[Q] Repair problems: strange Android version installed

Search This thread

nuclearmonkeyuk

Mar 3, 2011
Coventry
Why would they send out a phone you need to flash yourself? Or is that just a **** up on the repair centres part?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

kevinivek

Jan 20, 2013
Houston
I finally found it! It isn't just me....lol!

Just wanted to share that I've been dealing with the same problem after receiving repair services by LG Wireless (DFW, TX)! It took me all day to find this thread, BUT I'M SO GLAD I DID!. It's mostly my fault after hours and hours of multiple attempts to solve the issues myself (APN setting changes; calling Google CS, calling/chatting with LG; reboots, factory resets, debugging). Nothing has worked....so I'm definitely going to try the method suggested in this forum to get the Nexus 4 back up and running properly. I've attached a few photos of my issues and a video link of the boot animation that LG had installed::

Cannot update/sync apps with Play Store

Nexus 4 boots in "Safe Mode" and then "FTM Mode"

Apps downloaded by LG Repairers remained on my device

No longer connecting to Wi-Fi

Odd/Foreign Build Number

Nexus 4 Reboot Animation:
Just wanted to share that I've been dealing with the same problem after receiving repair services by LG Wireless (Fort Worth, TX)! It took me all day to find this thread, BUT I'M SO GLAD I DID!. It's mostly my fault after hours and hours of multiple attempts to solve the issues myself (APN setting changes; calling Google CS, calling/chatting with LG; reboots, factory resets, debugging). Nothing has worked....so I'm definitely going to try the method suggested in this forum to get the Nexus 4 back up and running properly. I've attached a few photos of my issues and a video link of the boot animation that LG had installed::

1. Cannot update/sync apps with Play Store
  2. Nexus 4 boots in "Safe Mode" and then "FTM Mode"
  3. Apps downloaded by LG Repairers remained on my device
  4. No longer connecting to Wi-Fi
  5. Odd/Foreign Build Number
  6. Nexus 4 Reboot Animation Link

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-01-19-23-52-32.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-19-23-52-32.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 314
  • Screenshot_2013-01-20-01-55-29.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-20-01-55-29.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 311
  • Screenshot_2013-01-20-01-57-07.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-20-01-57-07.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 315

rr5678

Dec 25, 2009
I made a flashable zip from this dump. It's been rooted, too. Say the words and it'll be uploaded in a few hours.

It has a diagnostic program in it that also includes radio (cell, not FM) settings.

Reactions: efrant

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
I made a flashable zip from this dump. It's been rooted, too. Say the words and it'll be uploaded in a few hours.

It has a diagnostic program in it that also includes radio (cell, not FM) settings.
Sure, that would be great.

By the way, have you figured out if the diagnostic apps can be added to the stock ROM/kernel, or do they require this ROM/kernel?

rr5678

Dec 25, 2009
Sure, that would be great.

By the way, have you figured out if the diagnostic apps can be added to the stock ROM/kernel, or do they require this ROM/kernel?

They seem to require this ROM as they seem to be somewhere other than /system/app/. Almost as if they're in some other file.

tutech

Mar 1, 2009
Boca Raton, FL
WARNING: This is a debug ROM - do not mess with anything you don't know about as you can screw up your phone, and I am NOT responsible if any of that happens.

I repeat, use this at your own risk

Part 1: http://www.mediafire.com/?3q5o6c3wt86uj15
Part 2: http://www.mediafire.com/?aql3p3aaf3elh5f

Mediafire is a fast host, so there's no need for mirrors.

I looked in the zip file and did not see a radio.img in there. Was there one in the original dump?

rr5678

Dec 25, 2009

dmeehl

Apr 26, 2011
It looks like i got the same type of debug rom from LG the other day. I cannot get adb to see/list the device though. My wife's nexus4 and my galaxy nexus show up fine, but this device will not show. USB debugging is checked. Is the rom blocking it somehow? Is it locked somehow? What did the other users have to do to get adb to see the device? I'm running linux, btw.

efrant

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
It looks like i got the same type of debug rom from LG the other day. I cannot get adb to see/list the device though. My wife's nexus4 and my galaxy nexus show up fine, but this device will not show. USB debugging is checked. Is the rom blocking it somehow? Is it locked somehow? What did the other users have to do to get adb to see the device? I'm running linux, btw.
I'm not entirely sure, as I don't have that ROM flashed to my device. But, you can always boot CWM or TWRP, and use ADB via that. In other words:

Assuming your bootloader is unlocked, download CWM or TWRP to your PC, rename it to customrecovery.img, reboot your device into the bootloader and type: fastboot boot customrecovery.img (or if that doesn't work, try: fastboot -c "lge.kcal=0|0|0|x" boot customrecovery.img). Then you have full adb root access.

dmeehl

Apr 26, 2011
Assuming your bootloader is unlocked, download CWM or TWRP to your PC, rename it to customrecovery.img, reboot your device into the bootloader and type: fastboot boot customrecovery.img (or if that doesn't work, try: fastboot -c "lge.kcal=0|0|0|x" boot customrecovery.img). Then you have full adb root access.

