[ROOT] Root Samsung Galaxy S4 with Motochopper

Search This thread

djrbliss

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 24, 2011
A recent root exploit I published for Motorola devices, Motochopper, should do the trick for rooting the Qualcomm-based variants of the Samsung Galaxy S4, including the AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile branded models.

Download the exploit here:
http://vulnfactory.org/public/motochopper.zip

Instructions:

1. Extract the entire contents of the zip file.
  2. If you are using Windows, ensure you have installed the latest Samsung USB drivers available for your phone.
  3. Ensure USB Debugging mode is enabled on your device.
  4. Connect your device to your PC via USB.
  5. If you are using Windows, navigate to the extracted directory and execute "run.bat". If you are using Linux or OS X, navigate to the extracted directory in a terminal and execute "./run.sh".
  6. Approve the ADB connection from your PC on your device.

Warning:
At this point, since there are no custom recoveries or stock images available, it may not be possible to repair your device should you accidentally break it. Please be aware of this before performing any modifications to your phone.

As always, future OTA updates may remove the ability to regain root access, so proceed with caution when updating. Enjoy!

Paypal:
http://goo.gl/zBGb0

Last edited:

djrbliss

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 24, 2011
debugging is on, installed usb drivers and im on Win7 64bit.

Device manager shows ADB driver installation too...

Sorry about that, just needed to update the version of ADB I was including. It should work fine now. Try downloading a fresh copy from the same link and trying again.

I've updated the instructions to mention that you will need to approve the ADB connection from your PC on the device.

phositadc

May 7, 2010
Can a custom recovery now be installed using something like goo manager, or do we need unlocked bootloader for that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

mattdm

Dec 31, 2011
Yes! Thank you! I was going to wait until a viable root method came along before picking up my AT&T S4...now I don't have to wait at all.

By the way, you may want to start another thread in the AT&T S4 forums. People over there may not come to this forum all that often.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A recent root exploit I published for Motorola devices, Motochopper, should do the trick for rooting the Qualcomm-based variants of the Samsung Galaxy S4, including the AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile branded models.

Download the exploit here:
    http://vulnfactory.org/public/motochopper.zip

Instructions:

1. Extract the entire contents of the zip file.
    2. If you are using Windows, ensure you have installed the latest Samsung USB drivers available for your phone.
    3. Ensure USB Debugging mode is enabled on your device.
    4. Connect your device to your PC via USB.
    5. If you are using Windows, navigate to the extracted directory and execute "run.bat". If you are using Linux or OS X, navigate to the extracted directory in a terminal and execute "./run.sh".
    6. Approve the ADB connection from your PC on your device.

Warning:
    At this point, since there are no custom recoveries or stock images available, it may not be possible to repair your device should you accidentally break it. Please be aware of this before performing any modifications to your phone.

As always, future OTA updates may remove the ability to regain root access, so proceed with caution when updating. Enjoy!

Paypal:
    http://goo.gl/zBGb0
    i cant find the development options for this phone, UGHH any help guys lol

Go to System Settings --> About Phone and tap several times on Build Number.
    debugging is on, installed usb drivers and im on Win7 64bit.

Device manager shows ADB driver installation too...

Sorry about that, just needed to update the version of ADB I was including. It should work fine now. Try downloading a fresh copy from the same link and trying again.

I've updated the instructions to mention that you will need to approve the ADB connection from your PC on the device.
    I tried to send a PM to @djrbliss but he has it disabled.

CASUAL handles Windows, Linux, and Mac in a single Java JAR. you can open it up and go into the /SCRIPTS/ folder then open the SCR to see your code rewritten in CASUAL format.

The benefeit of CASUAL scripting is that it performs troubleshooting for the user

Download http://d-h.st/64i

33o475s.png

Anyway, i always rewrite in CASUAL format because its more useful to have a single file that works on all platforms rather than a zip file that has differences for each.
    Although I love that this was found...part of me feels it should be in the other dev section...as this method isnt exactpy "original" its a methid for a different phone that just so happens to work...just my .02

Anyways as I already stated edtremly greatful...nice to have root again

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Its more original than anything else that will be in this forum. djrbliss is the originating other of the exploit, and the person that located the vulnerability used.