Clockworkmod: Error while restoring /data!

Search This thread

manekineko

Jul 26, 2009
I'm using regular Clockworkmod 5.0.2.6 (not touch, which I've never tried).

I made a bunch of Nandroid backups of my phone. In the past I've restored to some of them and they worked. However, now, whenever I try restoring any of them from CWM, including the ones that worked before, it restores for a while and then it fails stating:
"Error while restoring /data!"

I searched on Google, and the only references I've found to this problem are from Galaxy Nexus owners. For them, just reflashing stock over Fastboot fixes it, so I reflashed stock 2.3.5 over Odin, but the problem remains.

I've also tried doing wipe data/factory reset from inside CWM and that didn't help.

Has anyone seen this before or have any ideas on how to fix this?!

manekineko

Jul 26, 2009
I've discovered the log function under Advanced of CWM. This is what the log is ending with:

tar: can't remove old file data/system/packages.xml: Operation not permitted
#92997temp.dumpefs1.binefs2.binefs3.binS30edt_perms.logzipalign.log.cid.info.psm.info.mac.infoentropy.datbatterystats.binuiderrors.txtusage-20120304usage-20120305usage-20120229usage-20120301usage-20120302usage-20120303packages.xmlError while restoring /data!

I Googled around, and came up with this:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1461658
Again, the Galaxy Nexus, with the same problem being this data/system/packages.xml file, and the same solution being Fastboot.

What the heck is going on? Is it possible for us to use Fastboot on our T989's?

Reactions: gdjindal

raycaster3

Apr 17, 2011
S.Ogden

I made a bunch of Nandroid backups of my phone. In the past I've restored to some of them and they worked. However, now, whenever I try restoring any of them from CWM, including the ones that worked before, it restores for a while and then it fails stating:

I searched on Google, and the only references I've found to this problem are from Galaxy Nexus owners. For them, just reflashing stock over Fastboot fixes it, so I reflashed stock 2.3.5 over Odin, but the problem remains.

I've also tried doing wipe data/factory reset from inside CWM and that didn't help.

You're not alone my friend and I know how to fix it, albiet temporarily, although I haven't actually had the issue in quite some time.
Do a full wipe and clean install of your favourite rom. Once it boots and you let it settle for a few minutes reboot recovery and restore your backup. I have done this method about 12-15 times. The error restoring was accompanied by the inability to reboot my phone at all without having a complete meltdown of every app force closing. It was after the first "bad reboot" I had that I got the error while trying to restore a backup. Hopefully you don't have o go through that. It sucked big time to say the least. Hope this helps

»»DARKSIDE««

Last edited:

manekineko

Jul 26, 2009
You're not alone my friend and I know how to fix it, albiet temporarily, although I haven't actually had the issue in quite some time.
Do a full wipe and clean install of your favourite rom. Once it boots and you let it settle for a few minutes reboot recovery and restore your backup. I have done this method about 12-15 times. The error restoring was accompanied by the inability to reboot my phone at all without having a complete meltdown of every app force closing. It was after the first "bad reboot" I had that I got the error while trying to restore a backup. Hopefully you don't have o go through that. It sucked big time to say the least. Hope this helps

»»DARKSIDE««

Fixed it, just as you were typing up your response. (Thanks for the tip nonetheless!)

I just ran Darkside Super Wipe on my phone, and after that my restore proceeded perfectly.

I wonder if that's really the key. I don't suppose your favorite ROM is Darkside Digital Warfare, which has Darkside Super Wipe built-in?

Reactions: mikeheartless

raycaster3

Apr 17, 2011
S.Ogden
Fixed it, just as you were typing up your response. (Thanks for the tip nonetheless!)

I just ran Darkside Super Wipe on my phone, and after that my restore proceeded perfectly.

I wonder if that's really the key. I don't suppose your favorite ROM is Darkside Digital Warfare, which has Darkside Super Wipe built-in?

Of course it is lol.

»»DARKSIDE««

mikeheartless

Jun 1, 2011
Thanks for the fix, same thing happened to me. I had the Optimus T before this so I whent flash happy 12 hours after I unboxed this beautiful phone. I've only had this phone a week, you saved my life lol.

celticpride34

Mar 23, 2010
Hey all,
not trying to rehash a "solved" thread but Im having this issue and then some.

First, I tried Darksides wipe script and tried to restore the boot and install a new rom, then install the backup, all to no avail. I tried everything. When you get this error, it seems (at least from my experience) that your only hope is to restore from the stock 4.02 google image and then restore from the nandroid. This first happened to me when my phone dropped and off the couch and the battery came out. It seemed to have corrupted the sdcard, or, at least that was my guess.

However, upon redoing everything to stock and restoring the nandroid (even upgrading to the latest ver of clockworkmod recovery), the problem comes back. Im worried about permeneant damage, possibly, but it makes no sense that I would be able to revert to stock and have it working fine. When I reverted and restored from my nandroid, everything worked flawlessly. Then, today, I turned off my phone (which is a rarity, if ever) and it wouldnt boot back up a few minutes later. Bootlooop and the dreaded "error while restoring data!" message. Im going to revert to stock again and start completely from zip, no nandroid. Its possible that the nandroid is corrupted I suppose but i dont believe it would let me restore it than. Any ideas? Could this be from me leaving my phone on practically all the time, without ever turning it off? or the battery coming out while in use? (which makes sense in theory but I've done a battery pull countless times and never had a problem like this). Would there be a way I could determine, for sure if its a hardware problem? Verizon Nexus (hardware ver 9 I believe) now running JB Sourcery 2.0 (from team sourcery...an AWESOME rom, so I dont believe it to be that.)

Cheers!

jjprophet

May 7, 2010
Minneapolis

»»DARKSIDE««

Wow thanks so much for this! Just happened to me on my note 2 and after doing some googling I came across this post and it worked perfectly, first try. thanks again!

molonad

Mar 24, 2010
i had this problem now.. my hearth stopped to work.. :D but this guide helped me ! thanx ! so it is working in year 2014 too :)

Telmiz

Oct 21, 2014

»»DARKSIDE««
plz help me :crying: i am new to this here is my situation i hav a galaxy s4 i9500 i rooted my device 2 days ago and i backed up during the back up it showed no .android_secure found. skipping backup of applications on external storage andalso root error fix . i google it and found its not a big deal so i factory formatted it but when it restored it and restored it all the applications started showing error msg so i formatted sd card and replaced backup folder and tried to back up it showed md5 mismatch so i editted nanroid.md5 with notepad++ and tried to reboot again now its showing recovery data error . what to do?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

»»DARKSIDE««
    I've discovered the log function under Advanced of CWM. This is what the log is ending with:

tar: can't remove old file data/system/packages.xml: Operation not permitted
    #92997temp.dumpefs1.binefs2.binefs3.binS30edt_perms.logzipalign.log.cid.info.psm.info.mac.infoentropy.datbatterystats.binuiderrors.txtusage-20120304usage-20120305usage-20120229usage-20120301usage-20120302usage-20120303packages.xmlError while restoring /data!

I Googled around, and came up with this:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1461658
    Again, the Galaxy Nexus, with the same problem being this data/system/packages.xml file, and the same solution being Fastboot.

What the heck is going on? Is it possible for us to use Fastboot on our T989's?

»»DARKSIDE««