[Q] Dialer / Keypad Lag or Massive Delay when making call?

Search This thread

kamandor

Apr 28, 2011
I have a Canadian Rogers Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N900W8) running the latest software update (as of last night).

Any time I dial someone's number, there is a full 10 to 15 seconds delay/lag before the phone 'reacts' and starts to actually make the call. This lag/delay happens regardless if I am:
  • using speed dial (though it is especially obvious then)
  • manually dialling a number
  • sliding to the right on a person's contact (quick dial)
  • pressing and holding on a contact's number to dial
I've tried adjusting the Google Sync settings, turning on/off the "Sync People details" as well as my Samsung account's "Sync contacts". I've disabled Facebook/Linked In "Sync Contacts", based on my theory that there was some sort of hiccup being caused by these apps' attempts to pull data on the contact immediately upon me placing the call.

The other issue is that Contact photos/names are also severely delayed when receiving an incoming call, for example when my phone starts ringing, all that I can see is their phone number at the top of the screen (almost as if it's the 'raw' cellular data), and not their name or picture (as normally would immediately appear on say my Galaxy S 3).

I've searched all over but have yet to see this issue pop up. This seems really strange. Any ideas or solutions?? Thanks!

Last edited:

kamandor

Apr 28, 2011
Edit: I tried a second battery pull and hard restart and this seems to have fixed the issue for now. Weird!

Reactions: ShadowBox

ShadowBox

Nov 21, 2007
Nashville
If it's any consolation, it's not just your Rogers Note 3. I'm having the same issue with the Note 3 made for T-Mobile USA. I'm going to try the battery pull like you suggested and see if that resolves the issue, as well as some alternate dialers. I'll post my luck once I've tried this.

Edit: I tried a second battery pull and hard restart and this seems to have fixed the issue for now. Weird!

mohamadreza85

May 8, 2014
I have found this problem (delay dialing) for 2 weeks.
When I connect to internet, by wifi or mobile data, it is corrected. But whenever the internet connection is disconnected , it apears.
I'm disappointed from Note 3 because of lots of bugs that has got especially after update to kitkat
-delay dialing
-not working any auto call recording app.
-not working properly it's sensors.
And etc

Shaunuss

Oct 8, 2013
Same bug here. 4.2.1. Phone was fine, never used to do it. randomly started doing this around the same time as I started getting multiple duplicate sms messages. Dialing delay goes away when wifi is on.

Very annoying. I'm open to suggestions!

Same bug here. 4.2.1. Phone was fine, never used to do it. randomly started doing this around the same time as I started getting multiple duplicate sms messages. Dialing delay goes away when wifi is on.

Very annoying. I'm open to suggestions!

At least 150MB of phone memory should be free..
Else, it'll lag..

I removed a few apps and now am having 200MB of free space on my Phone Memory (internal), and there are no lags..
Phone is running smooth.. :)

Last edited:

Shaunuss

Oct 8, 2013
Atleast 150MB of phone memory should be free..
Else, it'll lag..

I removed a few apps and now am having 200MB of free space on my Phone Memory (internal), and there are no lags..
Phone.is running smooth. :)

Thanks for your reply! I have 1.1gb RAM free pretty much all the time, 1.18GB ROM free, and 20.99GB internal SD free.

Not sure this is the problem.

HitNrun_

Apr 30, 2013
Giannitsa
I got the same problem and i realized after i read this post that it doesnt happen if im connected with wifi. There should be a way to fix this, its a 500euro phone there shouldnt be such problems...

norenendur

Jun 19, 2014
Had the same problem with a Samsung Relay, after a few updates. Had a chat with Samsung, after a hard cache clearing left me with the option to factory reset. Which I'm not very interested in. Uninstalled a lot of applications, then by chance connected to the wifi and sent an email. After that, it seems to be working now.

norenendur

Jun 19, 2014
Didn't fix the problem for more than a few hours. Actually I believe hooking on wi-fi did it, because I connecting again this morning solved the problem again.
I installed a firewall and denied permission for all apps, let's see if this works...

norenendur

Jun 19, 2014
No, the firewall doesn't work.

After connecting on wireless it works for about 3-4 hours. Then again bull**** happens. Don't know why, but this relation is interesting. There is no actual traffic sent form the device, since the firewall blocks a lot of the system bull**** apps from communicating, but after enabling it it works.

I see that enabling wireless even for a short while (3sec) is enough to get it back on track. Why might this be so?...

norenendur

Jun 19, 2014
Prey

Factory reset, reinstall everything, then encryption. 4 hours. Tested during the procedure to see if it dials fast. It dialed, until the end, when it started to have the same problem again.

Then I got the wonderful idea from above to check if there is something wrong with Prey. A software to block your phone if it's stolen. And guess what, as long as it's not connected to the Internet, it hangs and won't open. Maybe this was creating the problem? Don't know, but for now I uninstalled it and it seems to be working. I remember it did an update before the problem occurred, maybe the update is the problem? Will write again if the problems persists.

tarmo_r

Jun 25, 2014
Cross-referencing this thread on Prey:
https :// help.preyproject.com/topics/ android-call-delay-caused-by-prey
(sorry, as a new user I can't post outside links, so you must correct the URL above)

Seems I'm having the same issue on two of my Prey-enabled devices (HTC One X+ and HTC One X) after upgrading to latest version. Happens with Data-off.

Factory reset, reinstall everything, then encryption. 4 hours. Tested during the procedure to see if it dials fast. It dialed, until the end, when it started to have the same problem again.

Then I got the wonderful idea from above to check if there is something wrong with Prey. A software to block your phone if it's stolen. And guess what, as long as it's not connected to the Internet, it hangs and won't open. Maybe this was creating the problem? Don't know, but for now I uninstalled it and it seems to be working. I remember it did an update before the problem occurred, maybe the update is the problem? Will write again if the problems persists.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.