Official - the 4.X.X update - discussion thread

Search This thread

Naddict

Nov 23, 2011
28.2S, 92.1W
For when it happens, please use this thread to have your respectful discussion. Thanks all!

BIG NEWS...many users are asking to highlight this one post here

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51447667&postcount=338 care of @Azrael.arach

This is for people that had the first problem of mobicore problem.

Warning::: THIS WORKED FOR ME BUT I CAN NOT SAY FOR EVERYONE. I AM NOT A DEVELOPER SO MY KNOWLEDGE IS VERY LIMITED!!!!

You need to download the update file from this thread. You will need to rename it to change the .cfg to .zip

Attached is a fix.zip that contains the files you need. You will need to be on a nb4 with root.

Extract zip files and copy them to your internal memory on phone.

Step 1 copy the mobicore-presetup.sh to /system/bin

Step 2 copy all the apk files to /system/app.

Step 3 For each apk you copied you need to set the rght persmissions. rw-r--r--

Step 4 Copy the update file that you renamed to external sdcard.

Step 5 Reboot into recovery by rebooting phone. As soon as screen goes blank from shutting down hold Volume Up + Home + Power. Once you see rebooting into recovery let go of only power button and wait.

Step 6 Once in recovery use the volume down button to highlight update from external storage and hit the power button.

Step 7 Use volume buttons to scroll down to update file and use power button to select it.

Step 8 Wait for about 5 to 10 minutes.

Step 9 You will be returned to recovery menu, scroll down using volume buttons to wipe cache and hit power button.

Step 10 Hit power button on reboot and wait.

Last edited by a moderator:

SunnyOK

Mar 25, 2011
We still expect official kitKat 4.4.2.
We also wish to have 4.4.2 Safestrap to promote KitKat.

smokestack76

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 18, 2008
Clinton Indiana
I would think by now everyone in a rush or wanting the latest greatest would get a nexus. Or the other phones google has now! I knew when i chose this device AT&T is slow to update.

Sent via carrier pigeon!

Dr. Evo

May 24, 2010
Washington, DC
The nexus is a developer phone. Many of us want the refined camera and eye candy and s pen, etc. I think stock Google is ugly. I like touchwiz and pan to try out Tizen if a device is ever released.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Agreed. Not now nor have ever been a fan of stock Android. I really don't understand the hype. When Android first hit the scene, I remember all the rave being about "ultimate customization" and "tons of features." Now, when I hear people always b*tching and moaning about why there's upset ALL Android phones don't come stock — it seems like the arguments is "I love the simplicity and 'cleaness' of it all."

I'm like, if I wanted watered-down and simple, I'd buy an iPhone and stick to iOS! That's the one positive thing I can say about iOS... it's polished and it generally works. However, it's very minimalist, not customizable, and lacks features. Why on Earth someone would want and Android phone to go as bare-boned as possible, makes no sense to me. I, too, find stock Android to be really ugly, IMO. I find nothing attractive about the look.

I want a phone full of customization and features, and that's what TouchWiz gives me. I have never had an issue with the TW versions found on the original Note and up. I really don't get all the hate but whatever. I am a TW fan and as long as it doesn't get super stale like HTC Sense did when I was diehard fan, I'm good to go!

MMcCraryNJ

Jul 19, 2010
Acworth, GA USA
If there is any more of a delay, my theory is that AT&T decided to wait for the 4.4 update from Samsung that restores third party S-View case functionality.

If you look at the timeline of when Samsung updated the Note 3 unlocked and international models, they pushed out the KitKat update, and then about a week or two later, announced a second update was in the works to fix the issue. As far as I know, that update hasn't been pushed to any device as of yet. This was about a month ago.

Plausible theory, I think. Either way, I'm in no rush. 4.3 NB4 working great for me, and after owning a Galaxy Nexus on Verizon before this, I'm not feeling the "root and ROM" itch just yet.

phaggard

Mar 14, 2012
If you want to have great customization try Nova Launcher. I currently have 6 x 9 icon grid and widgets can be resized and overlapped. I can never go back to Touchwiz.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

dligon

Oct 22, 2010
TEXAS
Att says in a press release its no use pushing out 4.4 when 5.0 lemon drop will be out soon so they will just push that out 18 months after its release and so on and so on....

Intub8

Mar 3, 2012
Att says in a press release its no use pushing out 4.4 when 5.0 lemon drop will be out soon so they will just push that out 18 months after its release and so on and so on....

I won't mind waiting for lemon drop because I will already have a sour taste in my mouth after waiting for my gps to work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium HD app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is for people that had the first problem of mobicore problem.

Warning::: THIS WORKED FOR ME BUT I CAN NOT SAY FOR EVERYONE. I AM NOT A DEVELOPER SO MY KNOWLEDGE IS VERY LIMITED!!!!

