I love the Nitro screen....

Search This thread

bmxant

Nov 2, 2007
But something is telling me to wait and see what comes out by the end of this month, does anyone feel the same way? Or is anyone waiting to possibly return theirs?

I really hate the lack of support that this phone has. I think it would definitely be more popular if it was the first phone to get ICS as well, besides the Nexus of course.

The Skyrocket.......I just can't do it. LG actually updating the Nitro around the same time as the Skyrocket........I don't think it's going to happen.

I played with both phones, and the stock Nitro was a damn lag fest.

Namuna

Jan 11, 2010
New York
Seriously, what could be coming? A 3D screen (if so, I'm not particularly interested in them). I would imagine the 1280x720 IPS screen of the Nitro is going to be as far as the technology goes for awhile to come.

I do agree that lack of Dev/hacker interest is a bit light for the Nitro at the moment...But the phone only hit the streets Dec 5th and we've already got root, so that ain't nuttin.

You played with the Nitro and Skyrocket, where? If it was at a store, then unfortunately you saw the bloated down version of the Nitro. I assure you when you debloat the Nitro it makes quite a difference, with root and couple of tweaks it's even better still.

Last edited:
Reactions: bmxant

V@no

Sep 24, 2007
I've played with Skyrocket for 3 weeks and can tell you, it's garbage...for starters the screen is awful, it has very visible at some backgrounds vertical "static" lines all over (image can move, but the lines stay, which makes them extremely visible) and colors are all messed up. All that is probably because of the resolution, which is a joke at modern standards. The battery life was as bad as Nitro (yet, I've been using Nitro for just 30 hours).

Right now on Nitro with rooted stock rom I can do more then I could've done with a custom rom on Skyrocket...Now if I could figure out how to disable that damn lock screen...:)

Reactions: bmxant

bmxant

Nov 2, 2007
I've played with Skyrocket for 3 weeks and can tell you, it's garbage...for starters the screen is awful, it has very visible at some backgrounds vertical "static" lines all over (image can move, but the lines stay, which makes them extremely visible) and colors are all messed up. All that is probably because of the resolution, which is a joke at modern standards. The battery life was as bad as Nitro (yet, I've been using Nitro for just 30 hours).

Right now on Nitro with rooted stock rom I can do more then I could've done with a custom rom on Skyrocket...Now if I could figure out how to disable that damn lock screen...:)

I agree, I went through 3 SII's before I gave up. I'm only hesitant about grabbing the Nitro because I want the Note, but maybe I should just go for it. It seems to be performing just as good as the Nexus, if not better in some stuff.

What's the reason for all the LG hate? Is it just the device support, or the build quality?

rsohne

Mar 4, 2007
Root the phone and install Ram Manager from the Market and you wont even know its the same phone.

---------- Post added at 09:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

The build quality is excellent, we are just lacking dev support currently.

+1 on the build quality. Where some of the blogs get off on it feeling cheap I just don't get.

gte460z

Nov 18, 2010
Boston
Its all Nexus hype which doesn't really make sense to me. The nexus series is supposed to be a development platform, not a top of the line phone...

Anyways, ram manager has made a significant difference with my phone, I absolutely recommend it.

hashhash

Mar 30, 2010
Screen / Hardware is brilliant ,We can root it, download mode has been discovered, all we need is some custom recovery / ROM !

novaIS350

Dec 25, 2008
New York, New York
Just traded in my skyrocket for the nitro. Build quality is not the issue. The issues I've noticed thus far is the lack of optimizations LG has made to Android for this hardware and usability out of the box. There is zero hardware acceleration on the ui and its obvious. The overall sluggishness out of the box is making me second guess my exchange. I'm going to give it a run, but I might be returning this and waiting for the note. PS the screen is pretty sweet though

Sent from my LG-P930 using xda premium

dinan

Oct 28, 2008
Yep, you pretty much nailed it. The phone is lacking in overall polish that Samsung adds to their phones. Scrolling is just smoother and there's generally less "jitter" on Samsung phones. Seems finger-tracking is better as well. HTC/LG/Moto/Sony phones all seem to not bother with optimizing their phones - they just insist on bloating it up and using the fastest processor they can.

I think only ICS can really help this phone out because of the hardware acceleration, no ROM will really do much but get rid of some bloat.

