Updated 4-3 Enhanced ICS Camera 1.3.1 (FC24) + How-To

Search This thread

agat63

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 14, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Good call. I'm hoping most people know that by now. Just don't do anything idiotic with it (you know what I mean...)

Anyway, uploaded another file and instructions for using terminal to install all of this. Almost forgot to include it. The camera doesn't work to it's full potential without it. Agat63, I'm working late - could you include it in the zip and I'll update the link in the OP in a bit. I posted where it needs to go inside the rom.

NP.
Will do it in a bit.
Gotta finish something first.
Don't tell any one but I'm at work too.(Tssss).

Edit: Just checked the OP. Can't find uploaded file and/or instructions. Am I blind?

Last edited:

AsinX

Jan 27, 2011
Miami
Does this camera have the Funny Face Effects or Panorama working? Does anyone have a clue if we'll be able to ever get those?

Whosdaman

May 9, 2008
Gainesville, Florida
Decided to add this in here. Actually I almost forgot about it. This is the media_profiles.xml it can be found in /system/etc

It sets the profile parameters for certain functions like video recording and video editing. This works in conjunction with the camera. So while the camera now has the ability to record at 24Mbits the .xml allows it to do that. Same goes for the audio. I'll add also that I've read in the i9100 forums that the ICS camera.apk allows for true stereo recording. It uses both microphones (top and bottom) to record L/R audio. If anyone can confirm this that would be fantastic.

This file will be combined in the flashable zip located in the first post soon. Until then just download it from this post. The permissions are the same as on the apk (rw,r,r) just make sure to put it in /system/etc and change owner/group.

In terminal:
Code:
$su
#mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p9 /system
#cp /mnt/sdcard/file/location /system/etc
#chmod 644 /system/etc/media_profiles.xml

Then to change owner/group:

#cmown root:root /system/etc/media_profiles.xml
#reboot

That should get you taken care of :D

We cannot record in stereo because we do not have 2 mics. International has a second mic for noise cancellation, we don't.

athlet1c

Aug 23, 2007
City Near You
Thanks for both of you with such great work. May I make a request to have the camera setting stick when added. Seems like you have to set them every time. I forget who, but I remember someone compiling one before. Thanks in advance guys

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

KCRic

Aug 4, 2010
Overland Park
Will log on my computer in a few and update the OP with the new link from Agat63. Thanks for doing that by the way.

Fair enough on the move jerdog. Completely understandable.

EDIT: Updated OP with new link.

Sent from inside the matrix

Last edited:

KCRic

Aug 4, 2010
Overland Park
Works great, thanks guys ...
No problem. Enjoy! Just as with agat63 I'm still learning this stuff. I'm glad I seem to have nailed it on the first release. I'll look into other additions to keep this going for all of you.

We cannot record in stereo because we do not have 2 mics. International has a second mic for noise cancellation, we don't.
Well that blows. Oh well, we still have stereo just not true stereo.

Thanks for both of you with such great work. May I make a request to have the camera setting stick when added. Seems like you have to set them every time. I forget who, but I remember someone compiling one before. Thanks in advance guysk
Mine stick, not sure what's going on with yours. Try clearing camera data and reboot. System settings>Applications>'tab' All>Camera

Last edited:

MochaCharok

Mar 17, 2012
I was wondering if anyone knows...

Does flashing this over AOKP/CODENAME fix the camcorder issue?

KCRic

Aug 4, 2010
Overland Park
I was wondering if anyone knows...

Does flashing this over AOKP/CODENAME fix the camcorder issue?

I doubt it. You probably need TW framework to use this. About the best you could do is use root explorer or adb to install this to /system/app then reboot and see if it takes. Obviously backup the original camera first just in case. As Agat63 said though, tread carefully if you're considering flashing the zip.

You're welcome. Glad you like it.

darkfire2024

Feb 21, 2012
Great Work! Hopefully we can include some of the HTC mods into this camera app as well. I'm also hoping that this improved camera will work with AOSP roms.

KCRic

Aug 4, 2010
Overland Park
Great Work! Hopefully we can include some of the HTC mods into this camera app as well. I'm also hoping that this improved camera will work with AOSP roms.
I'll work on an AOSP one as soon as I figure out what's going on with this one. ICS is really being a pain, the GB camera was a lot easier. I need to learn how to break apart a zImage and see if there's something in there. I have it opening but with a black screen and then it crashes after 30 seconds.

