[RC-FAQ] >> Frequently Asked Questions for Motorola Moto G [Updated : 2015/09/23]

Search This thread

matmutant

Mar 17, 2011
~/
andrux-and-me.blogspot.com
Moto G
Moto E
[RC-FAQ] >> Frequently Asked Questions for Motorola Moto G [Updated : 2015/09/23]

[SIZE=+3]Frequently Asked Questions[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+2] Motorola Moto G

motorola-google.jpg
[/SIZE]

Read Before Asking Please

[SIZE=+1]This a short list of frequently asked questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. Please only post in this thread with feedback on how to improve this document. Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own. Do not use this as a general help thread.[/SIZE]

To Browse quickly the FAQ and find what you need, Ctrl+F is the key feature ;)
You may search in Motorola help topics too

Table of content :

Refer to :

THIS FAQ IS MADE FOR Moto G 'old' editions (NOT FOR 4G/LTE MODEL or 2d Gen [aka 2014])

Last edited:

matmutant

Mar 17, 2011
~/
Moto G
Moto E
FAQ

[SIZE=+1]Q1: What are Moto G tech specs ?[/SIZE]
The Motorola Moto G is named XT1032/XT1033/XT1034/XT1035/... aka Falcon

XT1028: Verizon US CDMA - 8GB/16GB
XT1031: Boost US CDMA - 8GB/16GB
XT1032: EU/Global GSM/GPe - 8GB/16GB. (GPe = Google Play edition)
XT1033: Brazil - 8GB/16GB (Colors Edition) (Dual Sim) + Moto G (Music edition) (Dual Sim) (16GB Only)
XT1034: US GSM - 8GB/16GB.
XT1035: Brazil - 8GB/16GB (Colors Edition) (Unconfirmed)

Moto G 4G/LTE aka peregrine : ==> /!\ Roms made for standard edition (non-4G) are not compatible with these devices!
XT1045: Moto 4G - 8GB
XT1039: Moto 4G - 8GB UK/EU
XT1040: Moto 4G - 8GB Brazil
Complete specifications available in @Perseus71 Guide or @Mr hOaX Tips and Tricks thread

[SIZE=+1]Q2: What is the .................................................. .................................................. ....?[/SIZE]
[...]​

[SIZE=+1]Q3: Why doesn't the LED work ?[/SIZE]
maybe you disabled LED on you older device (or it didn't even have one) setting up you google account disabled the LED on you new Motot G use Notification Light Widget From Motorola to fix this issue (more info)​

[SIZE=+1]Q4: How to access Fastboot?[/SIZE]
Hold PowerButton and VolDown during boot.

[SIZE=+1]Q5: How to unlock Bootloader?[/SIZE]
Boot to Fastboot and follow this guide
or Motorola guide on Motorola's website

[SIZE=+1]Q6: How do i get adb and fastboot drivers ?[/SIZE]
For windows, follow this guide or this one
although, it seems Motorola Device Manager works ok for win7x86-32 (but not for win7x64-64?) i cannot answer this i'm under linux
other USB drivers if first method failed, source
For Linux, get fastboot files here also, adb and fastboot can be installed using repos for ubuntu-based distros packages needed are : android-tools-adb and android-tools-fastboot (android-tools-fsutils may be useful too)
eg:
Code:
sudo apt-get install android-tools-fastboot

[SIZE=+1]Q7: How to flash Stock Firmware?[/SIZE]
For windows, follow this guide or this video
The above is for non-4G devices, for Moto G 4G version refer to this thread

[SIZE=+1]Q8: How to Root my device ?[/SIZE]
Until now,you first need to unkock your bootloader,
Option 1 : then follow this guide [original thread - on MoDaCo]
Option 2 : via a customized recovery [original thread, on MoDaCo]
The first method is recommended as it doesn't mess with the recovery. But the second is there as a backup. ;)
==> Option 1 seems not to work properly for some users, in that case : Try Both.
After you get root, please read Q19

[SIZE=+1]Q9: Why dosen't my .apk get installed manually?[/SIZE]

Until i get a better solution, here are some workaround :
  1. Check you've enabled Unknown sources (settings>security>unknown sources)

If you did so, there are some workaround :
  2. At the phone first set-up (you may need to factory-reset to get that) - When Motorola assistant asks for data safety (just before the Google accounts question comes up), don't click accept, but tap on "data safety guidelines" and tick both settings to off. Then accept.
  3. Use adb :
    Code:
    adb install packagename.apk
  4. Use google drive to download the app (gdrive has an antivirus scanner that checks the app, since then it is considered as "safe" for the device and is correctly installed
  5. other workaround

[SIZE=+1]Q10: Where can i find a Custom recovery ?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Q11: How to access bootloader?[/SIZE]
- Via ADB :
Code:
adb reboot bootloader

- The hard(ware) way :
  1. With the phone powered off, press the VOL DOWN KEY for 2-3 seconds then POWER key then release.
  2. The device will display different BOOT OPTIONS
  3. Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL to Recovery and VOL UP Key to select

[SIZE=+1]Q12: How to access recovery?[/SIZE]
  1. using terminal, if the device is already rooted
    Code:
    su
    reboot recovery
  2. via adb
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery
  3. via bootloader
    boot to bootloader (see Q11) and select recovery (use Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL to Recovery and VOL UP Key to select)

4. via external app

[SIZE=+1]Q13: How to force reboot my frozen device?[/SIZE]
  • Press and hold the Power button for 10 - 20 seconds, the device will restart and go through the boot-up sequence [source]
  • (VOL DOWN hold + a quick tap on POWER should force reboot when in bootloader) [source]

[SIZE=+1]Q14: How to charge my device and extend battery life?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Q15: Does rooting/unlocking your phone invalidate its warranty? (In EU)[/SIZE]
In short: No. Just the fact that you modified or changed the software of your device, is not a sufficient reason to void your statutory warranty. As long as you have bought the device as a consumer in the European Union.
[source]​

[SIZE=+1]Q16: What to do if my battery is fully discharged and not re-charging?[/SIZE]
Motorola said:
If your battery is completely discharged, it may take several minutes for the device to begin charging. The battery needs to charge to a minimum voltage before the system can boot up, and this may take a few moments to achieve.
You may have experienced the 'sudden battery drop' : go to Q25 [source]
Also refer to Moto G will not power up (Q28)​

[SIZE=+1]Q17: OMG i really bricked my device... Any chance getting it back to life ?[/SIZE]
If your device is apparently dead, and does not look like a phone when connected to PC, then have a look at this guide by @Boss442

[SIZE=+1]Q18: How to flash Stock Radio (aka Baseband) / Kernel and why?[/SIZE]
Flashing the latest Radio may help if you have problems with poor signal or wifi coverage. Flashing the SS (Single Sim) radio on a Dual Sim device may cause one or both Sims to stop working. Likewise, flashing the radio from a non-CDMA device to a CDMA one, is a very bad idea.

