[Q] Lg 4x hd v20b to v20a firmware

Search This thread

kudja91

Dec 30, 2012
Knin
Hi guys, if someone could help me with this I would be so grateful!
Few months back, I've installed Jelly Bean on my LG 4X HD through LGPCsuite. It started lagging so much after that update, it's almost impossible to work with it. When I'm trying to call someone it takes about 10 secs to even start calling, not to mention how home screen lags after closing app etc. I've read here, on xda, that the best solution would be to downgrade to ICS. Anyway, I really didn't like ICS; camera is much better on JB then on ICS (it took blurry pics) plus some other things I really like more on JB. I have JB v20b and I was wondering: if I install v20a will lagging be less? I really want to use JB, not ICS. Plus, if someone can tell me how should I do that? Or tell me what would really be best solution. I'm kinda scared of installing custom rom, so I'm trying to avoid that. Plus, I'm from Croatia and could I install EUROPE OPEN ANEUBK VERSION firmware?
Thanks so much, I really hope someone will help me!
Plus, please don't mind if I'm asking some nonsense, I'm really new at this.

duke_dreadmoore

Aug 14, 2010
Malang
That's it. I think 4x is a very bad product. Great specs but very bad OS.
Ics lags to much, mainly on camera, I barely can take photos. Jb lags everywhere.
So no solusion. I've just sold my 4x and changed to L80.. really smooth despite the lower specs.

Sent from my LT29i using Tapatalk

kudja91

Dec 30, 2012
Knin
Okay, I've been surfing xda forums for the last few hours and I've figured that custom roms aren't so bad. So, can someone suggest me which one is the best for lg 4x hd? Camera is really important for me, so I'm hoping there are custom roms with properly working camera.

duke_dreadmoore

Aug 14, 2010
Malang
Custom roms based on stock/original won't help. The performance is the same.
If you want to be faster, use CM, you can try Xenon rom. But CM always have bugs : sometimes freezes, and dark photos

kudja91

Dec 30, 2012
Knin
Custom roms based on stock/original won't help. The performance is the same.
If you want to be faster, use CM, you can try Xenon rom. But CM always have bugs : sometimes freezes, and dark photos

but custom roms aren't based on 4.1.2., isn't that right? They're based on 4.3. or 4.4 versions. I've been watching some videos on YT and phones with custom roms are super fast, so I'm confused now :confused:

Dec 25, 2013
Some are, some aren't. If you look around this forum you'll see that the android version is always in the original post of the ROM thread. Using a custom ROM won't automatically make your phone "super fast", though mine is smoother since I switched from stock. "What's the best xxx" threads aren't allowed on XDA because there is no right or wrong answer: it depends on what you're looking for. I've tried Cyanogenmod 11 and Paranoid Android and found PA to be faster and slightly more stable, but I prefer CM because it gives me better battery life and there are alternatives to the features of PA that made me change (peek and hover) on CM. Look around these forums and see what works for you :)
A word of advice though: make sure you do your homework before you install it. Read all you can before starting, or you could brick your phone!

n3mvn

Jul 16, 2014
I have experience with few P880s. Stock roms arent that bad.
In case you want to flash back stock roms. I give you this link for stock firmware of LG phone http://lg-phone-firmware.com/
With custom roms, I often start with CM, then try others.

Hope this help.

tamer7

Jul 14, 2014
Berlin
my first android phone, best bang for the buck

this is my first android, and I love it, despite the software issues with Stock LG firmware, whether ICS or JB. P.S. my baseband is v20c (UAE).

Quick note, which may cost you seconds of your time and perhaps solve all your issues before jumping to other, custom ROMs. Have you disabled MLT from the hidden menu? (many users reported that it solves the lags)
Open Dialer -> Dial: 3845#*880# -> MLT (all the way at the bottom of the list) -> disable

I tried it on JB (4.1.2) and it definitely helped with the lags.

But then few days later, I decided I wanna play with Kitkat 4.4.4, and I went for the most customization-rich ROM: Beanstalk, and also added the stock LG camera app from JB. Why? because it is faster and the focus is a little better I think. The only thing that doesn't work in it is that if you switch to front-facing camera, it is just a full green screen. However, the camera app that comes in beanstalk doesn't have this problem with front-facing camera. And, you get to have both camera apps installed, so you can switch and compare quality.
The only trick to get the last build of Beanstalk (4.4.4007 , 14/07/14) booting was to also flash iodak v10 kernel immediately after the BS ROM. Then of course gapps (google apps).
Only issue or bug I noticed is you get an error message about DSP manager crashing when playing music, but the music plays afterwards. This is a known issue and should be fixed in later releases.

Alternatively, if you prefer simplicity over customizations, and rock solid stability over latest/bleeding-edge releases, you could go with the stable version of CyanogenMod 10.1.3

Hope I helped.