Reactions: darkfire2024

agat63

Sep 14, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'll work on an AOSP one as soon as I figure out what's going on with this one. ICS is really being a pain, the GB camera was a lot easier. I need to learn how to break apart a zImage and see if there's something in there. I have it opening but with a black screen and then it crashes after 30 seconds.

zImage?
AFAIK you can't break apart zImage. All you can do is extract initramfs from it.
I have done that few times. But I don't know how to repack it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    4-3 v1.3.1 for FC24 is out!! Nothing has changed from 1.2.8. I just incorporated the fix for the low battery issue Calkulin added. Again, watch those file sizes - they get big very quickly.

I've been working on this for a while. Just a little rundown this is the camera from Calkulin's ICS rom so anything he's added to it is still there. I've tested it myself and it works - just make sure to read everything and install it correctly.

*There's an audio/video sync issue, this is across all roms and multiple phones that have this mod. So far there is no fix but it's being looked in to. Until then thanks to rafalense there is a solution to re-sync everthing after you record it.

Use Avidemux (Windows/Linux/BSD/Mac)
    Follow rafalense post on using it. HERE

What I've changed:

1080p new(stock)
    Superfine: 24Mbit (17)
    Fine: 18Mbit (15)
    Normal: 14Mbit (13)

720p
    Superfine: 18Mbit (12)
    Fine: 14Mbit (10)
    Normal: 10Mbit (8)

640x480 - because it's used for the front facing camera also
    Superfine: 3.159Mbit (3.078)
    Will implement in next version.

Audio bitrates for these is 128kbps (64 stock)
    Sampling rate 48kHz (unchanged from Calkulin's, stock is 16kHz)

While I did put in the time doing the conversions, decompiling, and other stuff - I did not make it silent and a few other things. Credits for that goes to:

• Calkulin - ICS goodness, making it silent, other mods I didn't do to this apk.
    • Agat63 - For helping me out and supporting me on this. Also for including this mod in his rom.
    • rafalense - For his post on editing the arrays.

To install just use Root Explorer. Any others using adb or terminal - I assume you know what you're doing already there with cp, chmod, and chown commands. Just in case though I put them up in the second post

Just a note: It may close on you a few times - this is normal from what I can tell. After a few tries and a minute or so it will work flawlessly. Also, feel free to bake this into your roms or whatever you desire. Just make sure to give me and others credit if you do.

U haz the bugz? Post them. I'm still new to this but I'll do my best to get them resolved. Have a solution? Post it. Don't leave others hanging.
    Here is modifed zip with .xml file included in /system/etc folder.

http://jumbofiles.com/dmpqgavgiihj

This will take care of permissions as well. (I hope).
    OP,
    Sorry to drop into your thread like this but in OP you promised a flashable zip file and I thought I'll do it.
    For those of you who don't wanna deal with adb, rootexplorer, renaming etc. here is the link:
    http://jumbofiles.com/l281z31g34oi

This zip will flash new enhanced and silenced camera and at the same time will turn off camera system sounds like shutter, video on and of etc.

OP if it's OK with you just place the link in first post so users don't have to look for it.
    If you think I'm outa line here just delete this post and keep link in first post if you want.:D
    Terminal code and future plans

Flashable zip located in first post. If you like to do it the 'hard' way, want to learn, or you're just old school like that the permissions for both are rw,r,r change owner/group to root also.

In terminal:
    Code:
    $su
    #mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p9 /system
    #cp /mnt/sdcard/file/location /system/etc
    or
    #cp /mnt/sdcard/file/location /system/app
    #chmod 644 /path/to/file

Then to change owner/group:

#cmown root:root /path/to/file
    #reboot

That should get you taken care of :D

Future plans
    More audio adjustments (hopefully 192 without it cutting out)
    Increase front cameras 640x480 bitrate
    Try to get the time between each picture down.
    Raise the FPS above 30 (might be hardware limited)
    Currently checking with the OP of THIS thread. Hopefully we can get some of these mods included also. < I got the ok from the dev so I'll be decompiling over the next few days and looking through it to see how/if any of it can be added to this one.

If you can help with any of these (or more) please jump in. I'd especially like some help from anyone knowledgeable in audio/video or photography to help on numbers for quality tweaks. some questions I have are:
    Since we only have one mic does setting audio recording to 2 channel really matter or is it better to set it to 1 and let the playback equipment (home theater or VLC for example) decode it to stereo?
    How high should the bitrates (video) go before it becomes unnoticeable in terms of quality?
    I've heard the stock audio gain is too high - if I can adjust it, how much should I drop it?

If you'd like to see how this is done and try it yourself I have a how-to on page 8, post 75. LINK There's also a 'cheat sheet' attached to the post.
    So if we are currently on Calkulin's E4GT 2 v1.1 is this any different from the camera on there?

Not in looks, just in performance. The bitrates for audio and video are higher which leads to better quality (to a degree). What we got stock just wasn't a good as it should be.