For Those Who Semi-Bricked Their Nexus 7 0MB Interal Storage

Search This thread

jporter396

Oct 29, 2012
Hopefully this helps people in my situation.

So on the first day of having my nexus 7 i found a way to have no OS and 0MB internal storage showing in TWRP. Yah i suck.
I tried tons of things but knew a system image was needed.

HOW: I was about to flash the superuser root for 4.3 newly released and forgot to put it on nexus so i then proceeded to exit TWRP, however upon exiting TWRP the recovery detected i havent installed supersu and asked do i want to install superuser? I though why the hell not!
I confirmed to install superuser and then tried to reboot but for 20 minutes device could not boot. TWRP showed 0MB internal storage and pushing adb files in this state yielded nothing as there was no directory

This is how i managed to have a working tablet again

1. FORMAT DATA in TWRP - after doing this your internal storage should be back and not show 0MB

2. reboot to the bootloader

3. On your computer download this file kindly given to us by phuduong and uploaded by Nburnes

https://mega.co.nz/#!PBIiEbBJ!bKpdHxegOVlde12nsu_ulEyRq7UsANLLQab1IZjLIGc
Credit to Nburnes http://xdaforums.com/member.php?u=2918596[/QUOTE]

4. Once downloaded move that system.img file to your adb directory

5. With you nexus 7 in the bootloader, adb open, and file downloaded copy and paste this command into adb terminal

fastboot flash system system.img

6. Now you have an OS but it still would loop and wouldnt start

7. Boot into recovery and Format Data again, because for me 0MB interal storage was back again

8. Then Factory Reset

FINALLY YOUR DEVICE SHOULD BE BACK TO ITS ORIGINAL STATE!!!!!

Last edited:

phonic

May 30, 2008
Florida
Is that the factory image? Have you tried going from unlocked bootloader & rooted back to factory using that image?

Google has yet to release the official factory image for the new N7. However, a kind user was gracious enough to make their own. It is likely to be almost identical to what Google will eventually release and should work the same way.

petersellers

Jul 27, 2013
I tried running through this, but it didn't work for me. I think my situation is different though because I tried to install a factory image for the 2012 nexus, and during part of that process I ran the "flash-all" script which starts by deleting boot, cache, recovery, userdata, and system.

I think deleting boot screwed me up, because even though I can go into recovery now after reinstalling twrp and I can restore my system using system.img, I still can't boot (get stuck on the google logo). Any way to fix that?

jporter396

Oct 29, 2012
I tried running through this, but it didn't work for me. I think my situation is different though because I tried to install a factory image for the 2012 nexus, and during part of that process I ran the "flash-all" script which starts by deleting boot, cache, recovery, userdata, and system.

I think deleting boot screwed me up, because even though I can go into recovery now after reinstalling twrp and I can restore my system using system.img, I still can't boot (get stuck on the google logo). Any way to fix that?

So you first tried to restore the OLD nexus 7 factory image? Probably gonna have to wait for factory image or exchange yours

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:
THANK YOU!!!

This worked perfectly! I had a wiped system folder (no ROM), and obviously no USB debugging enabled. And with the lack of a factory image, I've been counting seconds to seeing somebody post this!

Just follow the instructions carefully. Thank you guys! :)

dexgen

Mar 7, 2011
I did this and now it seems my device is booting and it shows up as N7 when I attach it to my PC. But the display shows nothing at all. It just goes blank after the Google screen. Any ideas?

After flashing everything I could think of and banging my head and the device against the wall for two hours, I finally got it to work. Not sure how exactly but the last thing I did was reflashing bootloader. So if anyone has the same problem, try that.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

So on the first day of having my nexus 7 i found a way to have no OS and 0MB internal storage showing in TWRP. Yah i suck.

HOW: I was about to flash the superuser root for 4.3 newly released and forgot to put it on nexus so i then proceeded to exit TWRP, however upon exiting TWRP the recovery detected i havent installed supersu and asked do i want to install superuser? I though why the hell not!
    I confirmed to install superuser and then tried to reboot but for 20 minutes device could not boot. TWRP showed 0MB internal storage and pushing adb files in this state yielded nothing as there was no directory

1. FORMAT DATA in TWRP - after doing this your internal storage should be back and not show 0MB

3. On your computer download this file kindly given to us by phuduong and uploaded by Nburnes

Credit to Nburnes http://xdaforums.com/member.php?u=2918596[/QUOTE]

5. With you nexus 7 in the bootloader, adb open, and file downloaded copy and paste this command into adb terminal

7. Boot into recovery and Format Data again, because for me 0MB interal storage was back again

8. Then Factory Reset

FINALLY YOUR DEVICE SHOULD BE BACK TO ITS ORIGINAL STATE!!!!!
    I just formatted data and after that rebooted the system. It booted up fine. Didn't have to follow any of these steps except the format data first step. Just an FYI for those of you that may want to try it.
    Try this fastboot command
    fastboot -w
    It should erase all of the user data partitions and creates new ones instead. It should fix your problem.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    All main JSS15J .IMGS here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2381438

Glad this helped some of you guys!
    C'mon... Please explain each step as you are talking to a first timer...

Credit to Nburnes http://xdaforums.com/member.php?u=2918596

8. Then Factory Reset

FINALLY YOUR DEVICE SHOULD BE BACK TO ITS ORIGINAL STATE!!!!![/QUOTE]

First, I was already stumped on the first step. I didn't even know how to get back on TWRP. I just figured it out. But can you please assume that readers may not know anything and not skip a step? I am not quite sure what you mean by adb directory. Is that an adb folder in Nexus? because my device once recognized by my computer as Nexus 7 is (while it is still recognized as nexus 7) categorized as "Unspecified" on Devices and Printers and thus not able to open any folders inside of Nexus 7. In fact, when I went back to recovery mode on Nexus, I found that the whole device was empty. And this was after unlocking steps were properly followed and I did not run into any problem while doing so.