Flashing a newer / different Radio or Kernel may improve battery-life and general performance

ClockWorkMod Recovery or TWRP is required to flash these images.

[SIZE=+1]Q19: Lost IMEI ? : How to backup / restore PDS partition and why?[/SIZE]
On Motorola devices the 'pds' partition contains information specific to your machine: IMEI, MAC address, serial number, etc. This partition can be lost by accidental format or over time due to filesystem corruption. If you have made a backup, there is a good chance you can bring your handset back to life.

==> PDS backup will help to restore lost IMEI. It is a situation when the phone reports that the IMEI is unknown. ; This works like a vaccine, apply before having issue with IMEI, after it will be too late !

Instructions:
**Root Required**

Using ADB you can make a copy of the partition and move it to a safe place (Google Drive?):
adb shell
su
dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/pds of=/sdcard/pds.img​

To restore in the event of corruption or loss:
adb shell
su
dd if=/sdcard/pds.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/pds​
(assuming you've pushed pds.img to internal SDcard storage first)

If for some reason this doesn't work, maybe your IMEI isn't destroyed but only not "readable" by system (file system issue? misread cluster reading frame ? no idea), in that case you may read the following story : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=52648789

[SIZE=+1]Q20: HOw to disable/enable auto On/Off screen with Flip Shell?[/SIZE]

• for stock rom : (disabling, since it's enabled by default)

• for CM11: (enabling, since it doesn't work by default)
Follow this FAQ

[SIZE=+1]Q21: how to remove the 'unlocked warning' message?[/SIZE]
Follow @ffosilva method and default Motorola logo will be back :)

[SIZE=+1]Q22: Why and How convert Moto G GPe to non-GPe ?[/SIZE]
GPe uses EXT4 for it's 'userdata' filesystem, non-GPe uses f2fs. The GPe kernel expects an EXT4 partition and gives an encryption error if there isn't one. So just flashing a custom ROM won't work on GPe.​

Converting a GPe MOTO G to a non-GPe Moto G:
(we would need someone to approve this method, and if you made it a different way, please, tell us)
1) Fastboot flash retail US XT1032 stock firmware found here:

2) This will wipe the device, replace GPe kernel and radio with stock non-GPe versions and create a new partition table with f2fs filesystem for 'userdata.'

3) Custom ROMs will now work and as will all Motorola Moto G apps.​

[SIZE=+1]Q23: How to reboot into 'safe mode'?[/SIZE]

Press power button, on the pop up, either keep pressing 'shut down' [stock] or 'reboot' [AOSP based]
more infos about this feature

[SIZE=+1]Q24: How to keep backups on my 8GB device without loosing space?[/SIZE]

To backup :
  • Use a micro USB-OTG adapter and a USB-storage
  • boot to recovery
  • go to backup and storage > backup to /storage/usbdisk
  • wait (it is really slower than when done to /sdcard ==> especially when generating md5sum!)
  • reboot your system
To restore your backup :
  • Use a micro USB-OTG adapter and the USB-storage where the backup is located
  • boot to recovery
  • go to backup and storage > restore from /storage/usbdisk
  • wait (it is really slower than when done to /sdcard)
  • reboot your system

Enjoy !
You now have a way to keep all your backups, without over flooding your device's storage ! (make sure you won't loose the external storage and keep it safe!)

[SIZE=+1]Q25: Abrupt Drop Battery Issue (Battery suddenly drops to 0%)[/SIZE]

Description: This issue appears to affect all versions of Moto G; while some people never experience it, others have it frequently. Most likely to occur when tethering / using USB cable. Android versions 4.3 and 4.4.2 are vulnerable.

Solution: Issue fixed in Android 4.4.3.

Kirk Stromberg said:
If anyone else experiences this abrupt drop on your Moto G *after* updating to 4.4.3, we'll need your serial number/IMEI for further investigation and may need to be in more direct contact. Please send an email to:

supportforums@motorola.com

- with the title "Abrupt Drop" and
-include your serial number (Settings>About Phone>Status) and
- note to please forward to me (Kirk Stromberg).

We'll obviously keep working this here in the forums as well but want to isolate anyone still having this on 4.4.3, especially if it is repeats with some frequency. I know it is reproducible fairly reliably for some of you (tethering/USB cable).

[SIZE=+1]Q26: Isssues with MMS on boost mobile with Moto G ?[/SIZE]

Apply the following changes :
apns-config.xml
Code:
<apn carrier="Boost Mobile" mcc="311" mnc="870" apn="n.boost.ispsn"
mmsproxy="68.28.31.7" mmsport="80" mmsc="http://mm.myboostmobile.com"
type="default,supl,mms,fota,dun" carrier_enabled="false" protocol="IPV4V6"
roaming_protocol="IPV4V6" bearer="13" />

build.prop
Code:
ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric=311870
ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha=Boost Mobile
ro.telephony.default_network=13
telephony.slteOnCdmaDevice=1

get more here

[SIZE=+1]Q27: Miracast / TV Screen-mirroring / DNLA app not working?[/SIZE]

Description: Android 4.4.2 added a 'Settings > Display > Cast screen' (Miracast) option, but it does not function - missing settings menu.

