Screen Goes Crazy

Search This thread

AnuragB56

May 22, 2012
I've had my Note for under a month now. I've been ever so careful with it. My heart skipped a beat when one day, all of a sudden, the screen just went mad!

I scoured the Web but couldn't find any other instance of this but the other day, in another thread, a few people have said that they've experienced the same problems. It's happened to my friends phone as well. I thought both of us were sold defective pieces to be honest but it looks like a global issue.

This is not just a case of screen flicker and screen changing colours on a white background. It goes haywire! Almost like the old television sets with their rainbow effect.

This has happened pre and post ICS; so it's definitely not a software issue. It has to be a hardware defect.

When I tried taking a screen shot of it, it just took a screen shot of the app I was using before the madness began.

It happened again last night. This time, fortunately or unfortunately, the screen stayed that way till I hit the power button. I had enough time to take a photo of it using a friends phone. Check it out :

uploadfromtaptalk1341381881854.jpg

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

The Lum

May 14, 2012
Stirling
I dont know the reason behind it but my phone has done the same thing twice since i got it.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda app-developers app

routey

May 18, 2012
got this once when i upgraded from gb to ics, goes away when i turn off the screen and turn it back on again.

gyurcsok

Mar 14, 2012
Its about some live wallpapers. Same thing happened with me with blue sea lwp after upgraded to ics.

joost81

Sep 19, 2008
I have this sometimes too, but I don't use live wallpapers so doubt if this has anything to do with it.

AnuragB56

May 22, 2012
I have this sometimes too, but I don't use live wallpapers so doubt if this has anything to do with it.

+1 I don't use live wallpapers either. Phone's not rooted either. It's probably an issue with the graphics chip. And it seems to be a global issue and not limited to any region as such.

_Kshitij

Jan 25, 2011
Happened with me also

Thanks you reported.. I was not able to report since the screen got fine in few seconds. Didn't experienced it since..look likes hardware issue to me as well.. I hope samsung pay some attention here..

AnuragB56

May 22, 2012
It happens to me in some custom roms...

Its not a problem...

But it does give a heart attack :p

I sure hope you're right because the same thing happened to my laptop once. The screen started flickering this way occasionally and it the frequency increased. In the end, I was told that the chip and the screen needed to be changed. Luckily it was still under warranty at that point.

Just hoping the same thing doesn't happen to this AFTER the warranty lapses!

musashiro

Jul 1, 2011
Tarlac
never experienced this.. i used ICS for 2 days, no sign of this issue back then.. and now im back to GB...

is this what they call pixel salad?

grgsiocl

Nov 9, 2009
Kurnool, Andhra Pradesh
flicker or pixel salad, whataever you name, mostly happens when you end the call or call disconnection...the same happened to me and gone through the logcat and reproduced the same once again..

AnuragB56

May 22, 2012
flicker or pixel salad, whataever you name, mostly happens when you end the call or call disconnection...the same happened to me and gone through the logcat and reproduced the same once again..

So is this then a hardware issue? Something to do with the graphics chip? Can't be a software bug right?

kevintangi

Jan 2, 2012
Pekanbaru
Dude. I was searching for this.. this happens for me.. OFTEN !! more than 15 times already i think. I think it started like this since having ICS. I had my first week on GB and have no such issue.. probably screen reset or what ?

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

scarlet_sg

Apr 18, 2012
funny i have never experienced this before... i've had my note for almost 3 months now

have upgraded to official ICS then root then went back to GB root..

just wondering for those of you who experienced this sort of pixelation, where did you get your note from?? mine was from the the telco when i renewed my contract and seems to me that it is more likely a defective unit..

AnuragB56

May 22, 2012
funny i have never experienced this before... i've had my note for almost 3 months now

have upgraded to official ICS then root then went back to GB root..

just wondering for those of you who experienced this sort of pixelation, where did you get your note from?? mine was from the the telco when i renewed my contract and seems to me that it is more likely a defective unit..

Honestly, I thought my friend and I were sold defective pieces here but as I mentioned earlier, from the kind of response this thread is getting, it's definitely a global issue.

My unit was manufactured in Vietnam. Bought it at a store here in India. It's probably a case of a batch of defective units. Samsung needs to take stock of this. With their over zealous selling spree, it wouldn't surprise me if someone at the quality testing team was made to look the other way. Conspiracy theory maybe but who knows eh?