I'm not home now, so I can't try those commands. I did try fastboot flash recovery recovery.img this morning and it just sat there saying waiting for device. Remember, adb devices and fastboot devices do not show the device at all... The only time I can get the device to show under adb devices is by booting into recovery mode and choosing the sideload option. And still, the device is not fully recognised (says ????????????) and fastboot devices shows nothing, even in that mode.

efrant

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
I'm not home now, so I can't try those commands. I did try fastboot flash recovery recovery.img this morning and it just sat there saying waiting for device. Remember, adb devices and fastboot devices do not show the device at all... The only time I can get the device to show under adb devices is by booting into recovery mode and choosing the sideload option. And still, the device is not fully recognised (says ????????????) and fastboot devices shows nothing, even in that mode.
Don't forget that ADB and fastboot are completely different and require a separate driver install. The command "fastboot devices" will NEVER show the device if you are not booted into the bootloader. If you ARE booted into the bootloader and "fastboot devices" does not show your device, then it's a driver issue. Which driver are you using?

dmeehl

Apr 26, 2011
If you ARE booted into the bootloader and "fastboot devices" does not show your device, then it's a driver issue. Which driver are you using?

I honestly have no idea. I installed the android sdk. I'm running linux. I don't remember having to install a driver before...

Edit: Both of those fastboot commands you gave me just sit around saying waiting for device. I've tried while fully booted, sitting in the bootloader, and in recovery mode. Nothing seems to work.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Why doesn't thus dude respond?

Sent from my Kindle Nexus 7 Running CM 10

He got a hold of me. We should have dumps for you guys tomorrow night or Wed morning.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Just wanted to post an update thanks to the help of efrant I got the system dump done last night. I got side tracked after that and didn't have a chance to upload them any where. I will get them up later tonight and let you guys know. Thank you everyone for the help and especially efrant.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
    No! Please upload that firmware to the web!
    I zipped it up and put it on Dev Host here.

Hopefully it wasn't a waste of time.

Have fun with it... let me know if anything comes of it.
    Turns out that all this is for naught:

Code:
    # begin build properties
    # autogenerated by buildinfo.sh
    ro.build.id=LGEP19
    ro.build.display.id=full_mako-userdebug 4.2 LGEP19 eng.seungju24.choi.20121114.105751 test-keys
    ro.build.version.incremental=eng.seungju24.choi.20121114.105751
    ro.build.version.sdk=17
    ro.build.version.codename=REL
    ro.build.version.release=4.2
    ro.build.date=2012. 11. 14. (수) 10:58:06 KST
    ro.build.date.utc=1352858286
    ro.build.type=userdebug
    ro.build.user=seungju24.choi
    ro.build.host=Coke
    ro.build.tags=test-keys
    ro.product.model=Full JellyBean on Mako
    ro.product.brand=Android
    ro.product.name=full_mako
    ro.product.device=mako
    ro.product.board=MAKO
    ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v7a
    ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi
    ro.product.manufacturer=LGE
    ro.product.locale.language=en
    ro.product.locale.region=US
    ro.wifi.channels=
    ro.board.platform=msm8960
    # ro.build.product is obsolete; use ro.product.device
    ro.build.product=mako
    # Do not try to parse ro.build.description or .fingerprint
    ro.build.description=full_mako-userdebug 4.2 LGEP19 eng.seungju24.choi.20121114.105751 test-keys
    ro.build.fingerprint=Android/full_mako/mako:4.2/LGEP19/eng.seungju24.choi.20121114.105751:userdebug/test-keys
    ro.build.characteristics=nosdcard
    # end build properties

#
    # ADDITIONAL_BUILD_PROPERTIES
    #
    keyguard.no_require_sim=true
    ro.com.android.dataroaming=true
    ro.com.android.dateformat=MM-dd-yyyy
    ro.config.ringtone=Ring_Synth_04.ogg
    ro.config.notification_sound=pixiedust.ogg
    ro.carrier=unknown
    ro.config.alarm_alert=Alarm_Classic.ogg
    ro.opengles.version=131072
    ro.sf.lcd_density=320
    persist.audio.handset.mic=dmic
    persist.audio.fluence.mode=endfire
    persist.audio.lowlatency.rec=false
    af.resampler.quality=4
    persist.radio.apm_sim_not_pwdn=1
    ro.telephony.call_ring.multiple=0
    debug.mdpcomp.maxlayer=3
    ro.qualcomm.bt.hci_transport=smd
    telephony.lteOnCdmaDevice=0
    drm.service.enabled=true
    wifi.interface=wlan0
    wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=15
    media.aac_51_output_enabled=true
    debug.prerotation.disable=1
    debug.egl.recordable.rgba8888=1
    dalvik.vm.heapstartsize=8m
    dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit=192m
    dalvik.vm.heapsize=512m
    dalvik.vm.heaptargetutilization=0.75
    dalvik.vm.heapminfree=512k
    dalvik.vm.heapmaxfree=8m
    ro.setupwizard.mode=ENABLED
    ro.com.google.gmsversion=4.1_r2
    dalvik.vm.lockprof.threshold=500
    dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags=m=y
    net.bt.name=Android
    dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt

The build that OP has is the "JVP15L" tot flashed onto his device.

If you use LGEPST and flash "JVP15L", you should get the same result.
    This also (should) mean that a dump isnt needed as it's got the same contents as the tot file.

The "JVP15L" that's floating around isnt actually JVP15L, it is a mislabeled LG internal rom that is approx the same age as JOP40C (4.2.0).
    This rom uses the MAKOZ10G bootloader and 2.0.1700.27 baseband, which isnt available in any public rom.
    They are used in JOP24G, but that rom has never leaked, nor is it a publicly released rom.

This would explain why the bootloader and baseband in it are newer then JVP15Q, as the real JVP15L is older then JVP15Q, and this rom is definitely newer.

I'm still in the process of figuring out the format of the tot files, but I believe I can split files out of it now. When efrant is able to upload his dump, I can do a binary comparison and upload the files split straight from the source files.