Changed data folder permissions, bricked?

Search This thread

Brent212

Mar 22, 2008
I stupidly removed the "all" read+execute permissions from the /data folder (phone's rooted), and now I'm getting flooded with countless pop up error dialogs saying "Unfortunately, <APP_NAME> has stopped". There's no way to close the dialogs fast enough to do anything on the phone. I'm worried if I restart it, it'll be completely bricked and won't start. Is there a way I can remotely fix the the permissions from my PC? I tried connecting the phone and running "adb shell", but get "device not found". I never set up any sort of adb server on the phone, and don't even have USB debug mode enabled (it's a fairly new galaxy s5, haven't even seen that option yet) so I'm guessing there's no way to do this.

Can I restart it in some sort of safe mode? Help, please. Thanks.

rs tony

Feb 15, 2014
Joroinen
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I stupidly removed the "all" read+execute permissions from the /data folder (phone's rooted), and now I'm getting flooded with countless pop up error dialogs saying "Unfortunately, <APP_NAME> has stopped". There's no way to close the dialogs fast enough to do anything on the phone. I'm worried if I restart it, it'll be completely bricked and won't start. Is there a way I can remotely fix the the permissions from my PC? I tried connecting the phone and running "adb shell", but get "device not found". I never set up any sort of adb server on the phone, and don't even have USB debug mode enabled (it's a fairly new galaxy s5, haven't even seen that option yet) so I'm guessing there's no way to do this.

Can I restart it in some sort of safe mode? Help, please. Thanks.

I don't know but u can try in cwm/twrp "fix permissions" option, but good if ur phone works now :)