[Q] Any tips/guides around for someone who wants to make a rom from scatch?

Search This thread

E-13

Mar 25, 2014
And what I mean, no android kitchen and those kind of tools. Simple from the start where you are forced to do all the work yourself.

(I have to much free time) :p

Trozzul

Jun 21, 2012
Seattle
Ah, thank you. I will look into that.

Small problem I (probarly) have. I also have a mediatek phone (main phone) and I heard there are a few problems when you want to make roms for those. It was due to lack of released source or something?

that is true, the kernel of mediatek has problems with Cyanogenmod so its a little hard. mediatek kinda sucks to develop for.

E-13

Mar 25, 2014
that i wouldnt know where to get information on, im sure there are tools for this, make a backup and unzip it and see what you can do from there, of course you can flash a backup but its a start.

I was able to extract the boot.img,recovery.img and the META-INF map. If I am right, I didnt miss anything else thats important. Right?

E-13

Mar 25, 2014
Hmm I'm pretty sure there should be a few more things, go to CyanogenMod and download a random file for whatever phone and check out those files. Make sure its a stable and not nightlie

I got one from the.. eh.. HTC one.

The main files (and I looked around already) are:

META-INF
system
boot.img

Thats it. And inside system there are the "standard" folders and build.prop.

I got this already tough.

-Now a small thing, this is a mediatek device, And from what I see/understood a pain in the everything to make roms for this.
I did find this about: http://sourceforge.net/projects/alcatel/files/
A huge file ;p. It seemed to be files about the kernel. The files:

boinic
external
kernel
mediatek
system

With a line I found in a readme in mediatek/kernel:
The "mediatek/kernel/" directory is intended for Mediatek solution kernel specific non-customization codes.

Anyway, back to the point. I got system, boot.img and Meta-inf
I think I got everything ready :)

Trozzul

Jun 21, 2012
Seattle
I got one from the.. eh.. HTC one.

The main files (and I looked around already) are:

META-INF
system
boot.img

Thats it. And inside system there are the "standard" folders and build.prop.

I got this already tough.

-Now a small thing, this is a mediatek device, And from what I see/understood a pain in the everything to make roms for this.
I did find this about: http://sourceforge.net/projects/alcatel/files/
A huge file ;p. It seemed to be files about the kernel. The files:

boinic
external
kernel
mediatek
system

With a line I found in a readme in mediatek/kernel:
The "mediatek/kernel/" directory is intended for Mediatek solution kernel specific non-customization codes.

Anyway, back to the point. I got system, boot.img and Meta-inf
I think I got everything ready :)

Looks like you do, I must have been thinking about something inside meta inf that let's you change all the icons

E-13

Mar 25, 2014
Looks like you do, I must have been thinking about something inside meta inf that let's you change all the icons

*cheers* But I dont really get this part. (probarly for advanced peeps) Why is it so hard to make roms for mediatek. I get they dont release the source code/code you guys need for that. But where is the code for you so badly need for that.

Trozzul

Jun 21, 2012
Seattle
*cheers* But I dont really get this part. (probarly for advanced peeps) Why is it so hard to make roms for mediatek. I get they dont release the source code/code you guys need for that. But where is the code for you so badly need for that.
I don't know :( whoever owns mediatek has the codes obviously. Mediatek CPUs are terrible anyway so I'm sure nobody will leak the codes

E-13

Mar 25, 2014
Well, not that terrible to be honest. Mine works pretty good. (am just kinda fed up with alcatel ;p) And alot of people have devices running on mediatek cpu's. Just someone needs to put real good effort into it. (and hope he doesnt get into problems for it xD)

Trozzul

Jun 21, 2012
Seattle
Well, not that terrible to be honest. Mine works pretty good. (am just kinda fed up with alcatel ;p) And alot of people have devices running on mediatek cpu's. Just someone needs to put real good effort into it. (and hope he doesnt get into problems for it xD)

Well i wish you good luck, and if you get to somehow release a rom please be sure to hit me up on it :D what Alcatel device do you have by the way? if you do get a new device in the future that has Cyanogenmod support what i recommend you should do is download the latest stable and just theme that all you want (im sure you know how to move apks to make them SYSTEM apps), and when you think your ready from building it from source jump right in.

E-13

Mar 25, 2014
Well i wish you good luck, and if you get to somehow release a rom please be sure to hit me up on it :D what Alcatel device do you have by the way? if you do get a new device in the future that has Cyanogenmod support what i recommend you should do is download the latest stable and just theme that all you want (im sure you know how to move apks to make them SYSTEM apps), and when you think your ready from building it from source jump right in.
Haha. Thank you I have a Alcatel One Touch Scribe HD. (8008D) Supported by nothing! (expect framaroot :D)

Now time to abuse my phone and hopefully not turn it into a paperweight.

Top Liked Posts