[BUG] USB OTG - could we get some N4 community members to help raise this issue

Search This thread

parker09

Apr 27, 2010
eparker.me
Hey, I purchased a 16GB model, with the intent of using USB OTG to use in conjunction with USB flash drives like we can with basically all other phones these days - but obviously it's still my fault for purchasing on the first day without knowing that USB OTG isn't supported on the Nexus 4.

Now that it's pretty much all but confirmed that USB OTG isn't working on Mako, maybe we could star the 'bug' on the official android bug report website, and maybe at a comment to voice opinions that some of you (as well as me).

If we all star it & maybe add a comment, it could help?

http://code.google.com/p/android/is...s Owner Summary Stars&groupby=&sort=&id=40087

wmm

Jun 23, 2007
Sudbury, MA
Please don't add a comment. As noted in that thread, adding a comment spams everyone who has previously commented or starred. If you have something new to add, fine, but if you're just posting "Yeah, this stinks!" or the equivalent, please refrain. :)

(Anyhow, I'm not sure how much that bug report will help; it seems most likely that the hardware just doesn't support USB host mode.)

parker09

Apr 27, 2010
eparker.me
Please don't add a comment. As noted in that thread, adding a comment spams everyone who has previously commented or starred. If you have something new to add, fine, but if you're just posting "Yeah, this stinks!" or the equivalent, please refrain. :)
Okay.

(Anyhow, I'm not sure how much that bug report will help; it seems most likely that the hardware just doesn't support USB host mode.)
I'm holding out hope that it's a software issue at this time until it's confirmed by Google. I know they wrote Mako can't supply 5V but even with a powered USB hub devices don't work.

http://support.google.com/nexus/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2809827&topic=2809758&ctx=topic

googlehm.png

l3iggs

Jul 10, 2009
Palo Alto
I'm not entirely sure this is a bug. It may be a design choice combined with poor documentation.

Look here:
http://support.google.com/nexus/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2809827&topic=2809758&ctx=topic
This page clearly says "USB is not supported for connecting such devices."

It appears to me that USB OTG is not supported on the nexus 4.
We can keep our fingers crossed that this is fixable via a software/firmware update. Although I'm concerned that that USB OTG is hardware incompatible with the Slimport display solution LG has chosen. Both USB OTG and slimport display use the micro USB connector's pin #4 for different purposes. USB OTG needs a cable that pulls it to ground to indicate to the phone that it should operate in USB host mode. I'm less familiar with slimport, but from what I've read it seems to perform some signaling on pin 4 to enable and stream video.

If the two really are mutually exclusive, I personally wish they had ditched slimport in favor of USB OTG since I can (eventually) mirror the display using miracast.

thesavvymage

Sep 17, 2012
I'm not entirely sure this is a bug. It may be a design choice combined with poor documentation.

Look here:
This page clearly says "USB is not supported for connecting such devices."

It appears to me that USB OTG is not supported on the nexus 4.
We can keep our fingers crossed that this is fixable via a software/firmware update. Although I'm concerned that that USB OTG is hardware incompatible with the Slimport display solution LG has chosen. Both USB OTG and slimport display use the micro USB connector's pin #4 for different purposes. USB OTG needs a cable that pulls it to ground to indicate to the phone that it should operate in USB host mode. I'm less familiar with slimport, but from what I've read it seems to perform some signaling on pin 4 to enable and stream video.

If the two really are mutually exclusive, I personally wish they had ditched slimport in favor of USB OTG since I can (eventually) mirror the display using miracast.

They just updated that page today (dec 6 depending where you are). So it clearly says that... only after the phone has been out 3 weeks :( until today the documentation said it should work. they basically just said "yes it works" and then a month later said "lol jk no it doesnt"

petraman

Nov 13, 2010
Granville, OH
It is not the issue when ChainFire update his Stickmount to 2.1.

Quoted on the app's page in the play store...

The Nexus 4 is not supported - this is an issue with the device, not with StickMount !

If you're holding out hope, I appreciate your optimism but it probably isn't going to happen... I'm considering calling up Play support and asking for a refund so I can get a 16gb, even though that probably won't happen for a few weeks,

BTW... just called the play store. They will NOT return your device because of this issue. Even for an exchange (I just wanted a 16gb) I don't understand their logic but because they changed their documentation, I guess that removes them of liability... IMO that does nothing of the source. I'm filing a BBB report now, which is something I never thought I'd do to google... this is BS.

Last edited:

@rbiter

Dec 4, 2011
Class action is probably the best way to handle this. I'd much rather have USB host mode.

I voided my warranty.

PoisonWolf

Feb 8, 2009
I bought the Nexus 4 under the assumption that I could at least get USB OTG to satisfy the lack of a micro SD card. FML.

USSENTERNCC1701E

Sep 21, 2010
Logan
Quoted on the app's page in the play store...

If you're holding out hope, I appreciate your optimism but it probably isn't going to happen... I'm considering calling up Play support and asking for a refund so I can get a 16gb, even though that probably won't happen for a few weeks,

BTW... just called the play store. They will NOT return your device because of this issue. Even for an exchange (I just wanted a 16gb) I don't understand their logic but because they changed their documentation, I guess that removes them of liability... IMO that does nothing of the source. I'm filing a BBB report now, which is something I never thought I'd do to google... this is BS.

Call again and talk to someone else, as long as you are within the return window, you can return for any reason at all, with a restocking fee.

Or you could scalp it on ebay to and make money on the whole deal :shrug: I'm just glad I didn't know about OTG when I purchased it, or I would have gone 8GB.

gie62001

Jan 21, 2011
London
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Hi I found out that the CPU itself can use OTG so maybe we could expoid that? Hope I helped.

http://www.qualcomm.com/chipsets/snapdragon

Sent from my NexusHD2 using xda app-developers app

Shaky is working on it in development thread. So you might want to have a look there for progress and information however don't forget its development thread

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=35898062

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app