Bluetooth Car Stereo - JVC KDX50BT

Search This thread

stinkbud

Jul 7, 2008
Aganar;I put25130698 said:
I'm tempted to bite, but I've got a Camry with some internal controls on the steering wheel for the built-in stereo that I'm afraid I'd lose if I switched to a third-party.

Plus I know **** about cars, so I'd probably have to pay someone to install it.

I installed one of these in my wife's car a few weeks ago. It does have a wire lead for external controllers like in a steering wheel. Preparing the mounting harness was as easy as matching colored wires and crimping them together. No soldering at all. The Crutchfield instructions were simple enough but there are always things that go wrong, i actually had to take it all apart twice because of stupid omissions on my part...I left the plastic frame on the face so my dash wouldn't fit over it, then when I had the whole thing finished, i realized i forgot to plug in the antenna.

Bottom line, it should work with your steering wheel controller and its relatively easy to install if you read the instructions and follow them carefully.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

SDC_Bolts

Jan 21, 2009
FYI
AOKP B33 for Galaxy Nexus (toro), Android 4.0.4 Rom works awesome now with ID3 tags. Not sure what Romanb changed, but for the first time I have tags displaying on my stereo.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: latinmaxima

sinxjae

Apr 21, 2012
San Jose
sinxjae.tumblr.com
I've always loves the sound manipulation capabilities of the JVC head units. I have gone through so many decks and JVC has been my best experience not just for bluetooth connectivity, but mainly for the ability to control your range of sound easily through the unit itself. Right now I'm running a Kenwood BT868 and I'm not really happy with the sound output that this deck has. I'm going to try your suggestion, but i'm going to look at some of their other decks in a slightly higher price range.

chrlswltrs

Aug 24, 2010
Seattle
I think I am going to be getting one of these. I would much rather do Bluetooth streaming than plug into an aux port. Looks like exactly what I am looking for.

I really don't even care about a mic or phone calls since my jeep really is too noisy anyways, I just want the streaming audio.

Sent from my CM9 E4GT using Tapatalk 2

urinsane

Feb 28, 2006
Maui
I think I am going to be getting one of these. I would much rather do Bluetooth streaming than plug into an aux port. Looks like exactly what I am looking for.

I really don't even care about a mic or phone calls since my jeep really is too noisy anyways, I just want the streaming audio.

Yeah, I have a jeep wrangler and calls don't work too well. It can get the job done, but the other party definitely knows I am on the road. But really, even Bluetooth headsets have trouble, so I don't mind.

MrDowntown12

May 22, 2010
OnePlus 7 Pro
Sony Xperia 1 III
Been following this thread since its beginning since I too have a jvc Bluetooth stereo and I have a question for you guys...

Do you guys notice a difference in streaming quality between GB and ICS? For me GB is really fuzzy and not clear but ICS works like a dream. Even via auxiliary GB is spotty. Just something I noticed. Forces me to use an ICS ROM but I'm not complaining.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA

chrlswltrs

Aug 24, 2010
Seattle
I'm running CM9 alpha 3 now and the id tags are working on the cm9 music app, not Play music.

sent from my Epic Touch

Just curious, do you know if they work with Slacker Radio? That is the same ROM I'm on and Slacker and Play music is all I listen to.

I'm still getting one either way, would just be nice to know

K.AuthoR

Nov 30, 2008
There's a Best Buy near me that's about to close down.... might be time to scoop one of these up ;)

chrlswltrs

Aug 24, 2010
Seattle
Bought it at bestbuy today (I had reward certificates to use) and I got it installed. It actually does sound better over Bluetooth than my previous JVC that I replaced using the aux port!

K.AuthoR

Nov 30, 2008
I went and picked one of these up today, holy balls, best purchase I've made in awhile. Super cheap, pretty easy installation, good stuff. I do have questions for anyone of you who's using this though.

What software version did yours come with? Mine says "USB 0201." Wondering if there's anything more up to date.

