This is pretty darned clever...

Search This thread

mtpease

May 16, 2012
Atlanta
I wonder how well this system will integrate with an aftermarket car stereo. I have a sub woofer, and a backup camera in my car, and they both connect directly to my head unit. If I could use an android phone as my backup camera, I would be incredibly pleased.

Solutions Etcetera

Oct 7, 2012
Sierra Nevada (west slope)
I wonder how well this system will integrate with an aftermarket car stereo. I have a sub woofer, and a backup camera in my car, and they both connect directly to my head unit. If I could use an android phone as my backup camera, I would be incredibly pleased.
I believe it has preamp outs for a sub amp, but no input for a cam.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Wade-0

Sep 11, 2007
Ashland, OR
My main concern with a setup like that would be screen burn-in on our AMOLED display. I used my GNex in a powered car dock with the screen always on, and I could clearly see the giant Pandora "P" burned into the middle of the screen from my car-home application.

Solutions Etcetera

Oct 7, 2012
My main concern with a setup like that would be screen burn-in on our AMOLED display. I used my GNex in a powered car dock with the screen always on, and I could clearly see the giant Pandora "P" burned into the middle of the screen from my car-home application.
Why would you need to keep the display on all of the time? Of course, if the clamp doesn't allow access to your power button, then it is a pretty big fail for Android.

Wade-0

Sep 11, 2007
Ashland, OR
Why would you need to keep the display on all of the time? Of course, if the clamp doesn't allow access to your power button, then it is a pretty big fail for Android.

If there was an option to dim the display or even go to sleep, with a way to quickly wake it up (Car Home Ultra recently added this feature) then I'd be fine with that. Otherwise, what kind of hoops would you have to jump through to skip/pause/change source/etc with the display turned off, all while avoiding an accident?

Solutions Etcetera

Oct 7, 2012
If there was an option to dim the display or even go to sleep, with a way to quickly wake it up (Car Home Ultra recently added this feature) then I'd be fine with that. Otherwise, what kind of hoops would you have to jump through to skip/pause/change source/etc with the display turned off, all while avoiding an accident?
Well, I am assuming they thought this out, and ran everything by the lawyers as liability can be a big thing with something like this. Of course, it may be half ass (with no one thinking about sleeping/waking the phone) and just put up a universal disclaimer every time you power it on, much like my Eclipse "user interface from hell" in-dash nav head.

Guess will just have to wait and see.

Wade-0

Sep 11, 2007
Ashland, OR
Well, I am assuming they thought this out, and ran everything by the lawyers as liability can be a big thing with something like this. Of course, it may be half ass (with no one thinking about sleeping/waking the phone) and just put up a universal disclaimer every time you power it on, much like my Eclipse "user interface from hell" in-dash nav head.

Guess will just have to wait and see.

Yeah, too light on details to know at this point. But I don't think it would really matter as much on non-AMOLED phones. I'm just wondering if this is tailored more for Xperia phones. If I had all the standard playback controls as physical buttons I'd probably be happy with it. It does look like it might have physical volume buttons, but I can't really tell what the others are for in that tiny pic.

Solutions Etcetera

Oct 7, 2012
Yeah, too light on details to know at this point. But I don't think it would really matter as much on non-AMOLED phones. I'm just wondering if this is tailored more for Xperia phones. If I had all the standard playback controls as physical buttons I'd probably be happy with it. It does look like it might have physical volume buttons, but I can't really tell what the others are for in that tiny pic.
The buttons on the front are source, voice, and volume, and maybe dual purpose (long press) as there are other labels printed next to them. It also comes with a remote for when the phone is not docked.

It is tailored for Sony models as it has the magnetic charging port for them in the cradle. I just hope it was not designed for always on screens. That would be a waste.

murso74

Oct 30, 2010
i will never, ever, ever ,ever EVER buy another sony product again, much less another head unit. i bought one last year that was 1/2 assed at best, and the firmware updates were pathetic. Plus when everyone complained in the forums, they buried the car audio forum in miscellaneous products with all the dead proprietary tech they abandoned. STAY AWAY

Apr 18, 2008
this head unit has potential. i've always wanted to do something with my N7, but this is a close second, and portable.

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 AM ----------

here's a better link with actual product photos:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...sony-xsp-n1bt-android-phone-mount-car-stereo/

Sony-Sony-XSP-N1BT-Smartphone-Cradle-Receiver_2-640x426.jpg

Sony-Sony-XSP-N1BT-Smartphone-Cradle-Receiver_3-640x426.jpg

Sony-Sony-XSP-N1BT-Smartphone-Cradle-Receiver_4-640x426.jpg

i'm wondering if this thing can be modified to fit a tablet!? at the end of the day, it's just the mounting mechanism that gets in the way.

Solutions Etcetera

Oct 7, 2012
I have yet to find a tablet that isn't polarized at 90°. That means it is un-viewable in landscape when driving with polarized sunglasses (which I always use).

Thankfully the Moto X is polarized at 45° and viewable in both portrait and landscape.

Apr 18, 2008
I have yet to find a tablet that isn't polarized at 90°. That means it is un-viewable in landscape when driving with polarized sunglasses (which I always use).

Thankfully the Moto X is polarized at 45° and viewable in both portrait and landscape.
good point. the 7 is def polarized at 90.

i seemed to have had a similar problem with my old DROID1/2/3/4 lines. once i added an anti-glare screen protector, it seemed to correct the issue. i wonder if the same could be accomplished with a tablet or if its too much real estate.

Wade-0

Sep 11, 2007
Ashland, OR
That's kind of cool that it has a small display behind where the phone sits, that kind of resolves one of my concerns about it being totally useless without a phone, and having to uninstall it later when I sell the car.

Those "shelfs" on the top and bottom look like major dust catchers though, that would drive me nuts. The "release" button makes me wonder if the clamping mechanism is motorized? Would be cool if the magnet was strong enough and polarized correctly to trigger the Car Mode on the Moto X too.

Sorry, just thinking out loud...

Apr 18, 2008
That's kind of cool that it has a small display behind where the phone sits, that kind of resolves one of my concerns about it being totally useless without a phone, and having to uninstall it later when I sell the car.

Those "shelfs" on the top and bottom look like major dust catchers though, that would drive me nuts. The "release" button makes me wonder if the clamping mechanism is motorized? Would be cool if the magnet was strong enough and polarized correctly to trigger the Car Mode on the Moto X too.

Sorry, just thinking out loud...
you could always tape/glue a magnet to engage it.

Top Liked Posts