[Q] Some system apps not working after resolution change

Search This thread

GroovyGeek

Oct 11, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
This is for the D850 AT&T G3. I used Nomone to set resolution to 1080x1920 @ 480 dpi and observe two weird things:

1) Everything but the dock rescales correctly. This persists even after reboot and only happens in the stock launcher, Nova is OK

2) Several of the stock apps no loger work, and their icons change to generic Androids: calculator, calendar, clockemail, file manager, gallery, messaging, quick remote, tasks, voice command. Any attempt to launch these apps results in a FC. This happens both in the stock launcher and Nova, so I am guessing that they do not rescale correctly at the lower res.

Not a great loss, I would not be using most of these anyway, just curious if there is a workaround. I do not plan on running the monitor at more than 1080x1920. The only thing I will probably miss is the stock email app, I was planning on using that to access office mail via Exchange.

EDIT: Unfortunately it appears that I cannot set up an Exchange account with the lower res, on account of the stock app crashing instantly. This is a complete deal breaker for me, I absolutely need exchange and will need to run at full rez. Bummer, with the bootloader locked I probably can't downfreq the phone either to extend battery life.

EDIT2: You can work around every non-functioning LG app by sideloading the corresponding Kitkat stock app. Unfortunately the one exception to this is Email + Exchange, which is badly broken on stock Kitkat and Google has not bothered to fix it for many months now. For those of us that need Exchange for work this tends to be a deal-breaker issue

EDIT3: As others have noted, Swiftkey does not seem to play well with Nomone either

EDIT4: Nova is also exhbiting some minor issues, with our without Nomone. It does not break too many things, and the things it does break are mostly cosmetic - the icons of the above-mentioned apps turn generic, and the first group of Google apps in the drawer disappeears.

Last edited:
I changed the resolution, rebooted and got an android systemui fc loop that I couldn't get out of. had to factory reset :(
I then tried it again on a fresh device but wihtout rebooting this time. and like you said, a lot of things are not right...

so I'd say this is generally not recommendable
best bet might be paranoid android or something whenever that becomes possible

I agree, the display is draining the batt too quickly and I doubt underclocking the cpu is going to be of much help

FordT

With the changed resolution I'll assume that you're rooted. You could use XPosed with the "App Settings" Module to change the DPI for the crashing system apps back to 640. I did this, and it works nicely. It is a bit of try and error in the beginning, but once you caught all apps you use it looks great.

This will probably not solve the icons issue, which is caused by LG not including the icons for other resolutions than what they recommend for the G3. They are available for xxxhdpi (640), but not for xxhdpi (480).

With the changed resolution I'll assume that you're rooted. You could use XPosed with the "App Settings" Module to change the DPI for the crashing system apps back to 640. I did this, and it works nicely. It is a bit of try and error in the beginning, but once you caught all apps you use it looks great.

This will probably not solve the icons issue, which is caused by LG not including the icons for other resolutions than what they recommend for the G3. They are available for xxxhdpi (640), but not for xxhdpi (480).

I'm running 530 without issues sofar. Would love to be able to go a bit lower though.

GroovyGeek

Oct 11, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Thanks for the tips and replies, many of them quite useful. Running 530dpi with 1080x1920 is, IMO, kinda pointless, as it negates the benefits if the large screen., If we need to stick about 530 dpi (which seems to work nicely) the lowest settings that make sense are 1224x2176 with 544 dpi setting. This scales everything down by 25% from full resolution. With these settings I don't see the screen get notably warm and the icon and text proportions still make sense. With 1080x1920 @ 530 dpi things don't make any sense, it feels like you are using a 3" screen with high magnification.

So far there are only three things I have been unable to get working
1) Nova launcher to correctly display the custom icons for the above apps. Apex works fine so I have switched from Nova to Apex.
2) Swiftkey - it just gets mangled badly. I will try the "per app" setting in xPosed, but I can't see how it will help.
3) Kitkat stock email.apk with Exchange. This is a long-standing KitKat issue that Google has not bothered to fix. The LG mail works fine with Exchange but does not thread. Any good alternatives?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Did you try changing the dpi from 480 to 530? Anything less than 500 dpi seems to force close most apps.. Change it to 530 dpi and hopefully most things should run ok