When I'm using Google Music, and I receive a text message / notification of any kind, my phone plays it through its speaker and then it echoes through the car audio. That's pretty ****ing annoying sometimes, and disabling the option of "msg notification" in the stereo's menu doesn't change it (I guess because it's on Android's end, not the stereo's). Anybody got a workaround for that?

chrlswltrs

Aug 24, 2010
Seattle
I went and picked one of these up today, holy balls, best purchase I've made in awhile. Super cheap, pretty easy installation, good stuff. I do have questions for anyone of you who's using this though.

What software version did yours come with? Mine says "USB 0201." Wondering if there's anything more up to date.

When I'm using Google Music, and I receive a text message / notification of any kind, my phone plays it through its speaker and then it echoes through the car audio. That's pretty ****ing annoying sometimes, and disabling the option of "msg notification" in the stereo's menu doesn't change it (I guess because it's on Android's end, not the stereo's). Anybody got a workaround for that?

I don't know about a software update, but mine does the same thing. And, I agree, this thing is an awesome purchase for the price.

K.AuthoR

Nov 30, 2008

chrlswltrs

Aug 24, 2010
Seattle

chrlswltrs

Aug 24, 2010
Seattle
I just did the software update, really quick and easy to do. I'll report back if I notice any changes.

BTW, has anyone found a way to display the time when streaming over Bluetooth? That is the only thing that bugs me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Though I would post this for anyone looking for bluetooth car options. I've been using this deck for the past week and love it. For years I used FM Transmitters, but after breaking/losing/etc several and not loving the sound quality, I bought a deck with auxillary input. That was fine, but still wires everywhere (especially when charging).

I purchased and installed the JVC KDX50BT. It is their entry level bluetooth deck, and does not have a CD player. Thats fine for me. I drive a Jeep and the CD players always end up getting dust inside and stop working after a few years (and I never use them). I ordered from Crutchfield for $100 shipped: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDX50BT/JVC-KD-X50BT.html?tp=5684

In short, I love it. The bluetooth streaming audio sounds great, and although its hard to do an A/B comparison, I believe it is better quality than the old deck with auxillary in. Bass seems to not distort at higher volumes as much as the auxillary in. This would make sense if the stereo itself is doing the digital processing. It also shows the current song information. This is "BT Audio" mode, and will basically stream whatever audio you are currently playing from any app.

It also has Pandora capabilities. This is called "BT Pandora" mode and it will display your current station info. Even better, you can thumbs up or thumbs down a track from the deck itself. When you do this, the Pandora app recognizes this and displays a screen that does not allow user input from the phone. It is kind of annoying as I plan to put in a car mount and wouldn't mind being able to see the album art. On the other hand, I have put in about 3 hours of listening so far (off and on) and haven't had a commercial yet, so I'm not complaining too much! I was going to upgrade Pandora but now I may not need to.

There is also an external microphone you can mount anywhere in your car to use for calls. I haven't used it much but initial reports from my friends are that sound quality for the other party is good.

It isn't completely bug free with my Epic Touch (Running Mijj's Blend ICS right now). Sometimes it will switch over to the Pandora mode in the middle of a song without me telling it to. This is annoying, but it is quick to switch from Pandora mode. It doesn't always display the current song information correctly in BT audio mode, but most of the songs I'm streaming from my phone I don't need to know the title. It does not show song info from Spotify. It also will not display info from my podcast player (beyondpod) but I don't really care about that. The stock music apps seem to work best for song info.

I am guessing many of these issues are with the Bluetooth protocol and the way our phones handle it. It could also be the fact I am using a custom ROM rather than stock. All issues are minor annoyances.

Other pros:
    -You can change the colors of the display to pretty much anything you want, and have different schemes for night and day.
    -Easy to pair.
    -Two USB inputs (front and rear) but if you are using bluetooth, one of these will be taken up by the JVC USB Bluetooth adapter.
    -USB inputs are 1.0mA rather than the standard 0.5mA for faster charging. (I still use my car charger as it is positioned better for my needs)
    -Radio does seem to have great reception; finding quite a few more stations that my old deck.

