[Emulator Skin] HTC HD2 Emulator Skin for Device Emulator / Visual Studio Designer

Search This thread

FreeDee

Hey,

this is my first contribution here on xda-developers and I hope you like it. :)

Overview
I've created a new skin for Microsoft Device Emulator and the designer view of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 (2005). It is based on the HTC HD2 device and it looks so much more appealing than the outdated Pocket PC skin that the emulator / vs uses by default.
In addition to the improved looks, the skin offers more advantages:
  • The WVGA Emulator window now vertically fits on your desktop when using FullHD (1920x1080) resolution (or higher).
  • You have most of the buttons that modern devices use available: Send, Home, Start Menu, Back, End.
  • Modernized Windows Mobile application development/debugging experience.
    (I know of the imminent release of the first Windows Phone devices, but I'm sure development for WM will continue for quite a while, especially on xda-developers. ;))

Screenshots (Click for full size)
HTC HD2 skin (left)
Default old Pocket PC skin (right)

Visual Studio Designer

Installation
The archive should be extracted to Program Files\Windows Mobile 6.5.3 DTK\PocketPC\Deviceemulation [Program Files (x86) on 64 bit operating systems]
Changing the emulator skin ist easy: Just click File->Configure...->Display and point the Skin textbox to the newly installed skin xml file.
For changing the Visual Studio Designer please refer to the instructions posted here: Form Factor 800 x 480

Notes
You can rotate the device by clicking the first of the two icons on the upper right hand corner. The other icon lets you reset the emulator.
Skin was tested with Windows Mobile 6.5.3 Developer Tool Kit and Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition.

Known Issues
The hardware "Home" Button on the device does not always function as expected. According to this posting the hardware "Home" button is mapped to the Windows key (Smartphone Device Emulator table). However, when using the Pocket PC Device Emulator, the Windows key opens up the start menu, that's just how my emulator behaves. I couldn't figure out the key code for the hardware Home key - so if anyone knows the code, please send me a message.

I would like to thank:
splinter98 for his HTC HD2 MyMobiler skin (that's where I got the HD2 image from)

Version History
  • v1.0 - Initial Release

Download
Pocket_PC_Phone_WVGA_HTC_HD2-v1.0.zip

Have fun with it and let me know what you think. :)

Last edited:

ShinnRa

Jun 20, 2009
Gdynia
how to change the resolution of this skin cause on my laptop with screen size 1440x900 this skin is quite... big o_O' but standard Windows Mobile 6 Professional skin looks normal... Or there is maybe something messed in my VS config. If yes, then how to fix this ?

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 93

DavidTiger

Nov 2, 2008
Kirkcaldy
Because its WVGA the height of it is 800 therefore including the window around the skin would probably be more than 900 (your screen height) and not fit on the screen properly..