If you can get your hands on a GSM Galaxy Nexus I'd recommend that if you want something similar to the Nitro - Ice Cream Sandwich is just in a different league.
Just traded in my skyrocket for the nitro. Build quality is not the issue. The issues I've noticed thus far is the lack of optimizations LG has made to Android for this hardware and usability out of the box. There is zero hardware acceleration on the ui and its obvious. The overall sluggishness out of the box is making me second guess my exchange. I'm going to give it a run, but I might be returning this and waiting for the note. PS the screen is pretty sweet though

V@no

Sep 24, 2007
+1 on the build quality. Where some of the blogs get off on it feeling cheap I just don't get.
The back cover feels cheap, the glass also feels like plastic (probably because of unusual rolled edges?).
Speaking of glass, it's dirt magnet, in day time without direct sunlight the oil from hands at certain angle makes it very hard see what's on the screen. Skyrocket doesn't have this problem.
Yeah yeah, I should wash my hands more often, I know, I know.

novaIS350

Dec 25, 2008
New York, New York
Seriously, what could be coming? A 3D screen (if so, I'm not particularly interested in them). I would imagine the 1280x720 IPS screen of the Nitro is going to be as far as the technology goes for awhile to come.

I do agree that lack of Dev/hacker interest is a bit light for the Nitro at the moment...But the phone only hit the streets Dec 5th and we've already got root, so that ain't nuttin.

You played with the Nitro and Skyrocket, where? If it was at a store, then unfortunately you saw the bloated down version of the Nitro. I assure you when you debloat the Nitro it makes quite a difference, with root and couple of tweaks it's even better still.

720p will be the limit for all of 6 months to a year. Then we're going to see full HD screens in 3d variants with ridiculous refresh rates. Marketing hype

Namuna

Jan 11, 2010
New York
720p will be the limit for all of 6 months to a year. Then we're going to see full HD screens in 3d variants with ridiculous refresh rates. Marketing hype

I don't see true HD (1080p) coming to smartphones (or at least not anything under 5"). As it is now, with the 720p on 4.5" screen, that's something like 329ppi. Supposedly that's about the limit that the naked eye can focus to.

Higher than that and not only is it moot, but adds complexity and potential roadblocks. There's already a couple of games I can't run on my Nitro, even using the helper app in the Display settings, because they can't be drawn correctly on the high rez screen.

3D, on the other hand, I agree is likely on its' way. I have a coworker that bought an Android phone recently (can't recall the model) that has the dual-cameras that shoots pics in 3D. So I can't imagine a 3D screen itself isn't too far behind.

scott0

Dec 9, 2011
l0lz @ the readable native font size on a 1280p <5" screen

you will need a magnifier but it will be crystal clear!

PearsonDKA

Mar 15, 2011
Toronto
In regards to the dev Support, we recently got a hold of one of the revs that brought cwm to the Atrix and have sent him some boot files/images.

Stick around and have some hope, this phone is beyond amazing.

Sent from The Optimus LTE

donharden2002

Nov 25, 2010
Pittsburgh
I took my nitro back today for the skyrocket. It's going to take some time to get used to this screen.
I enjoyed the nitro but had an issue with it that just couldn't figure out.
Without deleting any apps other than att bloat, I let the battery run down to charge back up but after that I turned it on and it booted to the lock screen. Went to unlock it and nothing, black screen. Hard reset and same thing.
I'm going to miss that screen but if I can adjust to this 2010 display I think I'll love the skyrocket.
Best of luck to you all on getting dev support for what has the potential to be a great device. And as far as feeling cheap, I actually liked the feel of the battery cover on the nitro.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727

Malnilion

Dec 21, 2011
I took my nitro back today for the skyrocket. It's going to take some time to get used to this screen.
I enjoyed the nitro but had an issue with it that just couldn't figure out.
Without deleting any apps other than att bloat, I let the battery run down to charge back up but after that I turned it on and it booted to the lock screen. Went to unlock it and nothing, black screen. Hard reset and same thing.
I'm going to miss that screen but if I can adjust to this 2010 display I think I'll love the skyrocket.
Best of luck to you all on getting dev support for what has the potential to be a great device. And as far as feeling cheap, I actually liked the feel of the battery cover on the nitro.

Just out of curiosity, did you install a 3rd party launcher or anything that might have done that? I know, for example, that if you disable/uninstall the LG launcher you could run into that if there was no 3rd party launcher installed.

donharden2002

Nov 25, 2010
Pittsburgh

Try the no lock app in the market, it should work.

donharden2002

Nov 25, 2010
Pittsburgh
Just out of curiosity, did you install a 3rd party launcher or anything that might have done that? I know, for example, that if you disable/uninstall the LG launcher you could run into that if there was no 3rd party launcher installed.

I was using launcher pro but that shouldn't have caused the issue it had. It was probably just a faulty device. They even tried reflasing it the att store which did nothing for it.
I do miss that display.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.