Solution: (Root Required)
This feature now works correctly with Android 4.4.3. However, you still need to enable the 'Cast screen' settings menu by adding the following line (if not already present) to /system/build.prop:
persist.debug.wfd.enable=1​

For quick access to the feature, install: Miracast Widget.

Additionally, 4.4.3 improves compatibility with Allcast and BubbleUPnP, along with other DNLA apps that did not operate correctly in 4.4.2

Simultaneous Internet connection and Screen-mirroring is not possible in Stock Motorola Firmware 4.4.3 or 4.4.4. This may change with a future update or with the release of Android 'L.' Most Custom ROMs do however support this ability.

The utility SecondScreen (root required) allows Moto G's screen resolution to be easily changed when Screen-mirroring - e.g. 720p or 1080p. The app has several additional features such as turning the phone's screen off and disabling haptic feedback in order to save battery usage while Screen-mirroring.​

[SIZE=+1]Q28: Moto G will not power up (addition to Q16 and Q25)[/SIZE]

1. Plug it into the charger
  2. Hold the VOL DOWN key
  3. While still holding the VOL DOWN key, press and hold the POWER key
  4. Hold both keys down for over 120 seconds. This is more than two minutes and will seem like a long time. You might want to time yourself to make sure you hold it longer than two minutes.
  5. After holding the keys down for more than two minutes, release them.
  6. The Flash Boot screen will display, and the Normal Reboot option will be highlighted
  7. Press the VOL UP key and the device will start a normal reboot.

If you have tried the above and it didn't work, try this:

• Plug in the phone for 15 minutes.
  • Proceed to Step 2 above.
Source: https://forums.motorola.com/posts/3d5eadc25d

[SIZE=+1]Q29: 4.4.3 / 4.4.4 update issues[/SIZE]
If after getting the update to 4.4.3 / 4.4.4 you encounter some problem, there are several options:

App-specific issues: Some apps may simply not be compatible with the latest version of Android and you have to wait until they are. You could always mention it to the App developer via Google Play.

Anything else: Could be solved be doing a Factory reset: (Back up anything important!)
Setting > Backup & reset > Factory data reset (erase all data on phone)​

The best and cleanest way to get to 4.4.4 from a previous version of Android; is to Fastboot flash a Motorola Stock Factory Firmware Image. This can avoid any potential issues that may arise when upgrading via an Over the Air (OTA) update. Also see: "Q7: How to flash Stock Firmware?" in this FAQ.

Stock Factory Firmware Images are available here:

When new images are available they are announced here:

[SIZE=+1]Q30: i encounter '(bootloader) Preflash validation failed' error message when flashing Firmware Image[/SIZE]
You may have updated to Android 4.4.4 via firmware image or OTA update. In this case you now also have the latest version of the Bootloader. That is why you get the above output when attempting to flash a 4.4.2 firmware image. ==> simply flash 4.4.4 images instead.
If the error still occurs, even with a 4.4.4 firmware image, then unlocking bootloader will be necessary.​

[SIZE=+1]Q31: Various way to fine tune your Moto[/SIZE]
Greenify : prevent unwanted apps from awaking device or runing in background (works on both rooted and not devices, but best performances are with rooted+Xposed.
MinFree settings : if you think the moto G (4.4.4) is too aggressive about killing apps to free memory so that you can't switch between two large apps without it killing one app and restarting it. then try tuning MinFree settings, rooted devices only.

[SIZE=+1]Q32: What can i do with my Notification LED?[/SIZE]
Actually your device has 2 LEDs [source] and here is how to play with it : http://xdaforums.com/moto-g/development/led-moto-g-led-custom-controls-t2951463

it can be used as a eMMC activity monitoring, or for charging or USB connected!​

[SIZE=+1]Q33: Spare space needed? using /cache partition[/SIZE]
Moving /data/dalvik-cache to /cache/dalvik-cache to use the 600MB of /cache for something useful
==> only using Dalvik.
==> http://xdaforums.com/moto-g/general/mod-save-data-space-cache-partition-t2942765 (by @Bert98)​

[SIZE=+1]Q34: How can I add init.d Support to Stock ROM without using a Custom Kernel?[/SIZE]
This can be done by adding the following to: /system/etc/init.qcom.post_boot.sh
Code:
# init.d support
busybox run-parts /system/etc/init.d/
Busybox also required. (Don't know what it is? search a little, it won't hurt you ;)

[SIZE=+1]Q35: I reduced brightness to 0 and got stuck with a black screen?[/SIZE]
This appears to be a bug in 'Adaptive brightness.' Turning it off and on should stop this happening.
If you are in this situation, try shining a torch light on the screen at an angle to make out the very dim display. You can also try swiping down the 'quick toggle' notification menu and changing brightness via the sliding bar. [Source]​

[SIZE=+1]Q36: I flashed a ROM and GPS has stopped working?[/SIZE]
  • Flash this 'no-GPS' fix zip via custom recovery.
  • Alternatively, enter Fastboot mode and type the following commands:
    Code:
    fastboot erase modemst1
    fastboot erase modemst2

[SIZE=+1]Q37: How can i update my bootloader ?[/SIZE]
Understand the risks and simply choose between an automated process (for Windows users only) or the step by step one (for Linux users mainly) here

[SIZE=+1]Q35: [?][/SIZE]
[...]​

[...]​

[...]​
*​

This FAQ is part of a Recognized Contributor Group Initiative. Please look for a similar FAQ thread when visiting another device forum.
A special thanks to everyone who contributed to the production of this FAQ

Last edited:

matmutant

Mar 17, 2011
~/
Moto G
Moto E
some usefull lines of commands for any user wanting to know what's going on:

requirements :
  • On Windows : install Moto G drivers and
  • On Linux : set your rules following that guide (3. Set up your system to detect your device.) : add to /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules the following code
    Code:
    #motog normal mode
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="22b8", ATTR{idProduct}==”2e82″, MODE="0666"
    #motog debug mode
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="22b8", ATTR{idProduct}==”2e76″, MODE="0666"
    #motog fastboot mode
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="22b8", ATTR{idProduct}==”2e80″, MODE="0666"
    For specific access by one group of users, add GROUP="[groupname]"

