[Q] Common Droid 4 Problems

Search This thread

Dakkaron

Jan 13, 2013
I currently have a Droid 3 and due to its many problems (random reboots, stuck with a black screen, keys not working properly) I am looking into replacing it. Since I want a phone with a physical keyboard I don't have much to choose from, so I am also looking at the Droid 4, especially because you can get them for ~€100 on Ebay now.
So my question is: are there any common problems like the ones I have on the Droid 3 also on the Droid 4?

Die Bruine

Jan 2, 2008
Just one, the speaker sometimes stops working. I've repaired several (as easy as bend some metal pins of insert a piece of paper to use as a shim).

No problems worth mentioning other than that.

You should also consider the Photon Q 4G LTE. It's faster/snappier.

moongdss

Jul 7, 2012
Baltimore
I currently have a Droid 3 and due to its many problems (random reboots, stuck with a black screen, keys not working properly) I am looking into replacing it. Since I want a phone with a physical keyboard I don't have much to choose from, so I am also looking at the Droid 4, especially because you can get them for ~€100 on Ebay now.
So my question is: are there any common problems like the ones I have on the Droid 3 also on the Droid 4?

I'm having the speaker issue... since I don't really talk on the phone much, I've been living with it. Now it's gotten to the point where I can barely hear thru it at all. I sent off for a replacement ($7 or so on amazon). I'm just about to replace it, but I'm having some crazy GPS issues. Like two map programs showed my off the coast of Ghana the other day. My husband's Droid Razr GPS finds him just fine sitting right next to me, on the same carrier.

I'm not finding anyone else with this issue, so it could be a fluke. I'm running some diagnostics now. Not quite sure if this is a deal-breaker yet. I really do love having a keyboard. I'd hate to go back to Blackberry :eek: For reference: I've had the Droid 4 for almost 2 years now and it's held up well. I rooted it almost right away and let it update to ICS. I have not updated to JB (there were keyboard issues back then with JB... it could be fixed now, but I just like ICS too much to bother lol)

Dakkaron

Jan 13, 2013
I want to use the phone in Europe so the Photon Q would be a bit more work (it has a soldered-in SIM-card which needs to replaced by a SIM-holder).
I am also looking at the Samsung Stratosphere II and the Galaxy S Relay.

So no random reboots or lockups? That sounds great.

I just want to make sure since I won't be able to use any warranty for an US-phone in Europe. Sadly there are no half-decent Androids with a keyboard in Europe. The best there is is the S4 with the keyboard-attachment, but that combo is so incredibly thick...

Die Bruine

Jan 2, 2008
In a house hold of four I also had four Droids. Except the speaker problem I never had any issues. Yeah sure an occasional reboot. But that's it. I still have Droid 4 as backup phone in case one of the Photon dies. But that will also be replaced by a spare Photon as soon as possible.