Just wondering what Unrevoked is?? :)

Search This thread

lambrospower

Jul 5, 2009
Nicosia
www.mastergenius.net
it flashes the clockworkmod recovery into your phone and that way you don't need a pc or the shortcuts we were using so far to enter a recovery that enables us to flash new roms etc...and i think this way you can backup your ext partition on sdcard (haven't tried it yet)

lennshow66

Apr 19, 2010
No if you head over to the www.unrevoked.com/recovery it says its also for the desire ... Has anyone tried this on the desire??

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

rolfd

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 25, 2010
Norn Irn
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Basically, once you root your handset and you want to try out a new rom you used to have to connect your phone to a pc and push the recovery files to be able to do anything.

Then cloclworkmod recovery was written that allowed the recovery files to be stored and started from the SD card, therefore removing the dependancy on a pc to push the files.

Now this new one, unrevoked, flashes the recovery files directly to the recovery section on your phone. No need for a PC and no dependancy on the files being on the SD card. So now, once you flash this, you simply reboot your phone with the volume button held down. Wait a few seconds then scroll ro 'recovery' with the volume button, then press the power button. This takes you directly to recovery menu that allows you to backup your current rom, flash new roms, wipe your cache etc.

rolfd

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 25, 2010
Norn Irn
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Haha im scared of bricking my phone haha

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

Lol I was the same, and I did brick my first one. The infamous usb brick. BUT, and it's a big but... That is no longer a problem with the new methods. Even if you did somehow manage to brick it, it can be fixed!

If you read the guides and follow them you will have a nicely rooted phone and any number of custom roms at your disposal. I don't think I could live with a stock desire now :p

rolfd

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 25, 2010
Norn Irn
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
The guide on modaco is probably the most recent one to use. it's called risk free root or something.

The difference between stock and rooted is quite big. Stock is just that, what HTC decides to give you. Once you root you can put on any desire rom available in the dev section here. They include experimental roms for froyo, loads of 2.1 roms. 2.1 is what you are on now. The 2.1 roms are tweaked to give better battery life, nicer looks, more features etc. Also on a rooted rom you can use apps like titanium backup which will backup all your apps and their info. Market enabler is an app that allows you to buy apps if you are in a country not yet supported by the market. Setcpu can be used to overclock the processor. Any new updated roms that HTC release will usually be tweaked and availaible to you well before the official release.

These are only a few advantages to using a rooted rom. Have a wee look in the development forum for the desire and see what is available.