Let's start ! :
  • in terminal, just type the lines,
  • in ADB, add "adb" before the commands
  • if you want not to display the output in terminal, specify the path :
    Code:
    command > /where_you_want_your_output_to_be_stored/name_you_want_for_the_log

to know if KSM is really turned on : KSM means Kernel Samepage Merging, may not exist on Moto G stock or custom roms
Code:
cat /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/run

to know what modules are running :
Code:
lsmod

install an app from terminal :
Code:
pm install /sdcard/app1.apk
from adb :
Code:
adb install /home/user/app1.apk
(if your .apk is located there :p)

your kernel crashed?
Code:
cat /proc/last_kmsg
ex : from adb, and stored in /home/user/last_kmsg1
Code:
adb cat /proc/last_kmsg > /home/user/last_kmsg1

an app crashed, you want to know why?
Code:
logcat
ex : from adb and stored in /home/user/myfirstlogever
Code:
adb logcat > /home/user/myfirstlogever

don't have an USB cable ?or adb "other the air" :
connect to your home wifi network (both device and pc)
in settings/dev options/ enable adb on TCP/IP
Code:
adb connect xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5555
(the IP is the one displayed in the option you choose previously :)
and then, since it is connected, catch the log :
Code:

All commands and syntax used for ADB can be found here

More is coming ;)
enjoy !

Last edited:

matmutant

Mar 17, 2011
~/
Moto G
Moto E
Unlocking Bootloader

Code:
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
/*
* Your warranty is now void.
* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
* YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
* you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
*/

>>> Unlocking Bootloader will overwrite any data stored on your device, backup your files before proceeding <<<

For 4.4.2, an updated guide is available here

For real GPe devices (not ones with a GPe ROM added on it after the purchase), NO code is needed, simply skip to "3. Unlock"

1- Register to Motorola website

2- get your Device ID
  • Put your device in fastboot mode (power off, then press the power and volume down buttons simultaneously).
  • On your desktop, open a command prompt or terminal, and go to the directory where you installed the Android SDK tools (or make sure fastboot is in your $PATH)
  • At the prompt, type
Code:
$ fastboot oem get_unlock_data
  • The returned string will be used to retrieve your unlock key.
Example: On a Windows Desktop, the returned string format would be
Code:
 (bootloader) 0A40040192024205#4C4D3556313230
 (bootloader) 30373731363031303332323239#BD00
 (bootloader) 8A672BA4746C2CE02328A2AC0C39F95
 (bootloader) 1A3E5#1F53280002000000000000000
 (bootloader) 0000000

On a Mac OS Desktop, the returned string format would be
Code:
INFO0A40040192024205#4C4D3556313230
 INFO30373731363031303332323239#BD00
 INFO8A672BA4746C2CE02328A2AC0C39F95
 INFO1A3E5#1F53280002000000000000000
 INFO0000000

Paste together the 5 lines of output into one continuous string without (bootloader) or ‘INFO’ or white spaces. Your string needs to look like this:
Code:
0A40040192024205#4C4D355631323030373731363031303332323239#BD008A672BA4746C2CE02328A2AC0C39F951A3E5#1F532800020000000000000000000000

3- Unlock
  • Check if your device can be unlocked by pasting this string in the pecific field on the Motorola website, and clicking “Can my device be unlocked?”
  • NOTE: If your device is unlockable, a "REQUEST UNLOCK KEY" button will now appear at the bottom of that page.
  • after you got the code type the following :
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock <code>
    or for GPe devices :
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
    and wait your device to reboot !

4- Enjoy ;)

5- to relock, (pointless, isn't it?)
First you'll need a stock firmware for your specific device [make sure the device number is the right one at least...]
Then follow these steps:
  1. Open the zip
  2. Find 'flashfile.xml'
  3. Make sure to check integrity of EACH img/bin files in the stock firmware zip before proceeding (to do that, look at the flashfile.xml)
    e.g.:
    Code:
        <step MD5="daae9a555a3789558ee44f9e1fddc8c5" filename="gpt.bin" operation="flash" partition="partition"/>
    check that gpt.bin MD5 is really daae9a555a3789558ee44f9e1fddc8c5 and has not been corrupted during download/unpacking
  4. Prepare your device (boot to fastboot) and start relocking:
    Code:
    fastboot oem lock begin
  5. Flash in the order:
    Code:
    mfastboot flash partition gpt.bin
    mfastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
    mfastboot flash logo logo.bin
    mfastboot flash boot boot.img
    mfastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    mfastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0 // note that you may have more or less sparsechunks, FLASH THEM ALL
    mfastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1 // alternatively the files could be named system.img_sparsechunk[1-3] instead
    mfastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
    mfastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.3
    mfastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    mfastboot erase modemst1 
    mfastboot erase modemst2 
    mfastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
    mfastboot erase cache
    mfastboot erase userdata
  6. Finish relocking:
    Code:
    mfastboot oem lock
  7. Done!

Last edited:

toby913

i don't know, but if the community is cool, calm, willing to work and contribute, thankful and "not flaming people that try to build something" then maybe there will be some devs coming for some work around here ;)

well then i'll ask differently do you think that the device needs something like a custom-rom or kernel?
what do you think generally about it?

matmutant

Mar 17, 2011
~/
Moto G
Moto E
well then i'll ask differently do you think that the device needs something like a custom-rom or kernel?
what do you think generally about it?

With custom kernels (they generaly are better optimised than stock) we'll get overclock (some extra performance but mostly useless) ; Undervolt (extremely efficient for getting higher battery life when the device is idle ie: nearly no drain in deep sleep contrary to non undervolted device) ; other IO shedulers (that can give better perf in IO : i made some work about this on my old device see here and here and many otehr cool features.

With Custom roms like CM, PA, AOKP, PAC ... we'll get many features as personalizations, theming, performances settings... and many things you could get on stock rooted rom + Xposed, but that's better when things are in the code ;)

But at first, i mean when a kernel/rom is young we'll get instabilities, crashes, maybe some soft bricks : That's the price for cool and fully working Customs :cool:

All is based on what you want :
stability (mostly) and simpleness = stay on stock :)
performance, long lasting battery, fully optimised kernel, extra features, BUT instabilities or littles crashes/drawback = go on Customs ;)

Rusty!

