8Cw

Video For Your Delectation

media_profiles.xml got updated with JOP40C. hillbeast will have to update the OP with new files. ;) :good:
    No need. Works fine. Tested it myself and it works fine with no negative ramifications.

Here is what changed between JZO54K and JOP40C. Just 3 lines with a higher min framerate for the video codecs. Nothing extreme I guess, but could improve the encoding quality just slightly.

Attached are recovery flashable zips of your patched xml altered to reflect the JOP40C changes, and the Undo to revert back to 4.2 stock. JOP40D, JDQ39, and JWR66V are still exactly the same as this.

Edit: All stock KitKat builds also still have the same codec file as JOP40D.

[ Attachments removed since all custom ROMs now contain these fixes ]
    I have paranoid rom installed and there is 720p recording and it works out of the box, is this same like that or this is maybe better.

The 720p recording in all the ROMs now is because I submitted this page to CM. Any CM ROM has this mod now.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Nexus 7 720p Camera Instructions - no PC needed (rooted users only)

So I just got 720p video recording working on my Nexus 7 and felt you guys should know about this too.

720p video picture

Here are my instructions to do this without using a PC(for rooted users):
    I used ES File Expolorer (nice program available in the play store)
    1- Open ES File Explorer and head to /system/etc/
    2- Find the file media_profiles.xml and copy it (long press the file and select copy from the menu)
    3- Go into any other directory and paste it there (temporarily)
    4- Go back to the /system/etc/ directory again and rename the media_profiles.xml to media_profiles.xml.old and save it (long press the file and select rename from the menu
    5- Now go back to the directory you copied the file to and long press it. When the menu comes up select cut and go to the /system/etc directory and hit paste up at the top
    6- Now just click on the file you just pasted and a list of editors will pop up.
    7- Select ES Note Editor (it comes with ES File Explorer) and locate the section in the file where it says
    Code:
        <EncoderProfile quality="480p" fileFormat="3gp" duration="30">
          <Video codec="h264"
                 bitRate="4000000"
                 width="640"
                 height="480"
                 frameRate="30" />

<Audio codec="aac"
                 bitRate="96000"
                 sampleRate="44100"
                 channels="1" />
        </EncoderProfile>

8- Add this code right after
    Code:
        <EncoderProfile quality="720p" fileFormat="3gp" duration="30">
          <Video codec="h264"
                 bitRate="16000000"
                 width="1280"
                 height="720"
                 frameRate="30" />

<Audio codec="aac"
                 bitRate="128000"
                 sampleRate="48000"
                 channels="1" />
        </EncoderProfile>
    9- Once added click the back button on the bottom and a menu will show up on the bottom that asks you to save click that.
    10- Long press the file you just saved and select Properties at the bottom and make sure you give it the correct permissions (rw-r--r-- or chmod 644) by clicking the change button. There should be 4 check marks on that screen User read, User write, Group read, Other read. Click ok and ok again to save it.
    11- Reboot and enjoy.
    Don't thank me for this - thank hillbeast. If my instructions helped you then thank me too. Lol.

Thanks hillbeast - I also noticed that you cannot take a screenshot while in the camera program - gives you a sd card storage in use error. So I took this with my SGS2.
    hey hillbeast, post this one, I credited you in the updater-script
    goo.im- http://tinyw.in/udKH
    or from dev-host-http://d-h.st/hmD