Other cons:
    -Radio station presets awkward to use... you have to "scroll" through them rather than just hitting button 1-6. I've been playing with the bluetooth too much to really get used to it.

Meh:
    -I also have a set of bluetooth headphones. If I am listening to the headphones and get into the Jeep, I have to either turn off the headphones before turning on the stereo, or manually connect in the bluetooth settings menu. As far as I know this is a bluetooth limitation and not the fault of the deck. It would be sweet to have it transfer automatically to the new source when it finds it, but not sure this is possible regardless of the setup.
    -There is a JVC app that allows some touch based controls on your phone. I haven't used it much but it does seem to work OK.

All of that aside, the real reason I bought it was for the ease of getting into my Jeep with my phone in my pocket, having the phone automatically connect and begin streaming high quality audio to the stereo within about 30 seconds of the car starting (it takes a moment for the phone to connect). On short drives the phone doesn't even leave my pocket. So far, I couldn't be any happier with the results I am getting, especially for $100.

................And I just found the following deal that gets it down to $81 shipped. That sucks for me, but even at $100 it is a steal!
    http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/698...AQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNE28H5hsYS9gz484lxxo97Nukzipw
    Came here to find out if USB hub would work and thought I'd share.

Purchased one of these from Crutchfield a few months ago and couldn't be happier.
    First of all, got for $80 total with all the installation stuff. It was $120, but then used the $20 off promo code. And for anyone with a Discover card, you can use your cashback to get $100 Crutchfield gift card for $80.

Bluetooth works fine for me. A few startup connection issues on occasion, but turning BT off/on on the phone fixes that.
    I went the way of a USB hub also to keep my front port open. Got a Belkin 4-port hub from Amazon for $5. Haven't tried multiple USB drives, but it works fine with a 32gb and the BT module connected.

The Pandora integration is very cool. I love being able to thumbs up/down songs from the unit.
    Google Music works well and depending on your rom displays the ID tags.
    The dash menu is klunky, but it's standard issue for aftermarket radios like this.
    The JVC app is junk. I was hoping it would allow for better scrolling through the usb mp3s, but all it does is mimic the basic remote functions (play, pause, skip, mute, etc.) with touch gesture control.

Did the install myself. Never installed an aftermarket before. It wasn't the hardest thing, but it wasn't the easiest either. Took me about 3+ hours, mainly just double checking stuff. If I did another one, I bet it would take half as long. The Crutchfield directions helped once I got my bearings, but they weren't the most detailed for a rookie.

Very nice unit considering the features and the price.
    I don't know about a software update, but mine does the same thing. And, I agree, this thing is an awesome purchase for the price.

Are you using Google Music? I'm going to try different apps tomorrow and see if any make a difference in that regard.

and I actually did find a software update, http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/car/support/navi/r50/unit_soft_download.html
    I also have a newer JVC deck, same controls as the OP talks about. Mine does have the CD player though. I would like to know what music app ever displays ID3 Tag info. I have never had luck with it other than Pandora.

Edit: JVC deck is a KDA735BT. Love the deck, works well with BT and Pandora. Would love to get ID3 Tags to pass through, perferably from Google Music but would be interested in any music player that has worked in this situation for someone. CDMA Galaxy Nexus.

Hmmm, this is strange. Google Music shows the ID3 tags for me. I have noticed a handful of times that it does not update after a track change, but I'd say less than 10% of the time. I'm using an ICS based rom on my epic touch.

Have you tried using the JVC app? I don't use it but it might be worth a shot.

Edit: I just ordered a GSM Galaxy Nexus and will be switching over to prepaid, so I'll let you know if it works with that phone.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium
    Nice find. I was just looking at a Sony Deck earlier that does the pandora control. It's a bit more expensive but also lacks a CD Player and has an OLED Screen or whatever.

I have a Sony now and it uses the same wiring harness so would be a quick install for me and I've always loved my one I had now.

The BT Streaming and Pandora Control are what i'm after though.