Jan 10, 2010
Portsmouth
I'm summing adb in the same location as the apk, or (as I have it) in the path.

Also unlocking your bootloader does still void your warranty, it's only the developer versions that it doesn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: matmutant

matmutant

Mar 17, 2011
~/
Moto G
Moto E
you should remove that part its confusing and unneeded.

also what is falcon_umts

can you or anyone with the device pull the build.prop and post it here.

Ok, removed.

about falcon_umts : i don't know, but Falcon was one of Motorola's series (i1 was part of the Falson series) but Moto G is part of the XT series ... maybe a codename ; and UMTS is a network system based on GSM

is that what you wanted ?

edit : regarding the build.prop, Falcon is MotoG codename :)

Last edited:

Dark Passenger

Apr 18, 2012
Pune
Ok, removed.

about falcon_umts : i don't know, but Falcon was one of Motorola's series (i1 was part of the Falson series) but Moto G is part of the XT series ... maybe a codename ; and UMTS is a network system based on GSM

is that what you wanted ?

kind of though it would be awesome if you could attach your build.prop here

adb pull

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    FAQ

[SIZE=+1]Q1: What are Moto G tech specs ?[/SIZE]
    The Motorola Moto G is named XT1032/XT1033/XT1034/XT1035/... aka Falcon

XT1028: Verizon US CDMA - 8GB/16GB
    XT1031: Boost US CDMA - 8GB/16GB
    XT1032: EU/Global GSM/GPe - 8GB/16GB. (GPe = Google Play edition)
    XT1033: Brazil - 8GB/16GB (Colors Edition) (Dual Sim) + Moto G (Music edition) (Dual Sim) (16GB Only)
    XT1034: US GSM - 8GB/16GB.
    XT1035: Brazil - 8GB/16GB (Colors Edition) (Unconfirmed)

Moto G 4G/LTE aka peregrine : ==> /!\ Roms made for standard edition (non-4G) are not compatible with these devices!
    XT1045: Moto 4G - 8GB
    XT1039: Moto 4G - 8GB UK/EU
    XT1040: Moto 4G - 8GB Brazil
    Complete specifications available in @Perseus71 Guide or @Mr hOaX Tips and Tricks thread

[SIZE=+1]Q2: What is the .................................................. .................................................. ....?[/SIZE]
    [...]​

[SIZE=+1]Q3: Why doesn't the LED work ?[/SIZE]
    maybe you disabled LED on you older device (or it didn't even have one) setting up you google account disabled the LED on you new Motot G use Notification Light Widget From Motorola to fix this issue (more info)​

[SIZE=+1]Q4: How to access Fastboot?[/SIZE]
    Hold PowerButton and VolDown during boot.

[SIZE=+1]Q5: How to unlock Bootloader?[/SIZE]
    Boot to Fastboot and follow this guide
    or Motorola guide on Motorola's website

[SIZE=+1]Q6: How do i get adb and fastboot drivers ?[/SIZE]
    For windows, follow this guide or this one
    although, it seems Motorola Device Manager works ok for win7x86-32 (but not for win7x64-64?) i cannot answer this i'm under linux
    other USB drivers if first method failed, source
    For Linux, get fastboot files here also, adb and fastboot can be installed using repos for ubuntu-based distros packages needed are : android-tools-adb and android-tools-fastboot (android-tools-fsutils may be useful too)
    eg:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install android-tools-fastboot

[SIZE=+1]Q7: How to flash Stock Firmware?[/SIZE]
    For windows, follow this guide or this video
    The above is for non-4G devices, for Moto G 4G version refer to this thread

[SIZE=+1]Q8: How to Root my device ?[/SIZE]
    Until now,you first need to unkock your bootloader,
    Option 1 : then follow this guide [original thread - on MoDaCo]
    Option 2 : via a customized recovery [original thread, on MoDaCo]
    The first method is recommended as it doesn't mess with the recovery. But the second is there as a backup. ;)
    ==> Option 1 seems not to work properly for some users, in that case : Try Both.
    After you get root, please read Q19

[SIZE=+1]Q9: Why dosen't my .apk get installed manually?[/SIZE]

Until i get a better solution, here are some workaround :
    1. Check you've enabled Unknown sources (settings>security>unknown sources)

If you did so, there are some workaround :
    2. At the phone first set-up (you may need to factory-reset to get that) - When Motorola assistant asks for data safety (just before the Google accounts question comes up), don't click accept, but tap on "data safety guidelines" and tick both settings to off. Then accept.
    3. Use adb :
      Code:
      adb install packagename.apk
    4. Use google drive to download the app (gdrive has an antivirus scanner that checks the app, since then it is considered as "safe" for the device and is correctly installed
    5. other workaround

[SIZE=+1]Q10: Where can i find a Custom recovery ?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Q11: How to access bootloader?[/SIZE]
    - Via ADB :
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

- The hard(ware) way :
    1. With the phone powered off, press the VOL DOWN KEY for 2-3 seconds then POWER key then release.
    2. The device will display different BOOT OPTIONS
    3. Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL to Recovery and VOL UP Key to select

[SIZE=+1]Q12: How to access recovery?[/SIZE]
    1. using terminal, if the device is already rooted
      Code:
      su
      reboot recovery
    2. via adb
      Code:
      adb reboot recovery
    3. via bootloader
      boot to bootloader (see Q11) and select recovery (use Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL to Recovery and VOL UP Key to select)

4. via external app

[SIZE=+1]Q13: How to force reboot my frozen device?[/SIZE]
    • Press and hold the Power button for 10 - 20 seconds, the device will restart and go through the boot-up sequence [source]
    • (VOL DOWN hold + a quick tap on POWER should force reboot when in bootloader) [source]