You need to download the update file from this thread. You will need to rename it to change the .cfg to .zip

Attached is a fix.zip that contains the files you need. You will need to be on a nb4 with root.

Extract zip files and copy them to your internal memory on phone.

Step 1 copy the mobicore-presetup.sh to /system/bin

Step 2 copy all the apk files to /system/app.

Step 3 For each apk you copied you need to set the rght persmissions. rw-r--r--

Step 4 Copy the update file that you renamed to external sdcard.

Step 5 Reboot into recovery by rebooting phone. As soon as screen goes blank from shutting down hold Volume Up + Home + Power. Once you see rebooting into recovery let go of only power button and wait.

Step 6 Once in recovery use the volume down button to highlight update from external storage and hit the power button.

Step 7 Use volume buttons to scroll down to update file and use power button to select it.

Step 8 Wait for about 5 to 10 minutes.

Step 9 You will be returned to recovery menu, scroll down using volume buttons to wipe cache and hit power button.

Step 10 Hit power button on reboot and wait.
    Finally got mine to patch!

----CONFIGURATION OF MY PHONE -------------
    +My phone was rooted via Kingo 1.18 on MJ5.
    +Upgraded to NB4 via OTA.
    +SafeStrap installed with 1 custom Rom on Slot 1. The "Stock" slot was untouched in SafeStrap.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

What I Did:

1) Boot into SafeStrap
    2) Go to the Rom slots and delete all Roms and Partitions EXCEPT the stock slot (AGAIN, LEAVE THE STOCK SLOT ALONE!)
    3) Reboot into the Stock Rom
    4) Open the SafeStrap App and uninstall the bootloader

If Wanam Xposed is installed on your phone continue, else skip 5 & 6
    5) Open Xposed app and Uninstall the Xposed Framework
    6) Uninstall Wanam Xposed and Xposed apps

If you froze/Deleted any System apps continue, else skip 7 & 8
    7) Open the app you used to freeze the system apps (e.g. Titanium Backup) and unfreeze them
    8) If manually removed the system apps, go into your backup folder and restore them along with changing their permissions (search the forums for better explanations)

9) Open Root Explorer (or any file manager with root access) and go to /system/csc/
    10) Look for feature.xml.bak. If this exists, delete feature.xml and rename feature.xml.bak to feature.xml
    11) Go to /system/bin/
    12) Look for ddexe_real. If this exists, delete ddexe and rename ddexe_real to ddexe.

13) Connect your phone to your computer and transfer the OTA Zip (here) to your External SD
    14) Reboot into Recovery and select the update from SD Card option.
    15) Choose the OTA Zip file and let the Flashing Start!

If this helped you, please hit the Thank You button and let us know.
    Just to clear up any confusion...

There is no issue with the OTA in and of itself. If there was a mass problem, ATT would have recalled the update and made an announcement about it. The reason it is failing for some is because, at one point, these people had done something to their system. Either manually flashed a file in recovery, such as the GPS fix, or the leaked KK update from a month and a half ago, or attempted to root, or deleted system apps/bloatware. If you have never modified your system, or ran any task that would have modified your system in any way, the OTA works as intended. The tiniest change to your system, even if you're not rooted and are on stock NB4, would cause the update to fail.

What the update is doing is running a full system scan before applying the update. It's looking for every system app, every piece of bloatware, every system configuration file, etc, and comparing the data within to a reference list, so that each file can be updated. The OTA does not include the FULL system, meaning the data in the OTA cannot be used to make a full system image. That is, after all, the point of an "update" file. All of the apps and bloatware contained within the OTA are not the full apps, but are only the fragments of the apps that need to be updated. If the OTA was a full system image, it would be many GBs.

A lot of people are wondering why the NB4 update worked on modified MJ5 systems, but not this one. The NB4 update was a very small maintenance update that likely did not update any of the system files that are commonly modified, so it did not need to run the same kind of scans on the file system. The KK update, regardless of how people view it as, was a monster update which also updated every system app.

I've also seen some people mention that merely disabling a system/bloatware app through the Application Manager in Android would cause the OTA to fail. I can tell you that is not the case, as I had every ATT app and a lot of the Samsung provided apps disabled via this method. My OTA gave me no issues. Bottom line, if the update fails for you, you have either modified, or attempted to modify the system in some way, big or small. If you bought the phone used, or "certified refurbished", or if someone other than you uses it, they have attempted to modify the system, or have done so in the past.

The good news is that, even if you have modified the system, the talented people in this thread have figured out the issues and developed work-arounds. These will work. Just read, and follow instructions.
    Uploading to Dropbox. Link on the way.......

*dropbox suspended my public links*