[Q] Fastboot and locking problems

Search This thread

mikeydubbs

Dec 2, 2011
London, ON
hey so i need to send my nexus s in for repair and i have stock rom and recovery, but every time i try fastboot oem lock it just sits at "waiting for device"
ADB works fine.
I tried alternative drivers

What can i do to re lock my phone?:confused:

Harbb

Dec 20, 2011
Sydney
Are you in the bootloader? (Phone off -> Vol. Up + Power -> fastboot oem lock).

Also, does the command "fastboot devices" show your device?

anglergab

Apr 14, 2012
Budapest
The USB connector socket at the phone might not make a proper contact with the USB plug. Make sure they connect properly. You may try another cable, or have a look at your USB socket and compare it to another. Check out particularly the little horizontal part in the USB socket.

Make sure you're in bootloader/fastboot mode before attempting to connect in fastboot. Fastboot cannot detect your phone, make sure your udev related settings are appropriate. Check on a Linux PC: https://source.android.com/source/initializing.html Configuring USB Access section.

If after this your phone will not be recognized by fastboot, please post the output of the following command (as root), after seconds after connecting the phone in fastboot mode:
Code:
tail /var/log/messages

Harbb

Dec 20, 2011
Sydney
If drivers are properly installed this might not be working because the power button is stuck in or something. Not sure what to try to sort it out if that's the case.

bjuderas

Apr 14, 2012
hey so i need to send my nexus s in for repair and i have stock rom and recovery, but every time i try fastboot oem lock it just sits at "waiting for device"
ADB works fine.

1 - Boot your phone into fastboot mode.
2 - open cmd in your pc.
3 - write: cd \"name of the file where your fastboot is in your pc", and then press enter.
4 - write: fastboot oem lock
5 - press enter and it's done! ;)

dirt

Jun 14, 2009
SC
have you tried using a different usb port on your pc?

sent from my dark iced, skanky, t11 infused ns4g

shahravi94

Sep 3, 2011
i sent my phone in for a broken power button as well. I couldn't even get into the bootloader to relock it so i sent it with an unlocked bootloader. they still fixed it.

TransientFukitsu

Jun 5, 2014
ADB works fine.

Hi, I know this thread is old but I was having the same problem relocking my nexus 4 after installing stock Android 4.4.3 KitKat.
I'm using Nexus Root Toolkit, I don't know what tools you're using to lock your nexus S boblem ut this very easy to use it downloads the drivers and what ever you need to lock, unlock or flash stock and custom roms for any Nexus device.

So my problem was that I would launch OEM Lock on Nexus Root Toolkit and it would detect the device, reboot in Fastboot mode and it would proceed just fine but after saying "Launching TWRP.... something" it would reboot the phone and say to me "Waiting for device" untill it would time out.

I found out that when the program(NEXUS ROOT TOOLKIT) asked me to download a TWRP IMG files, I said no everytime because I didn't think I'd need it. So after trying 5 times, I allowed it to download it and i retryed to OEM Lock it and MAGIC!
Somewhere in the process of Locking the rom it is going to need the TWRP File so allowing the program to download it solved it for me.

I don't know if this will help you or if you still have the same phone, but if you do have use Nexus Root Toolkit and download all it asks and you'll be fine.

Good Luck.

positiveplus

Jul 2, 2014
"waiting for device" forever when "fastboot oem unlock:

ADB works fine.

I have the same exact problem.

ADB works fine when the phone is up & running, so I am suspecting a driver compatibility problem when the phone is in "FASTBOOT MODE".

I tried to install the "Universal Naked Driver 0.73 (Compatible with Nexus 5, 4, 7, 10 and S)" but Windows 7 64-bit refuses to pick it up. I use the Device Manager method which shows (when the phone is in "FASTBOOT MODE"):

Code:
 "Other Devices
     > Android 1.0"
When the phone is up & running, Device Manager shows it as:

Code:
"Android USB Devices 
 > SAMSUNG Android Composite ADB Interface"

Any idea how to proceed from here?

-----

Update: After a day went by, I searched Google some more and found a thread that describes exactly my problem:

http://xdaforums.com/nexus-s/help/nexus-s-root-windows-requests-android-1-t878579

Which led me to:

http://xdaforums.com/nexus-s/general/guide-unlock-bootloader-nexus-s-t875580/post9861928#post9861928

Which led me to:

http://pdanet.co/a/

I am rushing to try this now...

-------

Success!

~> fastboot oem unlock
OKAY [ 18.734s]
finished. total time: 18.734s

Last edited:
R

Raakib Zargar

ADB works fine.

Well before trying to Relock the device see whether its connected or not. Type this command fastboot devices and hit enter see whether it shows some no. As in a reply if not that means the deivce isnt connected. If the device is connected type this command to relock your device fastboot oem lock and hit enter. Check on your device screen The Lock status will be changed to LOCKED. ;)

If Helped Click Thanks

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

ADB works fine.

Well before trying to Relock the device see whether its connected or not. Type this command fastboot devices and hit enter see whether it shows some no. As in a reply if not that means the deivce isnt connected. If the device is connected type this command to relock your device fastboot oem lock and hit enter. Check on your device screen The Lock status will be changed to LOCKED. ;)

If Helped Click Thanks :p