Open letter to Huawei about releasing the kernelsource for KK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

raolleel

Nov 19, 2008
Wuppertal
Hello,

while searching through the web I've found a pretty interesting letter, about releasing the ICS-Kernel-source for the HTC Desire S.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1767801

In this letter the community tried to get HTC to release their sourcecode, and finally they won and HTC did release it's source.

In my opinion we should try to make our own letter and send this to Huawei, maybee KanocX allows us to modify their letter and send this to Huawei.

Edit: I have asked KanocX and he gave me permission to use his letter as base.

Dear Huawei,

We appreciate the good quality, look and feel and the design of the Huawei Ascend P6. That’s why our developers have created many ROMs for the phone.
But without the Kit Kat Kernel source code, we are not able to take advantage of all the functions, which need to be implemented to the Kernel.

It’s been a long time since the official Kit Kat was released. Yet the huawei.com website has still not been updated with the kernel source. Also the last firmware source code was in August 2013.

Android is an open-platform and is based on the GNU/Linux Kernel. The Linux kernel is licensed under GNU General Public License v2 or GPL (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html), which means that you are legally obligated to release the source code for any derivative work within a reasonable time frame. This code is free software (free as in free speech) and this means that it is developed by volunteers around the world. They do not wish to earn money with this code, only that it spreads the great idea of freedom and free software. We want to make the software as good as possible and improve what you have currently done.

Developers are working hard to bring new ROMs and continue support to your devices, which many of your customers are eager to use
By releasing the kernel source code you can improve our experiences with the device and with Huawei as a company. The very openness of Android is intended to draw many people and by withholding kernel source code you are ultimately alienating your customers who may move on to purchase devices made by a different company (e.g. a Google Nexus device with pure and newest Android).

Furthermore we know that we can and will lose the phone’s warranty by installing unofficial phone updates, but we, the developers, know what we are doing with the device, so it doesn’t restrict the usage of the phone nor does it affect Huawei in any way.

We are aware that this device is from a previous hardware generation and we are grateful that you are continuing to support it, but we would all be happy if your continued support is not only directed at your customers, but also as required by copyright law.

Please do the right thing and release the Huawei Ascend P6 Android 4.4 kernel source. Thank you.

Sincerely yours, The xda-developers community.

This letter was written and is signed by the xda-developers community.

Please give me review on this letter and contribute to this, so that we will have a really good letter, which we can send to Huawei.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

while searching through the web I've found a pretty interesting letter, about releasing the ICS-Kernel-source for the HTC Desire S.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1767801

In this letter the community tried to get HTC to release their sourcecode, and finally they won and HTC did release it's source.

In my opinion we should try to make our own letter and send this to Huawei, maybee KanocX allows us to modify their letter and send this to Huawei.

Edit: I have asked KanocX and he gave me permission to use his letter as base.

Dear Huawei,

We appreciate the good quality, look and feel and the design of the Huawei Ascend P6. That’s why our developers have created many ROMs for the phone.
    But without the Kit Kat Kernel source code, we are not able to take advantage of all the functions, which need to be implemented to the Kernel.

It’s been a long time since the official Kit Kat was released. Yet the huawei.com website has still not been updated with the kernel source. Also the last firmware source code was in August 2013.

Android is an open-platform and is based on the GNU/Linux Kernel. The Linux kernel is licensed under GNU General Public License v2 or GPL (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html), which means that you are legally obligated to release the source code for any derivative work within a reasonable time frame. This code is free software (free as in free speech) and this means that it is developed by volunteers around the world. They do not wish to earn money with this code, only that it spreads the great idea of freedom and free software. We want to make the software as good as possible and improve what you have currently done.

Developers are working hard to bring new ROMs and continue support to your devices, which many of your customers are eager to use
    By releasing the kernel source code you can improve our experiences with the device and with Huawei as a company. The very openness of Android is intended to draw many people and by withholding kernel source code you are ultimately alienating your customers who may move on to purchase devices made by a different company (e.g. a Google Nexus device with pure and newest Android).

Furthermore we know that we can and will lose the phone’s warranty by installing unofficial phone updates, but we, the developers, know what we are doing with the device, so it doesn’t restrict the usage of the phone nor does it affect Huawei in any way.

We are aware that this device is from a previous hardware generation and we are grateful that you are continuing to support it, but we would all be happy if your continued support is not only directed at your customers, but also as required by copyright law.

Please do the right thing and release the Huawei Ascend P6 Android 4.4 kernel source. Thank you.

Sincerely yours, The xda-developers community.

This letter was written and is signed by the xda-developers community.

Please give me review on this letter and contribute to this, so that we will have a really good letter, which we can send to Huawei.
    Shutting this, and asking all to go here...http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2711870