[SIZE=+1]Q14: How to charge my device and extend battery life?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Q15: Does rooting/unlocking your phone invalidate its warranty? (In EU)[/SIZE]
    In short: No. Just the fact that you modified or changed the software of your device, is not a sufficient reason to void your statutory warranty. As long as you have bought the device as a consumer in the European Union.
    [source]​

[SIZE=+1]Q16: What to do if my battery is fully discharged and not re-charging?[/SIZE]
    Motorola said:
    If your battery is completely discharged, it may take several minutes for the device to begin charging. The battery needs to charge to a minimum voltage before the system can boot up, and this may take a few moments to achieve.
    You may have experienced the 'sudden battery drop' : go to Q25 [source]
    Also refer to Moto G will not power up (Q28)​

[SIZE=+1]Q17: OMG i really bricked my device... Any chance getting it back to life ?[/SIZE]
    If your device is apparently dead, and does not look like a phone when connected to PC, then have a look at this guide by @Boss442

[SIZE=+1]Q18: How to flash Stock Radio (aka Baseband) / Kernel and why?[/SIZE]
    Flashing the latest Radio may help if you have problems with poor signal or wifi coverage. Flashing the SS (Single Sim) radio on a Dual Sim device may cause one or both Sims to stop working. Likewise, flashing the radio from a non-CDMA device to a CDMA one, is a very bad idea.

Flashing a newer / different Radio or Kernel may improve battery-life and general performance

ClockWorkMod Recovery or TWRP is required to flash these images.

[SIZE=+1]Q19: Lost IMEI ? : How to backup / restore PDS partition and why?[/SIZE]
    On Motorola devices the 'pds' partition contains information specific to your machine: IMEI, MAC address, serial number, etc. This partition can be lost by accidental format or over time due to filesystem corruption. If you have made a backup, there is a good chance you can bring your handset back to life.

==> PDS backup will help to restore lost IMEI. It is a situation when the phone reports that the IMEI is unknown. ; This works like a vaccine, apply before having issue with IMEI, after it will be too late !

Instructions:
    **Root Required**

Using ADB you can make a copy of the partition and move it to a safe place (Google Drive?):
    adb shell
    su
    dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/pds of=/sdcard/pds.img​

To restore in the event of corruption or loss:
    adb shell
    su
    dd if=/sdcard/pds.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/pds​
    (assuming you've pushed pds.img to internal SDcard storage first)

If for some reason this doesn't work, maybe your IMEI isn't destroyed but only not "readable" by system (file system issue? misread cluster reading frame ? no idea), in that case you may read the following story : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=52648789

[SIZE=+1]Q20: HOw to disable/enable auto On/Off screen with Flip Shell?[/SIZE]

• for stock rom : (disabling, since it's enabled by default)

• for CM11: (enabling, since it doesn't work by default)
    Follow this FAQ

[SIZE=+1]Q21: how to remove the 'unlocked warning' message?[/SIZE]
    Follow @ffosilva method and default Motorola logo will be back :)

[SIZE=+1]Q22: Why and How convert Moto G GPe to non-GPe ?[/SIZE]
    GPe uses EXT4 for it's 'userdata' filesystem, non-GPe uses f2fs. The GPe kernel expects an EXT4 partition and gives an encryption error if there isn't one. So just flashing a custom ROM won't work on GPe.​

Converting a GPe MOTO G to a non-GPe Moto G:
    (we would need someone to approve this method, and if you made it a different way, please, tell us)
    1) Fastboot flash retail US XT1032 stock firmware found here:

2) This will wipe the device, replace GPe kernel and radio with stock non-GPe versions and create a new partition table with f2fs filesystem for 'userdata.'

3) Custom ROMs will now work and as will all Motorola Moto G apps.​

[SIZE=+1]Q23: How to reboot into 'safe mode'?[/SIZE]

Press power button, on the pop up, either keep pressing 'shut down' [stock] or 'reboot' [AOSP based]
    more infos about this feature

[SIZE=+1]Q24: How to keep backups on my 8GB device without loosing space?[/SIZE]

To backup :
    • Use a micro USB-OTG adapter and a USB-storage
    • boot to recovery
    • go to backup and storage > backup to /storage/usbdisk
    • wait (it is really slower than when done to /sdcard ==> especially when generating md5sum!)
    • reboot your system
    To restore your backup :
    • Use a micro USB-OTG adapter and the USB-storage where the backup is located
    • boot to recovery
    • go to backup and storage > restore from /storage/usbdisk
    • wait (it is really slower than when done to /sdcard)
    • reboot your system

Enjoy !
    You now have a way to keep all your backups, without over flooding your device's storage ! (make sure you won't loose the external storage and keep it safe!)

[SIZE=+1]Q25: Abrupt Drop Battery Issue (Battery suddenly drops to 0%)[/SIZE]

Description: This issue appears to affect all versions of Moto G; while some people never experience it, others have it frequently. Most likely to occur when tethering / using USB cable. Android versions 4.3 and 4.4.2 are vulnerable.

Solution: Issue fixed in Android 4.4.3.

Kirk Stromberg said:
    If anyone else experiences this abrupt drop on your Moto G *after* updating to 4.4.3, we'll need your serial number/IMEI for further investigation and may need to be in more direct contact. Please send an email to:

supportforums@motorola.com

- with the title "Abrupt Drop" and
    -include your serial number (Settings>About Phone>Status) and
    - note to please forward to me (Kirk Stromberg).

We'll obviously keep working this here in the forums as well but want to isolate anyone still having this on 4.4.3, especially if it is repeats with some frequency. I know it is reproducible fairly reliably for some of you (tethering/USB cable).

[SIZE=+1]Q26: Isssues with MMS on boost mobile with Moto G ?[/SIZE]

Apply the following changes :
    apns-config.xml
    Code:
    <apn carrier="Boost Mobile" mcc="311" mnc="870" apn="n.boost.ispsn"
    mmsproxy="68.28.31.7" mmsport="80" mmsc="http://mm.myboostmobile.com"
    type="default,supl,mms,fota,dun" carrier_enabled="false" protocol="IPV4V6"
    roaming_protocol="IPV4V6" bearer="13" />

build.prop
    Code:
    ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric=311870
    ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha=Boost Mobile
    ro.telephony.default_network=13
    telephony.slteOnCdmaDevice=1

get more here

[SIZE=+1]Q27: Miracast / TV Screen-mirroring / DNLA app not working?[/SIZE]

Description: Android 4.4.2 added a 'Settings > Display > Cast screen' (Miracast) option, but it does not function - missing settings menu.

