Do you think there will be a Android2.3 Rom for Defy?

Search This thread
If you're talking about an official update it is hard to say...
As you can see, although there are already a few 2.3 phones around, Motorola still delays Defy 2.2 for most of the world.
So... Personally I don't think they're doing this because they wanna jump to 2.3 directly, but because they're concentrating on other things (like Atrix).
So I would rather expect an unofficial 2.3.
Cheers!

Reactions: laoabro

laoabro

Jan 29, 2011
桂林-Guilin
As you can see, although there are already a few 2.3 phones around, Motorola still delays Defy 2.2 for most of the world.
So... Personally I don't think they're doing this because they wanna jump to 2.3 directly, but because they're concentrating on other things (like Atrix).
Cheers!
yeah maybe you are right,official update is hopeless.

ABC_Universal

Jan 30, 2011
Yeah very stupid for moto to tight things up. Just let advanced users playing around, and novice users bricking their phones. They won't get bad rep and would most likely get some extra sales. :p

999phonebug

a true one? probably not unless moto unlocks the bootloader, or it releases one itself (maybe, maybe not, moto ahs a bad reputation on tihs).

the current 2.2 roms are rocking 2.6.32 kernels and official 2.3 should be rocking 2.6.35 kernels.

that being said, one can run a hackish 2.3 rom with 2.6.32 kernels, i *think* it can be done but then it won't be truly 2.3

m11kkaa

Recognized Dev / Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 20, 2011
I don't think they will release official 2.3ROM because they didn't released a final 2.2. I hope, that Moto will officially unlocks the Bootloader to give us more possibilities...

drait

Feb 16, 2011
I really hope that there will be a Gingerbread ROM some time in the future, preferably with the bootloader unlocked rather than the hacks for which I cannot prise the authors enough.

However, the Defy is still a great phone, also with 'just' 2.2 and that is what counts most to me. Who knows what kind of phone € 300 buys you in a year from now :D

Le_Poilu

Dec 9, 2010
le-poilu.whykywa.com
I don't think they will release official 2.3ROM because they didn't released a final 2.2.

Not yet ;)
2.2 upgrade was allways announced for Q2 2011, so they're in the planning.

After that, who knows. They may offer 2.3 after 6 month or more (when 2.4 is release on they high-end phone) But I really don't expect for that today.

For me the Defy will stay on 2.2 for Motorola. The only hope it an unlocked bootlooader (officially or not)

spamnco

Jan 2, 2011
Same here, Defy is a 2.2 device, period. A bootloader unlock would let us use 2.3 or higher but I doubt Motorola will spend more money on a new official update. Let's hope they will actually release a 2.2 ROM in a few months (the South American market should get its froYo within a month according to their schedule).

Bendary

Jan 11, 2010
Well after the editorial of chris ziegler of engadget about motoblur they better off kill motoblur.

darule_2011

Feb 5, 2011
Nashville, TN
Lazy journalism, pointing out the obvious.
The fact he once thought Blur was good says it all IMO.

Anyway, if Motorola haven't listened to feedback from their customers, why would one blogger's opinion sway them?

tru dat. One review or a few posts won't sway M, however, a flood of consistant calls from customers might. To the phones :D

On the other hand, I did speak with tmous yesterday and they said the 2.2 which is supposed to be release 'real soon' is going to be a higher end 2.2 version...whatever that means, not even the rep had a clue what that meant but I suppose that is what they are told to say.

dirtbaghh

Feb 17, 2011
i really do believe that 2.2 froyo update will come .. but 2.3 gingerbread ? nah i dont think so ... motorola is not really known for it's updates ..but if it comes my defy will be very happy to grab it ...

aaatoel

Jan 17, 2011
Motorola has already announced a Froyo update soon and I cant wait for that. Moto's history with updates and the locked bootloader doesn't give us much to hope for, but let's keep our fingers crossed! It would be amazing though!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    with bootloader locked?

Simply and definitly NO...

With a unlocked bootloader, maybe :p
    Cheers!