802.1x

Search This thread

Kyonz

Jun 7, 2010
Auckland, New Zealand
Hmmm this probably raises a good point, it's a bit hard to implement something like 802.1x though on a streamer device (where authentication is required per login of network prior to you having the ability to control the device).

I don't see this coming for awhile to be honest unless someone manages to hack it in - I just can't see Google releasing the ability to cache 802.1x network credential sets unfortunately due to the security implications.

rans0m00

Oct 11, 2012
Friend of mine had to buy his own router to plug in to the colleges ethernet ports in the dorm. Solved a variety of issues they were having.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
Why Google you no like college students?
Beyond the lack of keyboard/interface, large networks in general fear multicast and UPnP because they have potential to easily clog the network.

Also remember that Chromecast in its current state has little security - it's designed for use within a trusted environment.

You probably don't want to be in the middle of Twilight with your girlfriend and suddenly your Chromecast switches over to SpongeBob SquarePants because someone else in the dorm decided BobsChromecast obviously wants to show SpongeBob... ;)

Having your own router and local network will isolate your Chromecast to just your little piece of the campus network, though double-NAT might be an issue, and you should check with campus policy on use of personal WiFi router/AP hardware.

ninepoint

Apr 1, 2011
Bergen
I've got a similar problem. I use a studentnet, were I can either plug in directly into the wall and log in once every day or setup a router with a PPTP-connection to automatically log into the student-network. I've got the latter set up and it works like a charm.

Thankfully I had a rootable CC so I could set it to use my ISP's DNS but I would love if it if I were able to use a different DNS (aka Unlocator/Unblock) to enjoy the US-version of Netflix, but every time I change the DNS-servers my internetconnection dies.

Is there any way to actually do fix my problem? I know this is more of a network-question than a CC-one, but CC is included in the problem :)

I use a Netgear WNR3500LV2 as my router.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
I've got a similar problem. I use a studentnet, were I can either plug in directly into the wall and log in once every day or setup a router with a PPTP-connection to automatically log into the student-network. I've got the latter set up and it works like a charm.

Thankfully I had a rootable CC so I could set it to use my ISP's DNS but I would love if it if I were able to use a different DNS (aka Unlocator/Unblock) to enjoy the US-version of Netflix, but every time I change the DNS-servers my internetconnection dies.

Is there any way to actually do fix my problem? I know this is more of a network-question than a CC-one, but CC is included in the problem :)

I use a Netgear WNR3500LV2 as my router.
First question is whether you can use a different DNS at all (or whether your ISP is blocking somehow).

Try doing a DNS lookup from another server on your phone/tablet via Ping & DNS or another app that lets you do that.

If that's successful, then it might work - go to the Eureka-ROM web panel at http://Chromecast_IP_addresss/ and turn off DHCP-supplied DNS, Apply, then select another DNS.

You will also need to force your phone/tablet to use the same DNS - otherwise your phone/tablet may be making requests from Mars, while Chromecast tries to retrieve stuff from Venus.