Solution: (Root Required)
    This feature now works correctly with Android 4.4.3. However, you still need to enable the 'Cast screen' settings menu by adding the following line (if not already present) to /system/build.prop:
    persist.debug.wfd.enable=1​

For quick access to the feature, install: Miracast Widget.

Additionally, 4.4.3 improves compatibility with Allcast and BubbleUPnP, along with other DNLA apps that did not operate correctly in 4.4.2

Simultaneous Internet connection and Screen-mirroring is not possible in Stock Motorola Firmware 4.4.3 or 4.4.4. This may change with a future update or with the release of Android 'L.' Most Custom ROMs do however support this ability.

The utility SecondScreen (root required) allows Moto G's screen resolution to be easily changed when Screen-mirroring - e.g. 720p or 1080p. The app has several additional features such as turning the phone's screen off and disabling haptic feedback in order to save battery usage while Screen-mirroring.​

[SIZE=+1]Q28: Moto G will not power up (addition to Q16 and Q25)[/SIZE]

1. Plug it into the charger
    2. Hold the VOL DOWN key
    3. While still holding the VOL DOWN key, press and hold the POWER key
    4. Hold both keys down for over 120 seconds. This is more than two minutes and will seem like a long time. You might want to time yourself to make sure you hold it longer than two minutes.
    5. After holding the keys down for more than two minutes, release them.
    6. The Flash Boot screen will display, and the Normal Reboot option will be highlighted
    7. Press the VOL UP key and the device will start a normal reboot.

If you have tried the above and it didn't work, try this:

• Plug in the phone for 15 minutes.
    • Proceed to Step 2 above.
    Source: https://forums.motorola.com/posts/3d5eadc25d

[SIZE=+1]Q29: 4.4.3 / 4.4.4 update issues[/SIZE]
    If after getting the update to 4.4.3 / 4.4.4 you encounter some problem, there are several options:

App-specific issues: Some apps may simply not be compatible with the latest version of Android and you have to wait until they are. You could always mention it to the App developer via Google Play.

Anything else: Could be solved be doing a Factory reset: (Back up anything important!)
    Setting > Backup & reset > Factory data reset (erase all data on phone)​

The best and cleanest way to get to 4.4.4 from a previous version of Android; is to Fastboot flash a Motorola Stock Factory Firmware Image. This can avoid any potential issues that may arise when upgrading via an Over the Air (OTA) update. Also see: "Q7: How to flash Stock Firmware?" in this FAQ.

Stock Factory Firmware Images are available here:

When new images are available they are announced here:

[SIZE=+1]Q30: i encounter '(bootloader) Preflash validation failed' error message when flashing Firmware Image[/SIZE]
    You may have updated to Android 4.4.4 via firmware image or OTA update. In this case you now also have the latest version of the Bootloader. That is why you get the above output when attempting to flash a 4.4.2 firmware image. ==> simply flash 4.4.4 images instead.
    If the error still occurs, even with a 4.4.4 firmware image, then unlocking bootloader will be necessary.​

[SIZE=+1]Q31: Various way to fine tune your Moto[/SIZE]
    Greenify : prevent unwanted apps from awaking device or runing in background (works on both rooted and not devices, but best performances are with rooted+Xposed.
    MinFree settings : if you think the moto G (4.4.4) is too aggressive about killing apps to free memory so that you can't switch between two large apps without it killing one app and restarting it. then try tuning MinFree settings, rooted devices only.

[SIZE=+1]Q32: What can i do with my Notification LED?[/SIZE]
    Actually your device has 2 LEDs [source] and here is how to play with it : http://xdaforums.com/moto-g/development/led-moto-g-led-custom-controls-t2951463

it can be used as a eMMC activity monitoring, or for charging or USB connected!​

[SIZE=+1]Q33: Spare space needed? using /cache partition[/SIZE]
    Moving /data/dalvik-cache to /cache/dalvik-cache to use the 600MB of /cache for something useful
    ==> only using Dalvik.
    ==> http://xdaforums.com/moto-g/general/mod-save-data-space-cache-partition-t2942765 (by @Bert98)​

[SIZE=+1]Q34: How can I add init.d Support to Stock ROM without using a Custom Kernel?[/SIZE]
    This can be done by adding the following to: /system/etc/init.qcom.post_boot.sh
    Code:
    # init.d support
    busybox run-parts /system/etc/init.d/
    Busybox also required. (Don't know what it is? search a little, it won't hurt you ;)

[SIZE=+1]Q35: I reduced brightness to 0 and got stuck with a black screen?[/SIZE]
    This appears to be a bug in 'Adaptive brightness.' Turning it off and on should stop this happening.
    If you are in this situation, try shining a torch light on the screen at an angle to make out the very dim display. You can also try swiping down the 'quick toggle' notification menu and changing brightness via the sliding bar. [Source]​

[SIZE=+1]Q36: I flashed a ROM and GPS has stopped working?[/SIZE]
    • Flash this 'no-GPS' fix zip via custom recovery.
    • Alternatively, enter Fastboot mode and type the following commands:
      Code:
      fastboot erase modemst1
      fastboot erase modemst2

[SIZE=+1]Q37: How can i update my bootloader ?[/SIZE]
    Understand the risks and simply choose between an automated process (for Windows users only) or the step by step one (for Linux users mainly) here

[...]​

[...]​

[...]​
    *​

This FAQ is part of a Recognized Contributor Group Initiative. Please look for a similar FAQ thread when visiting another device forum.
    A special thanks to everyone who contributed to the production of this FAQ

[SIZE=+3]Frequently Asked Questions[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2] Motorola Moto G

motorola-google.jpg
    [/SIZE]

