Get Google Now to speak on Canadian stock Jelly Bean

Search This thread

BCSC

Nov 5, 2009
New Westminster
Idan73 has helped me to get Google Now to speak some time ago on the leaked build. It is extremely easy. If you open root explorer navigate to /system/csc/ language.xml. use menu button to open this file in text editor. The 5th or so line down is the languages currently displayed and looks like this......en_CA;fr_CA;kr_KR;........ all you need to do is add en_US to the end of this line and it will activate english (United States) in the settings/language and input tab. Go into phone Settings then Language and inputs and select English United states. Google Now will now speak. Big props to Idan73 for his help.

Obviously you will need root to accomplish this. I used CF-root after updating via KIES. Be sure to thank ChainFire for his work when you visit his thread.

Last edited:

Tony_YYZ

Oct 31, 2012
Idan73 has helped me to get Google Now to speak some time ago on the leaked build. It is extremely easy. If you open root explorer navigate to /system/csc/ language.xml. use menu button to open this file in text editor. The 5th or so line down is the languages currently displayed and looks like this......en_CA;fr_CA;kr_KR;........ all you need to do is add en_US to the end of this line and it will activate english (United States) in the settings/language and input tab. Go into phone Settings then Language and inputs and select English United states. Google Now will now speak. Big props to Idan73 for his help.

Obviously you will need root to accomplish this. I used CF-root after updating via KIES. Be sure to thank ChainFire for his work when you visit his thread.

If you're not comfortable tinkering with the files on your own, there is an app that can help you. Credit goes to xaueious for these instructions.

I have a Galaxy Nexus, so I already went though this before. Blame Google.

TO GET GOOGLE NOW FULLY WORKING IN CANADA, YOU NEED TO:

• set your system locale (not the one in Google Now, but your actual device language) to en-US (use https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.c_lis.ccl.morelocale&hl=en), add custom locale with language 'en', country 'US', and apply that. The stock setting of en-CA (Canadian English) does not work
  • change your Google Now search settings to use Google.com instead of Google.ca. You lose cards otherwise.
  • Make sure Google Now voice is English US to avoid further issues.

There's also an update for Google Now in the the Play Store.

Mine works just fine.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

If you're not comfortable tinkering with the files on your own, there is an app that can help you. Credit goes to xaueious for these instructions.

I have a Galaxy Nexus, so I already went though this before. Blame Google.

TO GET GOOGLE NOW FULLY WORKING IN CANADA, YOU NEED TO:

• set your system locale (not the one in Google Now, but your actual device language) to en-US (use https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.c_lis.ccl.morelocale&hl=en), add custom locale with language 'en', country 'US', and apply that. The stock setting of en-CA (Canadian English) does not work
    • change your Google Now search settings to use Google.com instead of Google.ca. You lose cards otherwise.
    • Make sure Google Now voice is English US to avoid further issues.

There's also an update for Google Now in the the Play Store.

Mine works just fine.