Read Before Asking Please

[SIZE=+1]This a short list of frequently asked questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. Please only post in this thread with feedback on how to improve this document. Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own. Do not use this as a general help thread.[/SIZE]

To Browse quickly the FAQ and find what you need, Ctrl+F is the key feature ;)
    You may search in Motorola help topics too

Table of content :

Refer to :

THIS FAQ IS MADE FOR Moto G 'old' editions (NOT FOR 4G/LTE MODEL or 2d Gen [aka 2014])
    Unlocking Bootloader

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
    * YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

>>> Unlocking Bootloader will overwrite any data stored on your device, backup your files before proceeding <<<

For 4.4.2, an updated guide is available here

For real GPe devices (not ones with a GPe ROM added on it after the purchase), NO code is needed, simply skip to "3. Unlock"

1- Register to Motorola website

2- get your Device ID
    • Put your device in fastboot mode (power off, then press the power and volume down buttons simultaneously).
    • On your desktop, open a command prompt or terminal, and go to the directory where you installed the Android SDK tools (or make sure fastboot is in your $PATH)
    • At the prompt, type
    Code:
    • The returned string will be used to retrieve your unlock key.
    Example: On a Windows Desktop, the returned string format would be
    Code:
     (bootloader) 0A40040192024205#4C4D3556313230
     (bootloader) 30373731363031303332323239#BD00
     (bootloader) 8A672BA4746C2CE02328A2AC0C39F95
     (bootloader) 1A3E5#1F53280002000000000000000
     (bootloader) 0000000

On a Mac OS Desktop, the returned string format would be
    Code:
    INFO0A40040192024205#4C4D3556313230
     INFO30373731363031303332323239#BD00
     INFO8A672BA4746C2CE02328A2AC0C39F95
     INFO1A3E5#1F53280002000000000000000
     INFO0000000

Paste together the 5 lines of output into one continuous string without (bootloader) or ‘INFO’ or white spaces. Your string needs to look like this:
    Code:
    0A40040192024205#4C4D355631323030373731363031303332323239#BD008A672BA4746C2CE02328A2AC0C39F951A3E5#1F532800020000000000000000000000

3- Unlock
    • Check if your device can be unlocked by pasting this string in the pecific field on the Motorola website, and clicking “Can my device be unlocked?”
    • NOTE: If your device is unlockable, a "REQUEST UNLOCK KEY" button will now appear at the bottom of that page.
    • after you got the code type the following :
      Code:
      fastboot oem unlock <code>
      or for GPe devices :
      Code:
      fastboot oem unlock
      and wait your device to reboot !

4- Enjoy ;)

5- to relock, (pointless, isn't it?)
    First you'll need a stock firmware for your specific device [make sure the device number is the right one at least...]
    Then follow these steps:
    1. Open the zip
    2. Find 'flashfile.xml'
    3. Make sure to check integrity of EACH img/bin files in the stock firmware zip before proceeding (to do that, look at the flashfile.xml)
      e.g.:
      Code:
          <step MD5="daae9a555a3789558ee44f9e1fddc8c5" filename="gpt.bin" operation="flash" partition="partition"/>
      check that gpt.bin MD5 is really daae9a555a3789558ee44f9e1fddc8c5 and has not been corrupted during download/unpacking
    4. Prepare your device (boot to fastboot) and start relocking:
      Code:
      fastboot oem lock begin
    5. Flash in the order:
      Code:
      mfastboot flash partition gpt.bin
      mfastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
      mfastboot flash logo logo.bin
      mfastboot flash boot boot.img
      mfastboot flash recovery recovery.img
      mfastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0 // note that you may have more or less sparsechunks, FLASH THEM ALL
      mfastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1 // alternatively the files could be named system.img_sparsechunk[1-3] instead
      mfastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
      mfastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.3
      mfastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
      mfastboot erase modemst1 
      mfastboot erase modemst2 
      mfastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
      mfastboot erase cache
      mfastboot erase userdata
    6. Finish relocking:
      Code:
      mfastboot oem lock
    7. Done!
    some usefull lines of commands for any user wanting to know what's going on:

requirements :
    • On Windows : install Moto G drivers and
    • On Linux : set your rules following that guide (3. Set up your system to detect your device.) : add to /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules the following code
      Code:
      #motog normal mode
      SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="22b8", ATTR{idProduct}==”2e82″, MODE="0666"
      #motog debug mode
      SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="22b8", ATTR{idProduct}==”2e76″, MODE="0666"
      #motog fastboot mode
      SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="22b8", ATTR{idProduct}==”2e80″, MODE="0666"
      For specific access by one group of users, add GROUP="[groupname]"

Let's start ! :
    • in terminal, just type the lines,
    • in ADB, add "adb" before the commands
    • if you want not to display the output in terminal, specify the path :
      Code:
      command > /where_you_want_your_output_to_be_stored/name_you_want_for_the_log

to know if KSM is really turned on : KSM means Kernel Samepage Merging, may not exist on Moto G stock or custom roms
    Code:
    cat /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/run

to know what modules are running :
    Code:
    lsmod

install an app from terminal :
    Code:
    pm install /sdcard/app1.apk
    from adb :
    Code:
    adb install /home/user/app1.apk
    (if your .apk is located there :p)

your kernel crashed?
    Code:
    cat /proc/last_kmsg
    ex : from adb, and stored in /home/user/last_kmsg1
    Code:
    adb cat /proc/last_kmsg > /home/user/last_kmsg1

an app crashed, you want to know why?
    Code:
    logcat
    ex : from adb and stored in /home/user/myfirstlogever
    Code:

don't have an USB cable ?or adb "other the air" :
    connect to your home wifi network (both device and pc)
    in settings/dev options/ enable adb on TCP/IP
    Code:
    adb connect xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5555
    (the IP is the one displayed in the option you choose previously :)
    and then, since it is connected, catch the log :
    Code:

All commands and syntax used for ADB can be found here

More is coming ;)
    enjoy !
    Some Links you may need for Moto G

Links that you may need :

This post is linked in OP, it will contain any link you could need for your Moto G